Retro Island Album Game: FINAL

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vote for the playlist you like the most.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

phanan

Blue Crack Addict
Please vote for the playlist you LIKE THE MOST.

Welcome to the FINAL match of the Interference Retro Island Album Game! In this competition, instead of being stranded on a desert island and seeking the best playlist to enjoy while there, we're heading off to Retro Island to savour the best that the punk/new wave genre of the late 70's and 80's has to offer.

In the semifinals, hardyharhar defeated KhanadaRhodes by the score of 6-2, and phanan won 5-2 over LemonMacPhisto.

So our FINAL is set, and it's a rematch between the top two from Group 1, hardyharhar and phanan, who previously tied in their last matchup. Below are their playlists.

If you don't know the songs, or wish to hear how each playlist flows, feel free to check out the Desert Island website. :)

Forum name: hardyharhar

Things had gotten a bit bloated in rock by the late 70’s and a shake-up was needed. The amount of great music which emerged from the punk movement is quite staggering. I tried to keep the list upbeat and mix it up with the different styles that made up this rich tapestry of sounds. Amongst it all here, you’re forced to suffer through the prophetic political rantings of Jello Biafra & the DK’s in an updated Reagan era California Uber Alles. The slightly heavier leanings continue with Midnight Oil & The Clash. Then it’s pretty much fun & games the rest of the way, iIncluding, a shameless stab at votes with one of my favorite U2 songs, a solo jaunt from Ultravox founder John Foxx, the original version of Pretty In Pink given the full Furs treatment as opposed to the re-recorded version for the movie soundtrack, and a Sparks song originally found only in the early Nicholas Cage comedy, Valley Girl. Overall, just a drop in a 10 year span of rejuvenated rock ‘n roll. So why vote for my list? Well, with tongue firmly in cheek, I am the oldest entrant, which means I have less time to win one of these and it shows respect for your elders. A fine trait. And it shows you can support one with an embarrassingly low purity test score. Also, a vote for me will most likely help slow global warming. A noble endeavor. Enjoy!

1. Dead Kennedys – We’ve Got A Bigger Problem Now (In God We Trust) 4:29
2. Midnight Oil – Best Of Both Worlds (Red Sails In The Sunset) 4:04
3. The Clash – Police On My Back (Sandinista) 3:16
4. Sex Pistols – Pretty Vacant (Never Mind The Bollocks…Here’s The Sex Pistols) 3:17
5. Devo – Uncontrollable Urge (Q: Are We Not Men? A: We Are Devo) 3:09
6. The Cramps – Can Your Pussy Do The Dog (A Date With Elvis) 3:22
7. The Jam – All Mod Cons (All Mod Cons) 1:20
8. The Buzzcocks – Love You More (Singles Going Steady) 1:51
9. Squeeze – Is That Love (Singles 45’s And Under) 2:33
10.Elvis Costello & The Attractions – Lip Service (This Year’s Model) 2:38
11.Bow Wow Wow – What’s The Time (Hey Buddy) (When The Going Gets Tough The Tough Get Going) 3:08
12.The English Beat – Best Friend (I Just Can’t Stop It) 3:01
13.Magazine – Model Worker (The Correct Use Of Soap) 2:53
14.Madness – Night Boat To Cairo (One Step Beyond) 3:31
15.U2 – Stories For Boys (Boy) 3:04
16.Split Enz – I Got You (True Colours) 3:30
17.Simple Minds – Film Theme (Real To Real Cacophony) 2:26
18.Wire – Blessed State (154) 3:28
19.John Foxx – Systems Of Romance (The Garden) 4:05
20.Killing Joke – Eighties (Laugh? I Nearly Bought One!) 3:51
21.The Cure – In Between Days (The Head On The Door) 2:58
22.Psychedelic Furs – Pretty In Pink (Talk Talk Talk) 3:58
23.Sparks – Eaten By The Monster Of Love (Angst In My Pants) 3:01
24.Love And Rockets – No New Tale To Tell (Earth, Sun, Moon) 3:27
25.The Specials – You’re Wondering Now (The Specials) 2:37

Total Runtime: 79:51

Forum name: phanan

1. The Belle Stars – “Iko Iko” – Rain Man Soundtrack (2:54) - 1983*
2. Elvis Costello – “Pump It Up” – This Year’s Model (3:16) - 1978
3. Blondie – “Atomic” – Eat To The Beat (4:39) - 1979
4. The Clash – “Train In Vain” – London Calling (3:10) - 1979
5. Squeeze – “Goodbye Girl” – Singles, 45s And Under (3:05) - 1979**
6. The Police – “So Lonely” – Outlandos d’Amour (4:49) - 1978
7. Split Enz – “I Got You” – True Colours (3:31) - 1980
8. Peter Schilling – “Major Tom (Coming Home)” – Error In The System (4:10) - 1983
9. Depeche Mode – “Everything Counts” – The Singles 81>85 (3:59) - 1983
10. Tears For Fears – “Everybody Wants To Rule The World” – Songs From The Big Chair (4:08) - 1985
11. The Pretenders – “Brass In Pocket” – The Pretenders (3:06) - 1980
12. The Ramones – “I Wanna Be Sedated” – Road To Ruin (2:29) - 1978
13. The Buzzcocks – “Ever Fallen In Love” – Singles Going Steady (2:42) - 1978
14. Dave Edmunds – “Girls Talk” – Repeat When Necessary (3:27) - 1979
15. Graham Parker – “Local Girls” – Squeezing Out Sparks (3:42) – 1979
16. The Cars – “Since You’re Gone” – Shake It Up (3:29) - 1981
17. Television – “See No Evil” – Marquee Moon (3:58) – 1977
18. Joy Division – “Disorder” – Unknown Pleasures (3:29) – 1979
19. Gary Numan – “Metal” – The Pleasure Principle (3:33) – 1979
20. Yazoo – “Don’t Go” – Upstairs At Eric’s (3:11) – 1982
21. New Order – “Procession” – Substance (4:29) – 1981
22. INXS – “Don’t Change” – Shabooh Shoobah (4:25) – 1982

Total runtime: 79:41

Competition Master List.

Thanks for a great tournament! Desert Island V is coming...

I knew from the start this is how it would probably go down. Two really good lists - but I have to vote for..........

wait for it

keep waiting....

hardy :wink:

And once again, I shall be going with my second favorite list (can you guess which is first? :wink: )

Phanan

These are my two favorite lists, but Hardy's edges out by a hair.

I still like my setlist. Usually I'm sick of them by now :wink:

I like Phanan's set too though, but I think VintagePunk had my second favorite by a bit.

It was fun Phanan. Thanks for running it, it brought me a little closer to the
21st century by getting me to use the itunes system. :)

I like Phanan's list too though, but I think VintagePunk had my second favorite by a bit.

I think we were the only two that liked it. :lol: But thanks.

I'm not tired of mine, either, and that's very unusual for me.

Annnd, my vote goes to hardy, because it's more suited to my tastes, and represents what stands out about the era and genre to me, although I want to give props to phanan too, because his list rocked, as well. :)

Phanan, I don't know how this is gonna end and it really doesn't matter. But I gotta give you an assist on my list, cuz when my more cynical tendencies were trying to bud in, I mentioned it at some point and you said something like "nah, keep it fun". So I stepped back, got back into an upbeat state of mind and 80 minutes rolled out pretty easy.

There you have it, coach :wink:

Four final voters had not voted in any of the matches before this, but it was 2 on each side, so it looks like it didn't make much of an impact.

Because we didn't listen to the lists and shouldn't have voted.

What I'm saying is, four people voted who hadn't voted in any of the previous Retro Island matches, which most likely means they didn't listen to lists. But, since it's even, I guess the impact was negligible.

I understand that, but was just wondering why you guys chose to abstain, though you are constantly listening to new music AND (I think) preparing for another DI competition...

And the lists were both pretty even - good match guys :up:

I'm one of the folks voting only in the final.

I downloaded the first group of lists at the start but didn't have time to really get into the competition. However, I did listen to each of these two lists a couple of times early on and while they're both good, I preferred phanan's.

I appreciate everyone's vote - thanks!

But I kinda feel that hardy deserved this one. His was my favorite playlist.

But in the end, it was all in good fun anyway. I want to thank those who participated and made this work, cuz I wasn't even sure if it would. And people came up with great songs and excellent artwork.

Desert Island V is on the horizon...

Hey phanan - I don't know when you're making the DI V thread, but if you make it this weekend could you possibly sign me up? I don't know if I'll have time to be online or not (this weekend I mean - I'm going to Lollapalooza :D ), but I definitely want to do DI V.

Thanks, sorry for the off-topic post. Congrats on your win.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom