Retro Island - A Desert Island Spinoff Tournament

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's some artists.

Adam Ant
The B-52's
Bad Brains
Black Flag
Blondie
Buzzcocks
The Clash
Elvis Costello
Dead Kennedys
Devo
Duran Duran
Echo & the Bunnymen
The Human League
Joe Jackson
The Jam
Joy Division
Madness
Minor Threat
The Police
Public Image Ltd.
The Ramones
The Sex Pistols
Patti Smith
Talking Heads
Television
Violent Femmes
X
XTC
ABC
The Adverts
Bauhaus
The Birthday Party
The Cars
Cheap Trick
The Circle Jerks
Marshall Crenshaw
Culture Club
The Damned
The dB's
Dead Boys
Depeche Mode
Dexys Midnight Runners
Thomas Dolby
Ian Dury
The English Beat
The Fall
The Flamin' Groovies
Flipper
Frankie Goes to Hollywood
Gang of Four
The Germs
The Go-Go's
Richard Hell
Howard Jones
The Knack
Cyndi Lauper
Nick Lowe
Men Without Hats
The Misfits
Mission of Burma
New Order
The Only Ones
Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark
Graham Parker
Pere Ubu
The Plimsouls
The Psychedelic Furs
The Raincoats
Rockpile
The Saints
The Soft Boys
Soft Cell
Split Enz
Stiff Little Fingers
Stray Cats
Suicide
The Teardrop Explodes
Dwight Twilley
U.K. Subs
The Undertones
Wire
X-Ray Spex

Some more...

Eurythmics
Naked Eyes
Gary Numan
Marc Almond
Bronski Beat
The Buggles
Vince Clarke
A Flock of Seagulls
Heaven 17
Klaus Nomi
Talk Talk
Thompson Twins
Ultravox
Yaz
Yello
Yellow Magic Orchestra
a-ha
Alphaville
Clock DVA
Trevor Horn
Japan
Nik Kershaw
Level 42
Men Without Hats
Momus
Mark Mothersbaugh
The Normal
Propaganda

He's not really considered an artist of this genre, though.

I understand, but he and Bowie were considered pioneers of the genre, right? "On the Air" off of Peter Gabriel II sounds incredibly like something from the era.

EDIT: Looks like this has already been cleared up. But using something from Bowie's Low should be allowed, methinks.

Then all is well with the world

thomasandharold.jpg

I use to take Maddy to the toy store as a ploy so I could pick up some more track and make an even bigger set-up :reject: We never seemed to have enough switches :)

The trains would talk to each other as they rolled along :lol:

Screwtape, you better not drop out. Utopia is fine, as is early Gabriel, U2. I don't think anyone is gonna complain if you blur the line.

I understand, but he and Bowie were considered pioneers of the genre, right? "On the Air" off of Peter Gabriel II sounds incredibly like something from the era.

EDIT: Looks like this has already been cleared up. But using something from Bowie's Low should be allowed, methinks.

I was wondering about Bowie songs from the Labyrinth :lol: Get some Magic Dance going

Phanan, how do you define retro? Not everything in the late seventies and early eighties had a particular genre label but it definitely sounds retro.

Well, as I said at the beginning the term "retro" itself is quite broad, and there have been different periods of music that this term can be applied to. But it is most closely associated with New Wave, which evolved out of punk. So I thought it would be a great idea to focus on this specific genre and time period, as there was a lot of great stuff that came out, and it's fascinating how things progressed from an act like The Sex Pistols to artists like Depeche Mode.

I could have called this Punk/New Wave Island, but Retro Island was much better.

I was wondering about Bowie songs from the Labyrinth :lol: Get some Magic Dance going

Mid-'80s Bowie may be pushing it, but I can see his Eno albums (maybe not "Heroes") and Scary Monsters working out fine

I see Bowie and Gabriel more of creating the sound but not neccessarily the genre of new wave. They brought synths and solid pop-rock together. That was huge but the genre itself can be tranced back to other artists.

I see Bowie and Gabriel more of creating the sound but not neccessarily the genre of new wave. They brought synths and solid pop-rock together. That was huge but the genre itself can be tranced back to other artists.

Right, but you can't have the genre without the sound, you know? It's gotta come from some place and those two artists in particular are credited for influencing a whole dearth of artists, if you wanna get technical about it.

You've also gotta credit artists like Kraftwerk and Gary Numan for pushing this into the mainstream as well, but that goes without saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom