Retro Island - A Desert Island Spinoff Tournament

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've lost track. Are there still more spots to fill? And when do the lists/uploads need to be in by?

I can't believe I'm even asking, because I suck at flow* and thematic cohesion of any sort, so I'd probably be laughed right out of the contest.

*WTF?

Yes, we have one spot left. I'm hoping in another week or so we can start this. I'll post more later on tonight or tomorrow.

:lol:

Nah, I just want to share cool music from this era. I actually hope I don't win.

You're the new LMP, but that kind of thing rarely carries over to the mini-games.

Having not seen any lists, I have my money on Khan. She's in her element here, and whatever she comes up with will be 100% pure sex to anyone who cares enough to vote in this competition.

Having not seen any lists, I have my money on Khan. She's in her element here, and whatever she comes up with will be 100% pure sex to anyone who cares enough to vote in this competition.
swoon.gif

You're the new LMP, but that kind of thing rarely carries over to the mini-games.

You always have to compare shit, come on. I'm like "Streets" and Phanan's like "Life in Technicolor," it just is what it is... chord progressions and whatnot... :laugh:

I don't know if I should volunteer for this or not. I love old-school punk/post-punk and New Wave, but most of my stuff from that era is on vinyl or cassette. I've re-bought some on CD/iTunes, but not enough to come up with anything better than a retro greatest hits kind of thing. And I'm going to be super-busy with work the next few weeks anyway.

But it sure will be fun to see what the rest of you retro fans come up with!

So I never posted rules or anything at the beginning of this, because quite frankly, I wasn't sure if I'd get enough interest. But now that this is a go, let's review...

Welcome to Retro Island, our third installment in the mini-tournament series that takes place in between Desert Island competitions. After two previously successful mini-tournaments (Prog Island and Symphonic Island), we're gonna take the seriousness out of those two and turn this one into some fun.

The premise of the game is to create a "retro island" playlist of the best music from the punk/new wave era of the mid-70's-mid 80's time frame, into a jam-packed 80 minutes. Keep in mind that a great playlist depends on more than just great songs; cohesion is essential.

THE RULES
1. Your collection may not exceed 80 minutes in length. You may employ any medium you desire, with the two most common being one CD and unbroken "iPod tracklists". ANY ENTRY 80:01 (80 minutes, 1 second) OR LONGER WILL AUTOMATICALLY NEED TO BE REVISED OR YOU WILL BE DISQUALIFIED.
2. You may only use ONE song by any particular artist. In this rule, we are concerned with one continuous song; if the song is split into separate tracks or movements (e.g. to fit on vinyl), all tracks or movements may be included. However, if you wish to do this, please clear it with me first.
3. Every selection must appear on an OFFICIAL RELEASE by that artist. It may be any form of release: album, single, official live release, rarities box set, iTunes only release, or even a free track from the artist's official site. Unreleased tracks (e.g. U2's Mercy) and live bootlegs are not allowed ("official bootlegs" by bands such as Pearl Jam are permitted).
4. Tracks may not be edited/shortened in any way; you must use the official album run time. Naturally, this rule does not apply to official edits covered by rule #3, such as radio edits. Furthermore, you may edit a track to remove a separate hidden track at the end, e.g. Transatlantic's Stranger In Your Soul.
5. As this is a separate competition from Desert Island, any tracks used in those contests are acceptable here.

READ THE NEXT PARAGRAPH
IT IS VERY IMPORTANT

For this competition, please do NOT post your entries in this thread. Please e-mail them to myself at go-figure@comcast.net. Or you can PM me if you are premium.

Here's what we require from you:
1. Your tracklisting. See below for formatting.
2. Links to uploads of your tracklisting so that others may hear the music they do not know. Although optional in the past, this is now mandatory. All entries will be available on the Desert Island website (link in signature).
3. OPTIONAL: A paragraph with any additional details on your tracklisting, e.g. why you made the choices you made, any important facts you wish to note, why you think people should vote for your tracklistings, etc.
4. OPTIONAL: A cover for your tracklist, and any other additional materials you believe are essential to the full package. Please provide a stable link to the cover image on a picture hosting website.

FORMATTING - READ CAREFULLY
We require submissions to use the following format EXACTLY. The format, which is very easy to follow, is:

Forum name: [Your Interference name here]

Tracklist:

TRACKLIST TITLE (if you give it one)

Track #. Band Name - "Song Title" - Album Name (Time in Minutes:Seconds)
1. Please - "Follow This Format" - Thank You (20:15)
2. It Helps A Lot - "If You Follow This" - To The Letter (10:45)
3. Life Is Easier - "When People Do" - What Is Asked In The Rules (15:00)
4. Rules - "Are Not Hard" - To Follow (15:30)
5. Grammar, Punctuation, And Order - "Should Be Just Like They Are" - In This Example (7:15)
6. Thank You Very Much - "In Advance" - For Adhering To This Style! (43:20)

Total runtime: 112:05

DEADLINE
All submissions MUST be made by 10pm, 7 July 2008, US eastern savings time. The master list will be posted just after this deadline and the competition will begin the next Monday. You may submit items separately, e.g. you do not have to provide upload links the second you submit your tracklisting, but you must have all submissions made by that deadline.

The eight players will be divided into two groups, and the tournament will run the same as Desert Island.

I think that's everything. Let me know if you have any other questions.

lnr206.gif

And re: the rules. I didn't see the previous page til you pointed it out to me elsewhere. When I saw this thread this morning, I arrived at the last page, so missed a few posts..

phanan, just wondering, since this is an era-specific competition, what do you think of including the year of release in the tracklist? I find that kind of interesting, to see how the genre evolved, and all that. Or would that needlessly complicate things?

I think it's a great idea. I'll leave it as an optional requirement. If people want to do it, then cool. I probably will. In some cases, it will be helpful. My leadoff track, for example, is from 1982, but actually got popular in 1988 due to its inclusion in a certain film.

I think it's a great idea. I'll leave it as an optional requirement. If people want to do it, then cool. I probably will. In some cases, it will be helpful. My leadoff track, for example, is from 1982, but actually got popular in 1988 due to its inclusion in a certain film.

Using songs from soundtracks is frowned upon and you know that. Get some creativity and find songs no one has ever heard of. If not, use instrumental tracks, you jackknob.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom