Review the last movie you viewed (NO LISTS)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
World Trade Center - 9/10

This is the first Oliver Stone movie I've ever seen....and I have to say that I've never cried so much as I have with this one. This movie was more tramatic to me than seeing the actual footage was 5 years ago cause of the fact I was inside the building when it went down along with the two main characters. Very good movie though.

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974) - 7/10

I liked it despite the campy acting, but that's expected with low-budget movies from the 70s. This is the only movie that has ever made me feel nauseated. Ugh, that infamous dinner scene :sick::sad::sick:

Has anyone seen the remake? I've been interested in checking it out. I'll skip it if it sucks.

Queen Bee said:

I liked it despite the campy acting, but that's expected with low-budget movies from the 70s. This is the only movie that has ever made me feel nauseated. Ugh, that infamous dinner scene :sick::sad::sick:

Has anyone seen the remake? I've been interested in checking it out. I'll skip it if it sucks.

I've seen the remake....it's what you expect of a big budgeted hollywood remake. Some parts of it is cool....but it's what you expect. I like the original too.

Snakes on a Plane.

I have no idea how to rate this one, honestly. It was that absurd, but if you need to not think about life for a couple of hours and just sit with a group of people to share an absurd experience with, go for it!

Little Miss Sunshine - 10/10

Hilarious - you all were so right :up:
Superfreak :lol:
...in the trunk :lol:

First thing we noticed at the end of the movie was the writer, Michael Arndt. He may be the father of one of my daughter's friends. Hard to find info on him on the internet, but we found out he was a first time writer (could be) and sold his script for $250,000. And we did hear that he recently did some remodeling :hmm: Waiting for a callback from a mutual Mom to confirm if this is one & the same person. We know he has been doing Shakepeare in the Park in the past years, and worked in the drama dept. (I believe) in a nearby college :hmm:

Invincible

10/10

First movie I've seen to accurately portray South Philadelphia. Very real. Great bar scenes. Great fan scenes. I'm biased 'cause the last Eagles movie was Trash Picking Field Goal Kicking Philadelphia Phenomenon and we needed to put that behind us.

phillyfan26 said:
Invincible

10/10

First movie I've seen to accurately portray South Philadelphia. Very real. Great bar scenes. Great fan scenes. I'm biased 'cause the last Eagles movie was Trash Picking Field Goal Kicking Philadelphia Phenomenon and we needed to put that behind us.

saw that movie today, it was alright but nothing special.

I was waiting for something great to happen, and then it ended.

And I love Elizabeth Banks (Janet), she was great in The 40 Year Old Virgin, and I hear she was good in Slither. I hope she's the "Next Big Thing" pretty soon.

Queen Bee said:

The original one did nothing for me but the remake scared the absolute hell out of me. Believe it's worth the time to time to watch it.

I watched Paper Clips earlier this evening. It's a documentary about 8th graders in a rural, very homogenous part of Tennessee who, while studying the Holocaust, decide to try to collect 6 million paper clips to memorialize the 6 million Jewish people who died in concentration camps.

It's a very powerful film--simple but stunning. The students were so transformed by the experience, and by the letters and paper clips they received from people all over the world. The end of the movie takes place in the fall of 2001, and the unity shown by the students and the community is especially uplifting.

I'd recommend this movie to anyone, especially families. It's a very powerful reminder about the importance of honoring the past and how the past can inform our lives now. 9.75/10

(I wanted just a few more of the letters they received, which was my only complaint. Considering it's only 96 minutes, I think they could've included a few more)

Great review, BonoIsMyMuse :up:. That documentary has been in my Netflix queue for a couple of weeks now. I'm definitely going to bump it up.

Crank - 7.5/10

Non-stop action flick with loads of ridiculous over-the-top action sequences and hilarious scenes. I had absolutely no intention seeing this movie tonight, but I'm actually glad I did. Like most action movies it lacks a sensible plot, but I really didn't care. It was an entertaining movie from start to finish. The reactive audience I watched it with made the atmosphere enjoyable.

It Takes Two

9/10

one of mary kate and ashley olsons best movies imo

LemonMacPhisto said:

saw that movie today, it was alright but nothing special.

I was waiting for something great to happen, and then it ended.

It was a movie about a special teamer - that's as great as it gets.

I loved his friends because those guys were true Philadelphians. They had the personalities down. Rarely do they get it right.

the sentinel
2/10
filmed like a tv show, boring and useless tv plot. i've never watched 24, but please tell me it's not that lame. and there was only one explosion. what's up with that?

l.a. confidential
5/10
way too long. the mock update film noir style looked nice, but the story line was only mildly entertaining.

the matador
9/10
absolutely funny stuff. cracked-out plot, but not so cracked out it was stupid. and the goofy suits and colors didn't come off as pretentious arty garbage.

no, he was awesome.

(in case it makes a difference, it's the only movie i've ever seen with him in it)

:bump:

The Black Dahlia

-100/10

One of the worst movies I've ever seen in my life. Horribly acted, horrible dialogue. It's all over the place so you have no idea what's going on the entire time. And it also has basically nothing to do with the Elizabeth Short murder. Maybe at the end it somehow ties in with these equally boring storylines. :yuck: It was just plain awful. We kept remarking at how cheap the beginning of the movie looked. It felt like we were watching people in costumes just reading from a script instead of acting.

Awful. Awful. Awful. Awful.

I counted about 30 people getting up to leave from the theater. Everyone else that stayed to the end kept talking about how awful it was.

You'd expect more from De Palma. :tsk:

:down:

PlaTheGreat said:
:bump:

The Black Dahlia

-100/10

One of the worst movies I've ever seen in my life. Horribly acted, horrible dialogue. It's all over the place so you have no idea what's going on the entire time. And it also has basically nothing to do with the Elizabeth Short murder. Maybe at the end it somehow ties in with these equally boring storylines. :yuck: It was just plain awful. We kept remarking at how cheap the beginning of the movie looked. It felt like we were watching people in costumes just reading from a script instead of acting.

I counted about 30 people getting up to leave from the theater. Everyone else that stayed to the end kept talking about how awful it was.

You'd expect more from De Palma. :tsk:

:down:

Wow I didn't think it was that bad, but I know what you're saying. It was stuck trying to acheive some look and feel of films from the 50's and it came off wrong.

The person I went with was laughing at some of the more dramatic scenes because they were overdone. Scarlett Johansen biting her fist....

How much of this is true? I wonder about the Bobby DeWit plotline?? Is this even a good guess as to who killed her?

I'm off to google

that didn't take long..
http://www.bethshort.com/film06-discrepancies.php

Last edited:
PlaTheGreat said:

The Black Dahlia

-100/10

:down: :down: :down:

bang on, plathe. i thought it was awful too. i think de palma was going for a film noir type thing, but couldn't pull it off. i wonder if it had been shot in black and white, if it woud have lent a bit more gravity to the movie. instead, like redkat mentioned, some of the more dramatic scenes came off as just silly. like when scarlett johannsen makes herself and josh hartnett dinner and then hartnett rips the tablecloth off the table just as the music swells to a crescendo - our whole theatre laughed at that. and hilary swank's character was just so overdone, it was hard to take her seriously.

you're right about it being only tangentially related to the elizabeth short murder, not only that, but the story was totally convoluted as well. the final kick in the pants was the little coda at the end saying that the film was based on the fictional novel by james ellroy. seriously, whoever did the marketing for this picture did a fantastic job making us think it would actually be about the black dahlia.

the best thing about this movie was seeing 'the last king of scotland' trailer at the beginning. :up:

Donnie Darko - 9.5/10

After wanting to see this movie forever, I finally rented it at Blockbuster over the weekend.

It's a quirky and bold movie that's about a whole lot of things: Time travel, yearning for acceptance and love, giant rabbits, and generally questioning everything society says you should never question. In other words, my kind of movie.

Jake Gyllenhaal is the lead actor. He's great as the emotionally mashed-up and lost Donnie. His real-life sister, Maggie, plays his on-screen sister, which adds a great sense of reality to the family.

The soundtrack is also kick-ass (or kick-arse if you happen to be residing in Canada).

:up:

Donnie Darko is the most overrated hype-fest of a movie I've ever seen. Solid 5/10 for acting and humor.

PlaTheGreat said:
:drool:

Donnie Darko is amazing. I've seen it about 25 times already.

I've been looking through the deleted scenes/special features all night. The father/son one is my favourite. Happy tears :sad:

Pla, I'm in love with your planet icon :heart:

Lancemc said:
Donnie Darko is the most overrated hype-fest of a movie I've ever seen. Solid 5/10 for acting and humor.

Well, at least it's solid! :happy:

Maybe Frankie will be visiting you later tonight at the foot of your bed :hmm:

Ladder 49

- 4/10

I thought with it having Joaquin Phoenix in it would have been ok but it wasn't. The acting was just ok but the storyline was poor and one dimensional. :(

Volver

8/10

I meant to see this one months ago when I was in Spain as I'd heard a lot about it. I really enjoyed it. Lots of stories are threaded together, secrets filter out during the movie and even at the end you're left guessing what will happen to the characters. A bit of humour in it too. :up:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom