Review the last movie you viewed (NO LISTS)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy

One of those movies that has me laughing almost the entire time, which doesn't happen very often. This will be a classic someday, and definitely re-watchable.

10/10

Batman Begins 9/10

So much better than all the others:up:

I got it at the library and had to return it the next day but I started watching it too late. I was going to watch about 20 minutes and if it was worthwhile I would rent it at a later date. Two hours and 20 minutes later I finished watching it ~ it was compelling from start to finish. Christian Bale is fabulous as Batman and the supporting cast are equally great: Morgan Freeman, Michael Caine, Liam Neeson and Katie Holmes.

fah said:
Batman Begins 9/10

So much better than all the others:up:

I got it at the library and had to return it the next day but I started watching it too late. I was going to watch about 20 minutes and if it was worthwhile I would rent it at a later date. Two hours and 20 minutes later I finished watching it ~ it was compelling from start to finish. Christian Bale is fabulous as Batman and the supporting cast are equally great: Morgan Freeman, Michael Caine, Liam Neeson and Katie Holmes.

:yes: It's been on cable several times the last few weeks. I usually end up watching it as well. Bale as Superman = :love:

Lila64 said:

:yes: It's been on cable several times the last few weeks. I usually end up watching it as well. Bale as Superman = :love:

I've watched it to, back-to-back with Burton's Batman on DVD.

I'm not sure which one's better yet. :hmm:

Dirty Dancing

Hadn't seen it in about 5 years. Loved the music and the dancing, and loved laughing at the pure cheese factor in this movie. Patrick Swayze is pretty damn hot. Had an interesting discussion with my friend about different interpretations of what dirty dancing actually is, and about Jennifer Grey's nose job.

9/10

I've been on a movie binge for the past few weeks. A few that I've watched lately:

Sideways and Crash - both lived up to the hype, IMO. Sideways seemed like an intelligent, well-written chick flick, but told from the perspective of men, instead. And I found Crash to be really powerful, several intense scenes. It came in at just over two hours, but seemed really short to me, a sign that the movie is compelling and entertaining to me.

Must Love Dogs - I wasn't expecting much, just rented it for some Cusack-y goodness :drool: but was pleasantly surprised. GREAT dialogue, some genuinely funny scenes...but then in the last 15 or 20 minutes, it lapsed into stereotypical romantic comedy territory. Too bad, because it had such a promising beginning, but still worth a watch.

The Family Stone - Ugh. Can I have that hour and forty minutes back? :| Too sad to be a comedy, too cute and quirky to be a drama, this movie doesn't know what it is. The only redeeming feature of this movie is that it included a couple older songs that I love.

Cars

I had great expectations from this movie...I am a big fan of Pixar.
However...this movie's story line was very predictable, even for a "kids" movie. Don't get me wrong, my kids loved it, but in comparison to all the other excellent movies they have created, this would be bottom of the barrel.

6/10

(The short before the movie was great)

VintagePunk said:

Sideways and Crash - both lived up to the hype, IMO. Sideways seemed like an intelligent, well-written chick flick, but told from the perspective of men, instead. And I found Crash to be really powerful, several intense scenes. It came in at just over two hours, but seemed really short to me, a sign that the movie is compelling and entertaining to me.

I agree.

VintagePunk said:

I love Sideways, watched it again last night. crash on the other hand I really didn't like but I'm thinking I'll give it another chance. :hmm:

I watched Spellbound last night, the documentary about the National Spelling Bee. I'm a big word geek, so of course I loved it. The movie introduces us to 8 kids from across the country who are headed to the national bee. They come from vastly different backgrounds and have different levels of parental involvement and support, but each one is an outsider in his or her own way.

There were two things I wish might've been different. First, keeping track of 8 kids for the whole movie was a bit much; I think narrowing that down to six would've given the filmmakers a little more space to develop each one's character a bit more. Second, I wish the movie would've looked into their lives after the bee; there was a bonus "where are they now?" thing on the DVD, but it jumped far ahead (they're all in college or their last year of high school now); I would've liked to have seen them in six months and see how the experience changed them.

Still, an enjoyable movie. 9/10

Dave Chappelle's Block Party

It was more music than I had expected, and less of Dave himself, but still very enjoyable. I loved the mere idea of throwing a block party and inviting random people from his home town in Ohio, and his interaction with everyone came across as very genuine. It all just added up to a feel-good movie in an odd way.

I'm not a big hip hop/R&B fan, but I was intrigued by some of the acts I hadn't heard of. I have a lot of admiration for the Roots, even if I've only liked one song of theirs that I've heard. Dug Kanye and the marching band, thought Jill Scott was really good and interesting, even if her genre isn't up my alley. Was also intrigued by Dead Prez, who I'd never heard of.

The more of Dave Chappelle I see, the more I like him.

I suck at rating movies ... can I skip that part of the post? :wink:

What's Love Got To Do With It- 10/10 without a doubt!

The true story of Tina Turner with how she started out with Ike Turner and went on her own. Truly one of the most powerful and heart wrenching movies I have ever watched. Never grow tired of watching this one.

Oh and I think "Crash" is a great movie it's another really powerful one

Wedding Crashers 9/10

One of the funniest movies I have ever seen :D

If Christopher Walken had been more psycho (being a politician isn't psycho enough for me) I would have given it 10.

Just Like Heaven

I like a romantic comedy now and again, but this movie did NOTHING for me. And I like both Reese Witherspoon and Mark Ruffalo! It wasn't in the least bit amusing, which is a big no-no in a "romantic comedy" movie.

(To be honest, I didn't seen the last half hour of the film. I gave up on it.)

Date Movie

Bland, mostly unfunny, "romantic comedy spoof" that fell right on its face shortly after most of the characters in the movie did. They tried to do way too much with it, which ultimately led to its demise. I only give it a 2 because Alyson Hannigan is cute and there were some bits of real humor in there.

2/10

Not Another Teen Movie

A better spoof of teen movies than Date Movie was of rom-coms. The cameos and use of cliches was the only silver lining for me, other than that, it was craptastic.

3/10

Ed Wood

The greatest movie about the worst director of all-time ever. I'm not usually a Johnny Depp fan, but he delivered in this movie. Martin Landau, Bill Murray, Jeffrey Jones, and Patricia Arquette rounded out a good supporting cast. Great story, great visuals and just a great movie altogether. I don't like Sarah Jessica Parker at all, and I don't see why she's so popular, so she hurts this movie for me, but not by much.

8/10

Last edited:
X-Men: The Last Stand

I came in hoping for a more exciting X-Men movie than the last 2, which I got in spades, but I didn't like how so many liberties were taken with characters and just died. The twists at the end were well-done and left it wide open for another trilogy, hopefully about the Apocalypse/Mr. Sinister/Legacy Virus storyline. It gets a 7 because of the Juggernaut's line, oh my God, my friends and I were dying of laughter.

7/10

Rainman

I think this movie gives a good view of what it is like to cope with an autistic person in everyday life, and what kind of problems as well as positive things can happen because of it (yes, I am talking out of experience).

I believe Dustin Hoffman plays that role really well, and Tom Cruise brings forth reactions that are typical I guess for a lot of people who come across those kind of issues in life.

Oh my, how philosophical and all... :rolleyes:

8/10

The New World w/Colin Farrell and Q'Orianka Kilcher (sp?)--surprisingly I enjoyed it even if the storyline wasn't top notch, but the scenery/imagery was nice and for very little dialogue, it was okay. 6/10

Insomnia

9/10

Al Pacino, Robin Williams... great flick LONG flick. You are always wondering what is going to happen next. Kept me interested the entire time.

The Family Stone
:|

4/10

Your typical American comedy/drama/chick flick, everything is over the top and exageratted. The kind of movie you figure out whats gonna happen at the end within the first hour.. and then spend the rest of the movie hoping you were wrong and that they'll actually do something different or creative so you don't feel as if you wasted 2 hours of your life.

Brazil

8.5/10

I never tire of this film because each time I watch it always manages to feel fresh. There's always a reference or a joke I discover with each viewing. Weird, funny, entertaining, honest, captivating.

I watched The Family Stone last week, and I really wanted to like it, but it gave me whiplash the way it zipped between slapstick and sentimentality so quickly. Plus, there were too many moments where Sarah Jessica Parker's character just made me way too uncomfortable.

Nacho Libre :| Marginally entertaining... although I was really hoping when I told my niece she could pick the movie today that she'd go with 'Cars' or 'Over the Hedge'. Guess that'll teach me to leave the movie decisions up to an 8 yr old. :shrug:

Syriana.

I couldn't quite keep up with everything that was going on, but I still thought it was very good. George Clooney deserved that Oscar.

The Alamo (2004)

Brilliant.
Beautifuly directed with stunnig arieal camera shots of the battle.
Billy Bob Thonton is superb as Davy Crockett. Plus great performances from Jason Patric and Patrick Wilson.
Although Dennis Quaid's Gen. Sam Houston is a little bit overacted, and constantly shouts throughout the movie.

8/10

Firewall

didnt like it, wouldnt even give it 5/10

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

not bad really - Id give it a 5/10 - it didnt hold my attention

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom