Review the last movie you viewed (NO LISTS)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Final Destination 3

7/10

Watched it tonite on On Demand. :hmm: I think I liked the first 2 better but this one was good too.. the deaths were pretty gross as usual. And it looks like there will be a #4.

Little Miss Sunshine 9/10 I really loved it. Great acting and the characters felt very real. I love disfunctional families. dark and funny well written. :up:

Invincible 8/10 Mark Wahlberg was excellent. it had a bit of a good will hunting feel to it. guy from wrong side of the tracks makes something of himself. The cinematography was outstanding. Good action and I enjoyed the story.

Got teary both movies :reject:

Goodbye Lenin

10/10 - Revisited this little gem, recently. Amazing story and the acting is fantastic. Highly recommended even if you're not a fan of subtitles. There aren't a lot of movies dealing with the DDR, but this one does it with a sense of humour. Daniel Brühl is quickly becoming one of my favourite actors.

Little Miss Sunshine

Just saw this one, this past weekend. Steve Carell at his best. I liked it much better than 40 yr old virgin. Possibly the best movie of this year.

angelordevil said:
Donnie Darko - 9.5/10

After wanting to see this movie forever, I finally rented it at Blockbuster over the weekend.

It's a quirky and bold movie that's about a whole lot of things: Time travel, yearning for acceptance and love, giant rabbits, and generally questioning everything society says you should never question. In other words, my kind of movie.

Jake Gyllenhaal is the lead actor. He's great as the emotionally mashed-up and lost Donnie. His real-life sister, Maggie, plays his on-screen sister, which adds a great sense of reality to the family.

The soundtrack is also kick-ass (or kick-arse if you happen to be residing in Canada).

:up:

:up: I finally saw this movie last night. I loved it.

The Departed- seven and a half out of ten.

Rubbish beginning, amazing, brilliant, genius middle and a weak, lazy, defies-all-logic ending. After the ending, which frankly just served to tie up any loose endings in the easiest way possible, I saw it was directed by Martin Scorsese and was like, "Ah, so that explains the gratuitous violence of the ending then!" :der: I mean, like I say, I wouldn't have minded so much if I didn't get the feeling that it just ended that way to tie up all loose ends without any effort whatsoever while still surprising the audience.

However the middle part of the film was superb, and it did give you a lot to debate about after the film (like was that guy who got shot after the roof incident actually an undercover cop or not?). Plus Ray Winstone's attempt at an American accent brought a nice touch of comic relief (why not let him do his Cockney accent though? I mean there was a Glaswegian there, whose accent I actually understood :faint:, so why not a Londoner? :huh: )

Fearless 8.5

Jet Li's acting ability has improved slightly.
The fight scenes were amazing. The love story between Jet Li's character and the blind girl was too underdeveloped and contrived. The visuals (the landscapes) were breathtaking. Overall a decent flick :up:

The Last King of Scotland

9/10

About the relationship between Ugandan dictator Idi Amin and and a young Scottish doctor who becomes his personal physician. The acting was great. Forest Whitaker was amazing as Idi Amin. He was charismatic and funny and then terrifying. He scared the bejeezus out of me:yikes: James McAvoy was great as the impressionable doctor. Very disturbing though, and not for the squeamish!

yeter said:
The Last King of Scotland

9/10

About the relationship between Ugandan dictator Idi Amin and and a young Scottish doctor who becomes his personal physician. The acting was great. Forest Whitaker was amazing as Idi Amin. He was charismatic and funny and then terrifying. He scared the bejeezus out of me:yikes: James McAvoy was great as the impressionable doctor. Very disturbing though, and not for the squeamish!

8/10

for me

I believe the doctor is a fictional character

great movie, just the same

hoping for Oscar nom for whitacre

Science of Sleep

5/10

same director as

eternal sunshine

but not near as good

deep said:

8/10

for me

I believe the doctor is a fictional character

great movie, just the same

hoping for Oscar nom for whitacre

:yes: Yeah, the character is fictional. I guess the movie is based on a novel. I also hope forest whitaker get an oscar nomination. He was amazing.

I'm hoping to see Science of Sleep this week. I've heard so many mixed things about it. Or maybe I'll just pass:wink:

TheQuiet1 said:
The Departed- seven and a half out of ten.

Rubbish beginning, amazing, brilliant, genius middle and a weak, lazy, defies-all-logic ending. After the ending, which frankly just served to tie up any loose endings in the easiest way possible, I saw it was directed by Martin Scorsese and was like, "Ah, so that explains the gratuitous violence of the ending then!" :der: I mean, like I say, I wouldn't have minded so much if I didn't get the feeling that it just ended that way to tie up all loose ends without any effort whatsoever while still surprising the audience.

However the middle part of the film was superb, and it did give you a lot to debate about after the film (like was that guy who got shot after the roof incident actually an undercover cop or not?). Plus Ray Winstone's attempt at an American accent brought a nice touch of comic relief (why not let him do his Cockney accent though? I mean there was a Glaswegian there, whose accent I actually understood :faint:, so why not a Londoner? :huh: )

Agreed- except for the fact that I didn't hate the beginning. The background stuff was good. Re: that other guy who shot after the roof thing- he knew Costigan was undercover but never said anything. I'd say he was undercover cop but what I don't get is why the police would release that information to the news.

I'd give it a slighty higher rating (8.5/10) but I wish the movie was longer and that more focus was put on the ending.

(Is anyone else excited about Babel? :hyper::hyper: )

Ella Enchanted 8/10

A great movie for girls starring Anne Hathaway. There's a wee bit of crude humour but nothing I wouldn't let the mini fahs watch.

The Matador 8/10

Pierce Brosnan and Greg Kinnear :)
Fabulous witty script :up:

I just saw Affair of the Necklace with Hillary Swank, Simon Baker and Adrien Brody.:up: very good story set in the time of Marie Antonette(sp).

Paradise Now
about these two palestinian guys and how they go about becoming suicide bombers. pretty good, interesting...although the ending wasn't as affecting as it was supposed to be for some reason. it was good though.
7/10

Click- 10/10

Despite loving Adam Sandler I was extremely surprised by this movie. Thought it would just be mindless entertainment but there really was so much more to it. The music in the movie was pretty good too :wink:

Flags of our Fathers 7/10 I got tired of the whole "Hero's of Iwo Jima" theme which is I guess is how were supposed to feel, like Adam Beaches character. I thought it was a pretty good film. Dragged in the end.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
I really enjoyed this movie a lot...still thinking about parts of it, I think I may watch it again today. At first I was kind of unsure of the concept but they did an awesome job with it. Even though I knew how it would end (sort of) I couldn't wait to see what would happen next because there were just so many interesting scenes. hard to explain.

"well technically the operation is brain damage...but on par with a night of heaving drinking- nothing you'll miss." :lol:

9/10

King Kong

:hmm:

a bit predictable, and you can easily tell that it's playground for Peter Jackson.

7/10

VertigoGal said:
A History of Violence
8/10

really good movie, I can't remember why, but it was so much fun to watch. :drool:

I saw it last night and it was the worst movie I've seen all year (even worse than Unbreakable!). I thought it missed the entire point of the book, and the overly dramatic Hollywood score just seemed like an attempt to make up for a really poorly written and ineffective script.

Marie Antoinette
8/10

LOVED it. I loved the use of modern music (with the exception of the "I Want Candy" sequence - it was too much), it was an amazingly gorgeous movie. I just really enjoyed it.

I usually don't find Kirsten Dunst all that attractive, but she was stunning in every scene in this movie.

meegannie said:

I saw it last night and it was the worst movie I've seen all year (even worse than Unbreakable!). I thought it missed the entire point of the book, and the overly dramatic Hollywood score just seemed like an attempt to make up for a really poorly written and ineffective script.

:lol: really? maybe I am just easily impressed. although I haven't read the book, and was surrounded by people who'd seen it and loved it so that could've influenced me.

I still think it was pretty good though, I enjoyed watching it. :shrug: It would've been nice if they'd gone more into depth about the whole mob thing, sort of abrupt ending. Maybe I'll read the book.

:bump:

Saw 3

Oh, my, God. This is the goriest movie I have ever seen. All I could think about after leaving the theater is how much blood we have in our bodies. :barf:
It was entertaining and engrossing, but you'd seriously have to pay for me to watch it again.
Think the brain scene from Hannibal x 100,000. Think Hostel on steroids. Well, they might be about the same. You'd have to pay me to watch either of them again.

Now I've got to go sleep with the lights on because I'm sure the pigman and his little puppet buddy are going to nab me in the night and teach me a lesson. :scream:

The Prestige
9/10

I wanted to see this movie so much because my uncle is a magician, and I always sorta wanted to follow in his footsteps, but alas, I have no talent in this particular field...anyway enough about me on to the movie. I thought it was amazing, there were so many little plot twists throughout, and some pretty interesting illusions. Also, for the first time in a while, the preview for this movie did not spoil anything for me. Yes, I did figure out the ending about 45 minutes before it happened, but overall, I loved it and I will definently be purchasing it when it comes out on video.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom