Return Of The 6th Interference Album Listening Party - Axver's Modern Prog Edition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I may just waste away from doing nothing
But you're a martyr for even less

I quite like Even Less. There's a much longer (double the length) version of the song on the out-takes/rarities collection entitled Recordings. I prefer the shorter version myself, mainly because I don't like the lyrical content of a verse that appears in the longer version.

Piano Lessons! :drool:

This is my single favourite Porcupine Tree song ever.

By the way, allow me to introduce the band:

Vocals, guitar: Steven Wilson
Bass: Colin Edwin
Keyboards: Richard Barbieri (ex-Japan)
Drums: Chris Maitland

Steven Wilson, by the way, is an entirely self-taught guitarist and does not practice when he is not writing songs or touring.

hippy said:
Who is Christine Keeler? :hmm:

This song is definitely different than "Even Less"... and I like it as well! :)

I honestly haven't a damn clue who that is, though in a later song, there's a Radiohead reference.

hippy said:
Credit me with some intelligence
(if not just credit me)
I come in value packs of ten
(in five varieties)

great lyric! :lol:

:lol: I know! That's what first attracted me to the song. It's probably a good illustration of the album's overall theme (or loose concept) of how fame isn't really all it's cracked up to be, that what teenagers - such as Wilson himself - expected to do is just a "stupid dream".

Wikipedia's Stupid Dream article has a couple of good quotes from Wilson about the album's theme and his thoughts on the music industry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stupid_Dream

(I feel his thoughts on the music business are most eloquently expressed on In Absentia's The Sound Of Muzak. What a great song. "Now the sound of music comes in silver pills/Engineered to suit you building cheaper thrills/The music of rebellion makes you wanna rage/But it's made by millionaires who are nearly twice your age.")

I love this line from Pure Narcotic: "Leave me dreaming on a railway track". Might be the railfan in me. :wink:

And the bassline for Slave Called Shiver is sooo good. :drool:

hippy said:
Okay, I'm gonna be brave and ask this question at this late stage of the game at the risk of being stoned...

but what is progressive rock? :reject:

This is a good question. Different people define it different ways. It's characterised by odd time signatures, often lengthy compositions, concept albums, that sort of thing. Of course, none of those qualities are exclusive to prog at all. Some say it's a sound, some say it's an attitude, I say it's a mix of both. Whether a band is prog or not is often a debate in prog circles.

Again, Wikipedia will probably come in handy. :wink:

Axver said:

But let's see, patti and hippy both said they could make it today, didn't they? So if they come, and Khan and I are here, that's 4, which I think has been about average in the past, so we'll go ahead with it in that case. :)

Hey I’m here I thought we were talking about Saturday night! Give me a few minutes to catch up reading the thread!!!!!

And now we reach the album's longest track, Don't Hate Me. This is one of my least favourites off the album, but I still quite like it.

Axver said:

This is a good question. Different people define it different ways. It's characterised by odd time signatures, often lengthy compositions, concept albums, that sort of thing. Of course, none of those qualities are exclusive to prog at all. Some say it's a sound, some say it's an attitude, I say it's a mix of both. Whether a band is prog or not is often a debate in prog circles.

Again, Wikipedia will probably come in handy. :wink:

of course it did! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progressive_rock

But I like to hear from people who are into it, too... gives a much better sense of what it means and how to appreciate it

pattip2000 said:

Hey I’m here I thought we were talking about Saturday night! Give me a few minutes to catch up reading the thread!!!!!

Heh, sorry, those damn timezones! Glad to have you late rather than never! :)

hippy said:

of course it did! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progressive_rock

But I like to hear from people who are into it, too... gives a much better sense of what it means and how to appreciate it

My idea of prog is pretty much an attitude where you don't let anything restrict you. You don't stick to formulaic procedures such as writing all your songs in 4/4 time. You don't stick to a basic verse/chorus structure, nor to the traditional qualities of a radio hit. But as much as that affects the sound, there's also the important attitude component, that you want to take your music somewhere, or in other words, progress. Why stay bogged down in the same territory when you can push on into other places?

I don't think you can have one without the other. Definitely not the attitude without the music. You can have a prog desire as much as you like, but it's not prog if you're just playing three chords and sound like a Blink 182 cover band!

Back
Top Bottom