Review the last movie you viewed (NO LISTS)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Queen Bee

Blue Crack Addict
Please don't shoot him. He's just an intern.
There seems to be some confusion over the new format with these movie threads, so here's a fresh start.

Briefly review the last movies you've viewed. These don't have to be the most eloquent reviews. Write a quick sentence on what you thought of a movie. It's nice to have something to read other than a :up: / :down: or simply the title of a movie. Plus, reviews can lead to discussions!

Sweet, sweet discussions :drool:

For added fun, review the movie out of 5 or 10.

My bashing of X-Men was overshadowed by other stuffs. Repost!

• X-Men 3: The Last Stand

First of all, I hate super-hero movies.

h8 h8 h8 h8 h8

Buuuuut, I'm a sucker for special effects.

Plot made me laugh a few times, but really, with lines like 'She was covered in a cocoon of her awesome Level 5 mutant power' how can you not?

5.5/10

See guys? It's not that hard. I have the writing skills of a twelve year old (just check out the movies I reviewed at the other thread) but all I had to say was: I liked/disliked this movie because...

The Family Stone

I remember when I saw the preview for this way back when, I thought this was the crappiest movie ever. It looked just like Meet The Parents or something. Anyway, I picked it up at Blockbuster over the long weekend and was pleasantly surprised.

It's the story of a diverse, but very close, family and a Christmas meeting between them and the girlfriend of the eldest sons.

Relationships crumble and rebuild, and the family comes together again after they learn that one of them is gravely ill.

7/10

Let it be noted that I saw this dubbed in Spanish. I think it might actually be funny if you watch it in English.

i'm still going to see xmen, i don't care what you say, got-eggs. same goes for the famil stone in reverse, actually :hmm:

baraka

0/10

maybe that's not too fair because i barely saw any of it. but hell, it was boring. i fell asleep 10 minutes into it.

the family guy stewie movie

7/10

it was funny. but it could have been funnier.

got_edge said:
The Family Stone

Let it be noted that I saw this dubbed in Spanish. I think it might actually be funny if you watch it in English.
trust me, it isn't. i saw it when it was out and i thought it was lame. i'd give it like a 6/10 or something like that.

i'm going to the movies tomorrow so maybe i can contribute then :hmm:

KhanadaRhodes said:

trust me, it isn't. i saw it when it was out and i thought it was lame. i'd give it like a 6/10 or something like that.

:up: times a million.

The trailers made it seem like a funny holiday movie. We saw it on Christmas Day. What a Debbie Downer. :sad:

got_edge said:

It wasn't. I watched it last week, and the thing I found most entertaining about it was the things I was yelling at the TV. Potentially great characters who were poorly developed. I reviewed it near the end of the last thread and couldn't give it any higher than a 5/10.

I'm copying this right off my xanga, so perhaps it might not make perfect sense but...

The Da Vinci Code

In the tradition of almost all movies, The Da Vinci Code is almost nothing close to the book. However, obviously the original plot was there still. With a length of 2 and a half hours, I was very frightened that this movie would get really boring, really fast, but, quite on the contrary, the time flew. Sure, there were major discrepencies between the book and the movie, but that's not what's important. What's important is that they took a good book, and, in my opinion, made an even better movie. This movie is definently slightly watered down to please both their Christian fans, and their non-Christian fans, and really, I prefer it that way. Much easier for me to swallow, and I hope I don't sound like an 1)religious nut, 2) religious loser.

But really I can not leave out that fact, that as horrible as I said Tom Hanks was for a choice to play Robert Langdon, I was sadly mistaken. He was fantastic, and in my opinion stole the whole movie. All the casting was good really. Ian McKellen, was just perfection. The only person I wasn't quite pleased with was Sophie.

As many of you know, I do NOT like Ron Howard's films, but I must say, with the film version of Da Vinci Code, I'm certainly starting to come around to him.

Anyway, I loved that movie to death, and I sorta liked it better than the book, which as I am currently reading Angels and Demons, I am finding out is not the greatest book ever written (Da Vinci Code that is, I :love: A&D)

Anway, that's my two cents on that movie

9/10

Oh and the end...the end of that movie makes my heart flutter :cute: definently my favorite ending of any movie I've ever seen. Mostly because when I read the book that was exactly how I pictured that scene to be, orchastra, slow motion knee-drop and all. Dan Brown wrote the epilogue for the movies :wink:

Da Vinci Code

7/10 Given the critics' bashing, I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. Casting was good, except Tom Hanks didn't convince me as Robert Langdon. And I agree, superb ending :yes:

FreedomLand

overall movie was ok, average about 6/10 I suppose. Compared to other movies I have seen lately, it at least kept my interest to view the whole thing. And I admit, I was surpised in the end to find out who actually did it, you kind of knew, and then ya think naaaa, then you find out and well, there ya go, surprised me. I thought it was a good rental.

Meet the Fockers
I enjoyed Dustin Hoffman and Robert De Niro's performances. :up:
Usual so/so acting from Ben Stiller.
Overall very funny film, i've seen Meet the Parents, which i like, but i can't decide which is best.
7/10

:)

waynetravis said:
Meet the Fockers
I enjoyed Dustin Hoffman and Robert De Niro's performances. :up:
Usual so/so acting from Ben Stiller.
Overall very funny film, i've seen Meet the Parents, which i like, but i can't decide which is best.
7/10

:)

that movie was totally unfunny. the epitome of unfunny, really. there was maybe one joke that they milked throughout the entire 2 hours. painful.

i should have added in my "i'm going to see x3 and i'm going to like it!!" that i sat through van helsing just because hugh jackman was in it. :shifty: but i did like the other two xmen movies. so i'll probably enjoy this one. yeah.

Dumb and Dumber

One of my favorite comedies of the '90s. It's complete and utter stupidity at its finest. Kudos to Jeff Daniels for showing off his versatility. Still, because it's really stupid I have moments of "what the hell? why are they doing that"s and it loses points for that.

8/10

Reservoir Dogs

Love the pacing and editing and film geek dialogue, but not The cringeworthy scene.

Words that come to mind: sound of mulchy flesh, quips, fast, old mustangs

Rating: 6/10

foray

Alive - :sad:

Incredible story of survival based on a true story of a Uruguayan rugby team whose plane crashed in the Andes where they were stranded for 72 days. Rations quickly run out and they're forced to go extremes to remain nourished. The cinematography was very well done and the ensemble cast was decent, but not great. The documentaries on the DVD are definitely worth checking out for a first-hand account from the men that survived the harrowing experience.

8.5/10

over the hedge

yeah, it's a kid's movie, i don't care. it's basically a story about a bunch of animals who awake from hibernation to find out most of their forest has been taken over by land developers and stupid suburbanites. one line in particular made me giggle where one animal was explaining all of the human's possessions to the rest of the animals and was explaining the suv. "how many people fit in there?" "normally, about one." :giggle:

suburban hate gives it an 8/10

hey, i want to see over the hedge. and the new pixar one.

got_edge said:

:drool:

:lol:

:lmao:

L for LOVE!
van helsing was so bad, but at least i managed to stay until the end. can't say the same for meet the fockers.

Queen Bee said:
Flightplan - :down:

I caught this on TV on a whim. Big waste of time. Sloppy twist, dull plot, and over-the-top acting from the cast (Sean Bean was alright, though). Really laaaaame overall.

1/10

Lowell, what was Jack Bauer doing on that plane?

The Ice Storm

8/10

Great movie staring Tobey Maguire from 1997. The movie is set in 1973 and deals with a dysfuctional family.
Its as if American Beauty and Ordinary People got together and had a baby.

Highly recommended.

Election

Very funny black comedy with Matthew Broderick as a teacher who's life falls apart because of the corruption of a high school student council election. Reese Witherspoon is also in this, and she does a great job too.

I definitely reccommend this:

9/10.

IWasBored said:
i
baraka

0/10

maybe that's not too fair because i barely saw any of it. but hell, it was boring. i fell asleep 10 minutes into it.

Wow, I thought that was a beautiful film. The shots were absolutely amazing, but then I was always a big National Geographic junkie so this is right up my alley.

The religious chanting in the middle of the movie and the favelas of Brazil were stunning.

One of the loveliest cinematographic experiences ever. It looks amazing on an LCD TV if you have one, much more crisp than the plasmas.

Going to see An Inconvenient Truth this afternoon.

LemonMacPhisto said:
Election

Very funny black comedy with Matthew Broderick as a teacher who's life falls apart because of the corruption of a high school student council election. Reese Witherspoon is also in this, and she does a great job too.

I definitely reccommend this:

9/10.

Awesome movie. I loved it.

I saw "Kinky Boots" last week-end. Very delightful movie with some very colorful characters. I'd give it a 7 out of 10.

Derailed

I have been wanting to rent it for a while now. Jennifer Anniston is not so innocent in this movie! If you like flicks with twists and turns at the end, this one sure has them. What I thought was your average extra marital affair gone bad had me shocked till the very end. Very good, I'd give it an 8/10.

Snatch - the 2nd Guy Ritchie movie.
8/10.
Incredibly funny, with the final twist and arguably the weirdest English accent ever by Brad Pitt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom