Retro Island - A Desert Island Spinoff Tournament

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

phanan

Blue Crack Addict
While we are in between Desert Islands (our fifth edition will most likely arrive in about a month or so), I'm thinking it's time for another mini-tournament. So far, we've had Prog Island and Symphonic Island. I'd like to see how much interest there would be in a Retro Island competition.

Retro certainly is a broad term when it comes to music, but for the purpose of this tournament, we would be focusing on the mid 1970's-mid 1980's time frame, when punk rock came out of nowhere and eventually evolved into new wave. From wiki:

Retro, during the 1980s, referred to a new genre of music, particularly dance music, popular in the U.S. at the time and originally termed New Wave music which was in part an outgrowth of the Punk rock genre of the late 1970s and early '80s and Psychedelic genre of the late 1960s and 70's. Many of the songs and albums termed retro at the time came about during great advancement in the development of generating music electronically (that is, with computers and electronic equipment - or Electronic music - rather than with either traditional or electromechanical instruments) and the popularization of this type of music in the mainstream. Ideas as to how broad and inclusive the Retro category of music is vary; nonetheless, not all music - not even all dance music - from the decades of the 1980s were considered Retro music.

The basis of this competition would be to come up with your best Retro compilation that is no longer than 80 minutes - no concepts necessary, no artwork required (although definitely permitted), just a jam packed playlist of your favorite music from this genre (or subgenres, more specifically, like punk rock, post-punk, new wave, etc.). I would think that at least 8 people would be needed for this to work, and if there was more interest than that, we could possibly increase the number. I know KhanadaRhodes and Screwtape2 expressed an interest when I previously floated the idea.

Let me know your thoughts.

imgad

Won't be joining this, but have fun, guys. :wave: I may check out some lists for myself.

Hey, I know this spinoff thread might not be the best place for it but can someone quickly explain the whole Desert Island thing to me? I remember seeing threads for the voting part of it last time, but I had no idea what was going on.

It looked like fun, and I might be interested in competing the next time around. Thanks.

Also, if I were to compete...I would win. Easily.

Just a warning.

Are we restricted to a certain genre, or any music from the mid 70's to mid 80's? I'm a little unclear on the rules, and it makes a big difference in whether I'm going to join or not.

This looks like fun but I'm just not very knowledgeable about punk rock and have few artists albums in post punk or new wave. But I might listen and vote! :hyper:

Hey, I know this spinoff thread might not be the best place for it but can someone quickly explain the whole Desert Island thing to me? I remember seeing threads for the voting part of it last time, but I had no idea what was going on.

It looked like fun, and I might be interested in competing the next time around. Thanks.

Also, if I were to compete...I would win. Easily.

Just a warning.

In a nutshell, the Desert Island competition pits 20 people against each other. You come up with a playlist that is 160 minutes long (two CDs worth) that can be any music you want. We share the playlists with everybody, and we vote. Last one standing is the winner.

And you pretty much have to compete now after that declaration. :lol:

Are we restricted to a certain genre, or any music from the mid 70's to mid 80's? I'm a little unclear on the rules, and it makes a big difference in whether I'm going to join or not.

This is restricted to specific genres known as "Retro" music from that time period. It's essentially punk rock and new wave.

Good man.

1. phanan
2. KhanadaRhodes
3. Screwtape2

I'll give this several days or so to see if anyone else is interested. Hopefully others will want to participate. If not, no big deal. Desert Island V is on the horizon.

everyone submits playlists, then votes for me because they'll experience my wrath if they don't.

I don't mind losing :)

............. so if I can convince Lila to help with the uploading :hmm:

80 minutes shouldn't be hard even with my limited selection. Does it still have to be one song per artist, yada yada?

I would definitely have no artwork or story :D

Yeah, it should be one song per artist, especially since we're only doing 80 minutes here.

I didn't bother going through all the rules yet because I wasn't sure how many people would want to do it.

No worries on artwork or story. :lol: But I expect a killer Elvis Costello number to be on your list. :wink:

If you're short a person or two, I will participate, I'm just scared my knowledge isn't varied enough, but this really excites me

Can't see myself competing or listening.

I've done every one of these since they began anyway, so I suppose it's time to sit one out.

Can't see myself competing or listening.

I've done every one of these since they began anyway, so I suppose it's time to sit one out.

I feel the same way here on your second point. Like I said above though, if you need an alternate for any reason, I'd be more than welcome to fill that slot. That's what she said.

I have a question - how far back can we go in the 70s and late in the 80s can we go? A more exact set of dates would be helpful. There's stuff from earlier in the 70s and later in the 80s that could fit, but I don't know if it's allowed.

Also, is the one-song-per-artist rule set in stone?

Another question about the rules. Does the song have to be an officially released version, or are live tracks (boots, etc.) fair game? Just asking before hardyharhar does, since I'll have to be doing some of HIS work :madspit: :wink:

I think I'm gonna sit this one out as I've been away and don't plan on being fully back yet.

Another question about the rules. Does the song have to be an officially released version, or are live tracks (boots, etc.) fair game?

I damn well hope all the standard rules remain in place. Under the standard rules, live tracks that were officially released in any manner were always permissible.

I have a question - how far back can we go in the 70s and late in the 80s can we go? A more exact set of dates would be helpful. There's stuff from earlier in the 70s and later in the 80s that could fit, but I don't know if it's allowed.

For the sake of this competition, I'd like to start at the beginning of the punk rock era, which would be between 1974-1976 when bands like The Sex Pistols, The Clash, and The Ramones came along.

As for how far it can go, I'd say pretty much all of the 80's would be ok, although by the late 80's, new wave music had pretty much given away to cheesy dance music and hair metal, and that stuff should not be included (although some new wave artists like Pet Shop Boys and Erasure were still going, for example). If you are unsure about a particular song or artist, just let me know.

And I'll post the full rules now that we seem to be getting enough interest here, but yes, we will follow the rules that we normally use. Definitely only one song per artist - at only 80 minutes long, it should be a non-issue.

Another question about the rules. Does the song have to be an officially released version, or are live tracks (boots, etc.) fair game? Just asking before hardyharhar does, since I'll have to be doing some of HIS work :madspit: :wink:

It should be officially released, so any official live version will be ok, but no bootlegs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom