Review the last movie you viewed (NO LISTS)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw The Devil Wears Prada tonight only because i heard they play COBL, but the movie itself was pretty good. Meryl Streep is just great no matter what. However it was a total chick flick :rolleyes:

7/10

I saw Jindabyne!

Its stars Laura Linney and Gabriel Byrne, also Leah Purcell and Deborah-Lee Furness (which is Hugh Jackman's missus!).
It is a story about a group of men who go on a fishing trip in a very isolated part of Jindabyne (a town in the snowy mountains NSW), they discover a dead girls body in the river....they are faced with the decision of staying or going...........SO.....instead of making the long trek back to the car and mobile coverage and reporting the find to the police,they stay.....AND FISH!!!!....then return a couple of days later and alert authorities. As a result their wives/GF's (not to mention the nation!) are deeply concerned by their apparent lack of.......well,lack of bloody common sense,really!! So for all involved, relationships cop a battering and these guys are forced to take a good long hard look at themselves!
Didn't like the ending to much........would have liked to see some MORE questions answered........Anyhoo.....loved it.... really .........i believe it's one of the best films that Australia has produced.

I give it 8/10

She's The Man 8/10

Was actually a lot better than I thought it was going to be. Amanda Bynes was really funny and did a great job of impersonating her brother in the movie. Had a few sweet moments to it also which I enjoyed.

Annapolis 10/10

Not usually a fan of these movies but this one really had a lot of heart. Story of a young man who comes from a poor life and dreams of being in the Naval Academy. Found it to be rather inspiring and loved how he was a fighter for what he wanted.

Pirates of the Caribbean part 2:

a tad long and overly complicated things with all the plots and extra characters (I felt Norrington and Beckett didn't contribute anything to the movie). Starts off slow but once Depp gets screen time...It does play a bit at the "bigger is better" trap of sequels but very much worth seeing. 7.5/10.
Spoilers if you haven't seen it yet Barbossa and his gang of almost-dead zombies from part 1 get a worthy succesor in Jones and the sea-men, Will and Elisabeth act better than first movie and of course, Jack Sparrow is the best of all. Favourite moments: Sparrow trying to save himself from being a living barbecue, Will's men swinging along in the skull-cage to circus mosic, Jones playing the organ with his squid mouth (best moment of the movie). Sparrow overall and moments with the wacky duo from Barbossa's crew - the guy with the eye missing and the brainy baldy pirate. Nice twist with the Jack-Will-Elisabeth triangle and I also liked the Will-Will sr meeting and the best of the side characters was the Jamaican woman. Also loved the sword fighting between Will-Jack-Norrington in the spinning wheel and the wild chase for the chest on the island in the end. Hilarious cannibal dialect. :rockon: Barbossa in the end.

Last edited:
The Patriot 5/10

Rather long, and the plot was pretty slow moving. Somewhat cheesy in places, too, although Mel Gibson and Jason Isaacs are good in their roles.

Miami Vice

Good summer movie popcorn flick. It was shot exactly like Collateral, which was friggin' awesome. Jamie Foxx and Colin Farrell surprised me, but they're still no Don Johnson or Philip Michael Thomas. The drawbacks are the horrid dialogue, lack of action scenes, and it's hard to follow until the end, which weigh the movie down too far for me.

6/10

(I'm surprised there isn't a thread about it in here already :huh: )

Last edited:
fly so high! said:
I saw Jindabyne!

I give it 8/10

I saw it last night myself and just wrote a journal entry about it. I loved it, and contrary to you, FSH, I actually thought the ending was brilliant. Anyone that hasn't seen Ray Lawrence's other recent movie, Lantana, should have a look at it also. Go Aussie cinema - always unique! :up:

The Break Up.

With Jennifer Aniston and Vince Vaughn.

I thought the film was a little overlong and some of the scenes dragged on too long. However, I thought the dialogue was quite real and that both Aniston and Vince Vaughn palyed the characters really well and made it believable (even though the roles weren't exactly a stretch for either of them).

6/10

National Lampoon's European Vacation

It's the Griswolds, what can I say? I love these films.

I actually saw National Lampoons Vegas Vacation last weekend, I hadn't heard of that one before. It wasn't as great as the 80's ones... but it was still funny.

RavenBlue said:

I actually saw National Lampoons Vegas Vacation last weekend, I hadn't heard of that one before. It wasn't as great as the 80's ones... but it was still funny.

Have you seen the Christmas one they have? Too funny! :lol: My favorite is the original one that introduced the Griswolds. Who can ever forget WallyWorld? :wink:

RavenBlue said:

That one is easily the worst, but still has funny bits :up:

Christmas Vacation has become an "LMP Holiday Classic", which is a very big deal in my household. :wink:

Casanova

Stars: Heath Ledger, Sienna Miller, Lena Olin, Oliver Platt, Jeremy Irons

5/10

This seemed like a good idea for a movie, but it just didn't "click" for me. Gorgeous scenery shots of Venice and great period music, but the film felt scatterbrained and like it was trying too hard to be funny. Cases of mistaken identity abound to the point of being overkill. And the film is surprisingly lacking in sensuality and sex, considering it's titular figure is purported to be one of history's greatest lovers. It's a role that Johnny Depp would have done much better; as it is Heath Ledger comes off as too boyish and unsophisticated (as yummy as he may be). Jeremy Irons plays his hammy role of the Inquisitor (nobody expects the Inquisition!!!) to the hilt, but one wonders how he got persuaded to become involved with this film.

A much better history piece dealing with similar situations and in the same setting is the excellent "Dangerous Beauty".

Miami Vice. This is probably the first Colin Farrel Movie I like. This is the best Summer movie period. Good ol fashion Cops and drug runners movie. The shoot outs are spectacular. Michael Mann is the Man and should make one movie every summer like this.

If you're looking for a great movie to watch/rent this week, V for Vendetta hits the shelves tomorrow.

Special Collector's Edition comes with a mask!

VforBestBuy.jpg
:drool:

PS: I think I gave this movie a 9/10 in the old thread

got_edge said:
If you're looking for a great movie to watch/rent this week, V for Vendetta hits the shelves tomorrow.

Special Collector's Edition comes with a mask!

VforBestBuy.jpg
:drool:

PS: I think I gave this movie a 9/10 in the old thread

One of the best movies this year. I bought the version with out the mask. It would have been good for Halloween.

The Producers

Funny and over-the-top, which was what I expected, but nothing too special. Will Ferrell and the gay guys were the highlight of this movie for me, and am I the only person out there who doesn't really care for Uma Thurman?

6/10

Now I'm watching Waiting for Guffman which is too funny so far.

Waiting for Guffman

This movie had me laughing the entire time, and is every bit as good as Spinal Tap. The cast was perfect, the dialogue was insanely funny and now I really want to buy it. I also loved the random David Cross cameo, which always brightens a movie. The only downside is that it's too short, and some bits of the movie drag, but not much.:up:

8/10

I really want to see V for Vendetta too :drool:

Last edited:
LemonMacPhisto said:

I really want to see V for Vendetta too :drool:

You'll enjoy it, I guarantee it. :up:

I saw Lady in the Water a few days ago. It's weird, but the good kind of weird. :drool: :drool: :drool: Funny in places, too.

:up: :up:

angelordevil said:

You'll enjoy it, I guarantee it. :up:

I saw Lady in the Water a few days ago. It's weird, but the good kind of weird. :drool: :drool: :drool: Funny in places, too.

:up: :up:

I still want to see Lady too, sadly, it looks like it might bomb but make its money back in DVD sales.

My Super Ex-Girlfriend also bombed, saw that coming though.

The Devil Wears Prada :up: 8/10

It was better than I thought. There was alot of funny parts, and it kept moving. A good "chick flick".

Touching Wild Horses :up: 7/10

Heartwarming tale of a reclusive woman who has to take care of her nephew after his father and sister die, and mother goes into a coma. They live in a research centre on an island filled with wild horses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom