Retro Island - A Desert Island Spinoff Tournament

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Right, but you can't have the genre without the sound, you know? It's gotta come from some place and those two artists in particular are credited for influencing a whole dearth of artists, if you wanna get technical about it.

You've also gotta credit artists like Kraftwerk and Gary Numan for pushing this into the mainstream as well, but that goes without saying.

That's true. I suppose it is like how Led Zeppelin sort of set the stage for metal but aren't actually considered metal themselves but some people. There are of course people who say they are so. It is all a matter of perspective I suppose.

That's true. I suppose it is like how Led Zeppelin sort of set the stage for metal but aren't actually considered metal themselves but some people. There are of course people who say they are so. It is all a matter of perspective I suppose.

Definitely.

I put Zeppelin more in the realm of "hard rock" and leave a band like Sabbath with that "metal" title, but it's totally up to interpretation.

Is Kate Bush really a source of "retro" music?

In a strange way, yes. She had an effect at the time on others but more importantly she influenced female and males artists in the 90's and 2000's. When people started to sound like her you thought of a certain time period of music. So now she is part of the sound of the late 70's and early 80's. In the same way that U2 didn't have an instant stamp on the period but due to inspiring others you say they sound like this period of music. I hope that makes sense.

In a strange way, yes. She had an effect at the time on others but more importantly she influenced female and males artists in the 90's and 2000's. When people started to sound like her you thought of a certain time period of music. So now she is part of the sound of the late 70's and early 80's. In the same way that U2 didn't have an instant stamp on the period but due to inspiring others you say they sound like this period of music. I hope that makes sense.

Okay, but did she directly influence the sound of that "retro" period? I've heard some of her stuff and just don't hear it, but that's just me.

Okay, but did she directly influence the sound of that "retro" period? I've heard some of her stuff and just don't hear it, but that's just me.

She opened the door for female artists and singer-songwriters of the time. She was so unique that no one sounded like her but she was the sound. No one sounded like U2 at the time but people equate the 80's to them.

She opened the door for female artists and singer-songwriters of the time. She was so unique that no one sounded like her but she was the sound. No one sounded like U2 at the time but people equate the 80's to them.

Alright, not going to argue with you here. I still don't hear her impact on that sound of the time, so more power to you.

Television and Echo & the Bunnymen were bands that U2 drew from, and those influences are pretty evident. In retrospect, U2 gets that title like you said, but it ain't all cinnamon and gravy.

I think I am going to include songs and artists that set the sound of retro music like Gabriel, The Cure, Kate Bush and others.

I would easily include these, as I would Kraftwerk and Gary Numan. Kate Bush may not technically fit but was given exposure from the new wave explosion, and you can hear some of the new wave sensibilities in there, as is Roxy Music "Avalon" era material. I think you can figure what bowie could work.

Not starting with In the Flesh is a good move :) That is definitely 70's rock lingering.

There's definitely more than meets the eye concerning the previous posted lists, but I think it gives a good picture of what Phanan is looking for.

I don't think he's gonna be too strict if you go off track a bit. But for the record........ no Journey, foreigner, Boston, Bad Co., Heart, etc.... :lol:

:wink:

:) Village People was a bad joke

:hmm: I definitely have some stuff that isn't new wave/ pop (though not a lot). I say leave it in if you like it. Would you consider Swingers or David Sylvian acceptable, though I probably won't use them.

Is there an e-mail address to send these to if we're finished? And do we need to upload/send links for all the songs we use as well?

I've lost track. Are there still more spots to fill? And when do the lists/uploads need to be in by?

I can't believe I'm even asking, because I suck at flow* and thematic cohesion of any sort, so I'd probably be laughed right out of the contest.

*WTF?

Nooo VP DOOO IT! You'll be fine, because my list is the #1 loser ;)

Hey Phanan, if there's ONE song on my list that's from 1987, but by a known New Wave band (read: New Order) can it slide in?

come on phanan, we're waiting for answers to all these questions! don't tell me you're out having a life :waiting:

Phanan is in it to win it. He's been home tweaking his set for two days solid now :lol:

Bono212 - absolutely, your '87 song can go in. (I think :reject:)

VP - you better join in :yes: If you like making a list, just do it. I make an order, then, I'm so beat just from doing that, I just leave it. I don't know anything about flow either. I figure if the songs are good, who care's what order they come up in :shrug: This island is in the Bermuda no laughing triangle :wink:

Nooo VP DOOO IT! You'll be fine, because my list is the #1 loser ;)

VP - you better join in :yes: If you like making a list, just do it. I make an order, then, I'm so beat just from doing that, I just leave it. I don't know anything about flow either. I figure if the songs are good, who care's what order they come up in :shrug: This island is in the Bermuda no laughing triangle :wink:

Thanks for the vote of confidence, guys.

hardy, who cares what order the songs come up in? The kids today do. They're all about flow. When I was a kid, we didn't have any damned flow.* We listened to them in any old order, and we liked it! :angry:

Many of the songs I'd put on it, I only have on vinyl. : oldskool: Dammit, I need one of those newfangled turntables with a USB connection that Ashley and Zoot have.

*wtf?

Thanks for the vote of confidence, guys.

hardy, who cares what order the songs come up in? The kids today do. They're all about flow. When I was a kid, we didn't have any damned flow.* We listened to them in any old order, and we liked it! :angry:

Many of the songs I'd put on it, I only have on vinyl. : oldskool: Dammit, I need one of those newfangled turntables with a USB connection that Ashley and Zoot have.

*wtf?

I could perhaps get you the music you needed if you were to persuade me :wink:

Hey, I got some flow for them............................... in my pants :lol:

No kidding VP. Who the heck was gonna keep getting up and change the record :)

I got a bunch of stuff too on record only, so I'm kinda limited in my selection also. I still buy cd's :lol: Don't have an ipod, don't know how to download to itunes :huh:
But I still had fun throwing a bunch of songs together, now Lila has to do the rest of the work :reject: (uploading, yada yada)

I sure can see though, how easy it could be

The kiddies can laugh behind our backs, like we use to do at the old folks (before we got old) :wink:

Please join in :yes:

I could perhaps get you the music you needed if you were to persuade me :wink:

Thanks! You have old punk/new wave albums laying around, too? :ohmy: ;)

I haven't really started looking for much of it yet. Some I got again on cd, some I have on my other computer, some I'm sure I can find online if I look. But if there's anything I really want that I can't find, I'll let you know.

The kiddies can laugh behind our backs, like we use to do at the old folks (before we got old) :wink:

Please join in :yes:

Hey, I'm not *that* old, mister! :madwife: :lol:

I might be jumping the gun, anyway. I still don't even know if there are spaces left...

Thanks! You have old punk/new wave albums laying around, too? :ohmy: ;)

I haven't really started looking for much of it yet. Some I got again on cd, some I have on my other computer, some I'm sure I can find online if I look. But if there's anything I really want that I can't find, I'll let you know.

Hey, I'm not *that* old, mister! :madwife: :lol:

I might be jumping the gun, anyway. I still don't even know if there are spaces left...

I've got it all :lol:

and I know there's at least one space left.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom