return of the king

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Without being to spoilerish for those of us who haven't seen it or read the books, how closely does it follow the books? Just wondering. Like I said before, I couldn't get throught the Hobbit in 6th grade. I don't know if I could read these but I'd like to know anyway...:D:wink:

FOTR probably followed the book the closest. A few details (Aragorn's sword) were moved to other films.

TT and ROTK took more liberties with the story. Tons of stuff happens in TT that didn't make it into the film--some of it was moved to ROTK, some of it (Gandalf's confrontation with Saruman) was cut altogether.

If you really like the films, you'll like the books--there's more plot and character details that really enhance the stories. But they are generally slower-paced, with breaks for poems and songs... :wink:

Last edited:
:sad:

I will have to wait until who knows when. Whenever the US Marines get their hands on a copy they will show it at their place. :huh:

I'm seeing it New Year's Eve. WHY GOD MUST I WAIT??! WHY WHY WHY? :sad:

I'm not a big movie-goer and in fact I'm very critical when it comes to movies. But my sister took me to Two Towers and I was very, very impressed! Which is saying a lot!!

I read "The Hobbit" in school so I already was aquainted with some of the characters. . . me being the hard-to-please movie-goer that I am, I was so surprised at how well these movies were done. The effects, the acting, everything was SPECTACULAR in my book. Yes I'm one of those who'd rather see an indie or foreign film any day, but these movies blew me away.

My sister, who saw it already, said the ending was not the same as the book and she was disappointed about it. But there's no way they could've fit everything from the book into the movie. It's just impossible.

I'm waiting on pins and needles. . .

Did I mention how excited I am? :drool:

Too many things have been discussed for me to comment on, but I'll give my 2 cents about the movie:

I've seen it twice, I love it.

Greatest movie trilogy ever. :up:

couldnt go boxing morning....
i was in the queue for about 15-20 mins on friday and saturday nights...by the time got to the front it was pretty much sold out...guess i should have booked over the phone....

but i cant wait to see this!

we've got LOTR movie marathons running here next weekend

Fellowship kicks things then Two Towers and then ROTK ...man what a great idea...spend about 10 hours in a cinema

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:

Disregard the above. Saw ROTK today, cried like an idiot at the end.

I'm a convert. :yes:

LOL! Same here! The worst thing about it was the fact that it seemed to end about 4-5 times. So, I ended up crying like an idiot 4-5 times..... or maybe it was continual.

Aragorn gets crowned king = :sad:

Arwen and Aragorn embrace = :sad:

Aragorn, "My friends, you bow to no one." = :sad:

The Hobbits say farewell to Frodo = :sad:

The movie ends = :sad:

... Just to name a few

:( = frodo: "I do not recall the taste of food...nor the sound of the river..." etc...

that whole scene really got me. the music was really moving during the whole climb up mount doom...so that encouraged emotions even more

Aragorn singing
:heart:

:heart::):sad::):heart:

I think Liv Tyler was the perfect choice for Arwen. The Riders of Rohan:drool: Legolas got a spontaneous round of applause in the theatre I was in for his acrobatics on the oliphant :applaud:
A beautiful rendering of the tale, a visual feast, great characterisation...bravo! I can't wait to watch it again
and again.......

I saw it the other day, and it was absolutely amazing. Peter jackson is a freaking genius- I loved the pre-battle scenes, when there would be a closeup on a few soldiers, and then a huge pan out to show how many there were. I don't know why but I always love things like that. I read the books twice before seeing the movie, but the whole time i was surprised by what happened. My jaw was dropped the whole time. I am not an emotional person at all, and I cried a little, especially when Faramir is sent to reclaim Osgiliath, and meanwhile Denethor makes Pippin sing, etc. that scene just got me, and has stayed with me.

I saw it again this past weekend. The first time I cried a little, but mostly I was applauding and even cheering with the battle scenes (Eowyn, Aragorn jumping off the ship) and getting a bit nervous with Frodo and the ring. I mean, this was me when I first saw it :hyper: :applaud:

But the second time, since I knew what was going to happen, I sat back and took it all in. And this time I cried. There was so much emotion. The courage of Rohan, Pippin singing while Faramir and the fighters rode out, Arwen seeing her son in a vision, Sam telling Frodo "I can't carry the ring for you, but I can carry you," and the whole ending after the ring was destroyed.

*sniff* It was great!

Last edited:
Basstrap said:
:( = frodo: "I do not recall the taste of food...nor the sound of the river..." etc...

that whole scene really got me. the music was really moving during the whole climb up mount doom...so that encouraged emotions even more

That part really got me too. :sad: Then the part where they are on the rock. "Here at the end of all things..."

Then I'm strangely under control until Frodo leaves for the Gray Havens. :sad:

I liked it even more the second time, but I was more emotional knowing what was coming up. I haven't even listened to the whole ROTK soundtrack yet, it's too emotionally draining. :)

Last edited:
went and saw it tonight.....
:faint: :applaud: :combust: and to peter jackson and all the actors in involved :bow:

the movie is so bloody fantastic.....nothing comes close it it, execpt 2 Towers and Fellowship
easily the best trilogy ever...fullstop, and really the only movie trilogy that gets better with every movie

i went with dad :)reject: ) he made fun of the movie pretty much right though it..and thought frodo should have come out of the closet :madspit:
i think the movie was too long for him...you know people with short attention spans :wink:

anyways i dont wanna take too much room up cause i could go on forever!

Pippin... *drools*
That scene with him singing is just...wow. I downloaded the song :eek:
Ive seen it twice in theatres. I might go see it again. I skipped school one day to go on a double date with my bf and two of my girlfriends. It was awesome. Then I saw it monday with my mommy. My bf saw it twice in the same day. I feel like such a geek since my family spent xmas watching TTT.

I saw that they won some award for best acting by an ensemble cast.

I think that's a really good award...they should give out oscars for that. I mean...really, every actor in this movie was great, and that's saying something cos there was, like, a million.
now, in starwars...even the classics - I think everyone must admit most of the acting is bad!

Now you've made me want to go and see it again. I can't wait till the video is released.
That is good news about the acting ensemble award. They all contributed and worked so well together. It would be hard to chose best actor award for it. Viggo? Sir Ian? Elijah? the guy who played Gimli? he was perfect, so funny....Legolas? for being there:)
My friend's son was given a jigsaw puzzle. It has a beautiful photo of Gandalf, Aragorn and Legolas on horseback...Shadowfax looks magnificent.I think the horse master and handlers should get an award too...and New Zealand, for being the perfect setting. The set and costume makers, the camera-men....the caterers. It was massive project. A hugely successful project. They all deserve an award.
I think JRR Tolkien would be well pleased
especially if we learn from it.

Just find yourself a good ROTK picture and I will shrink it down for you. :wink: lordoftherings.net might have some AIM icons that would work.

I would like this film to beat Titanic's monetary total. It's kind of bizarre that should be the top-grossing film of all time compared to something like LOTR.

now, now
you're talking about LOTR like it can be compared to the greatness know to mankind as Mary Poppins

Back
Top Bottom