Retro Island - A Desert Island Spinoff Tournament

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been ready a few days now. As usual, it was fun getting started but I got kinda bored with it. I like it but just prefer an ever changing list, so the temptation to switch tracks constantly was fierce. Plus I was fairly limited in my choices. Sure was a rich time for pop music though. And I gotta say, the ease of altering with itunes is quite remarkable. I can see why people like the format so much. Sure beats cassette taping w/ lp's :lol:

We'll zip it over to you this weekend.

Thanks.

And by "we'll," you mean Lila, right? :wink:

Of course! I need sustenance first though.
hungry.gif

Now if he can just give me the burned disc so I can figure out how to zip & upload it. I haven't zipped in a while :shifty:

Of course! I need sustenance first though.
hungry.gif

Now if he can just give me the burned disc so I can figure out how to zip & upload it. I haven't zipped in a while :shifty:

Disc? You guys are so old skool. :wink:

You should be able to stick all the songs into one file, and then right click and select zip file, no? That's how it works on my computer.

I just don't know how to zip it from iTunes :reject:

ETA: phanan - uploading to media fire now. I'm out for a bit, but once it's complete, I'll try & PM or email you.

Last edited:
So I never posted rules or anything at the beginning of this, because quite frankly, I wasn't sure if I'd get enough interest. But now that this is a go, let's review...

Welcome to Retro Island, our third installment in the mini-tournament series that takes place in between Desert Island competitions. After two previously successful mini-tournaments (Prog Island and Symphonic Island), we're gonna take the seriousness out of those two and turn this one into some fun.

The premise of the game is to create a "retro island" playlist of the best music from the punk/new wave era of the mid-70's-mid 80's time frame, into a jam-packed 80 minutes. Keep in mind that a great playlist depends on more than just great songs; cohesion is essential.

THE RULES
1. Your collection may not exceed 80 minutes in length. You may employ any medium you desire, with the two most common being one CD and unbroken "iPod tracklists". ANY ENTRY 80:01 (80 minutes, 1 second) OR LONGER WILL AUTOMATICALLY NEED TO BE REVISED OR YOU WILL BE DISQUALIFIED.
2. You may only use ONE song by any particular artist. In this rule, we are concerned with one continuous song; if the song is split into separate tracks or movements (e.g. to fit on vinyl), all tracks or movements may be included. However, if you wish to do this, please clear it with me first.
3. Every selection must appear on an OFFICIAL RELEASE by that artist. It may be any form of release: album, single, official live release, rarities box set, iTunes only release, or even a free track from the artist's official site. Unreleased tracks (e.g. U2's Mercy) and live bootlegs are not allowed ("official bootlegs" by bands such as Pearl Jam are permitted).
4. Tracks may not be edited/shortened in any way; you must use the official album run time. Naturally, this rule does not apply to official edits covered by rule #3, such as radio edits. Furthermore, you may edit a track to remove a separate hidden track at the end, e.g. Transatlantic's Stranger In Your Soul.
5. As this is a separate competition from Desert Island, any tracks used in those contests are acceptable here.

READ THE NEXT PARAGRAPH
IT IS VERY IMPORTANT

For this competition, please do NOT post your entries in this thread. Please e-mail them to myself at go-figure@comcast.net. Or you can PM me if you are premium.

Here's what we require from you:
1. Your tracklisting. See below for formatting.
2. Links to uploads of your tracklisting so that others may hear the music they do not know. Although optional in the past, this is now mandatory. All entries will be available on the Desert Island website (link in signature).
3. OPTIONAL: A paragraph with any additional details on your tracklisting, e.g. why you made the choices you made, any important facts you wish to note, why you think people should vote for your tracklistings, etc.
4. OPTIONAL: A cover for your tracklist, and any other additional materials you believe are essential to the full package. Please provide a stable link to the cover image on a picture hosting website.

FORMATTING - READ CAREFULLY
We require submissions to use the following format EXACTLY. The format, which is very easy to follow, is:

Forum name: [Your Interference name here]

Tracklist:

TRACKLIST TITLE (if you give it one)

Track #. Band Name - "Song Title" - Album Name (Time in Minutes:Seconds)
1. Please - "Follow This Format" - Thank You (20:15)
2. It Helps A Lot - "If You Follow This" - To The Letter (10:45)
3. Life Is Easier - "When People Do" - What Is Asked In The Rules (15:00)
4. Rules - "Are Not Hard" - To Follow (15:30)
5. Grammar, Punctuation, And Order - "Should Be Just Like They Are" - In This Example (7:15)
6. Thank You Very Much - "In Advance" - For Adhering To This Style! (43:20)

Total runtime: 112:05

DEADLINE
All submissions MUST be made by 10pm, 7 July 2008, US eastern savings time. The master list will be posted just after this deadline and the competition will begin the next Monday. You may submit items separately, e.g. you do not have to provide upload links the second you submit your tracklisting, but you must have all submissions made by that deadline.

The eight players will be divided into two groups, and the tournament will run the same as Desert Island.

I think that's everything. Let me know if you have any other questions.

just bumping this up... :bump:

Would Stan Bush's "The Touch" count as New Wave?

It's too awesome to not use though.

The disc drive in a Macbook scare the shit out of me. It sounds like something's about to explode.

Anyway, I should have this all uploaded and PM'd before I leave for tonight. Is it okay if I send the cover and write-up separately?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom