REview REM

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jcool

The Fly
sorry, I should be posting something about U2!

But check out the review for the New REM album!.

REM, Around the Sun

(Warner)

Dorian Lynskey
Friday October 1, 2004
The Guardian

two out of five

Talk about false dawns. The warm reviews and huge sales that greeted last year's greatest hits album suggested that REM were due a triumphant comeback, as did the strong singles Bad Day and Animal and their bold return to the political fray. But it's impossible to square those good omens with Around the Sun's subdued AOR. The CD cover, portraying a blurry, indistinct Stipe, Buck and Mills, turns out to be an all-too-accurate reflection of the music. The best songs are those you may have already heard: the stately swell and longing harmonies of the single, Leaving New York, and the cold, polemical fury of the internet-previewed Final Straw ("Who died and lifted you up to perfection?").
The rest is merely lifeless, as if the air had been sucked from the band's lungs. The creative torpor even infects guest star Q-Tip, who has never performed a worse rap than the one that limps through the closing bars of The Outsiders. At least commercial failures like New Adventures in Hi-Fi took intriguing risks, but Around the Sun is REM's first truly redundant album.

DaveC said:
Off to Bang & Clatter we go!!!

Exactly.

I want to add that AllMusic gave it 2 as well. I don't think it is THAT bad, though it may be my least favorite REM album. I am just getting no excitement from the new album, unlike U2.

Agreed. It needs a few more uplifting, rocking tunes.

It's a good thing 'Leaving New York' and 'Final Straw' are solid songs - otherwise this album would rate *really* low.

Yeah im nowhere as near as hyped bout the new REM album than I am U2s.

I like Leaving New York and i think the rest of the album will probably grow on me.

The whole album is very, very mellow. Sort of in the same vein that Reveal is. But it's still good. Wanderlust is probably the fastest tune on the record, it's incredibly bouncy.

I can't wait to see them at the end of the month. :hyper:

Maybe not relevant, but: "The Outsiders" is, by my count, the second R.E.M. song that suddenly segues into a rap.

What the hell?

Oh, and my review of the album: it makes Reveal sound a lot more inspired. But then, I liked Up, so who cares what I think.

Back
Top Bottom