Retro Island - A Desert Island Spinoff Tournament

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Emergency list! :laugh:

Man, I'm tempted to round up a bunch of songs and make a list just for the heck of it but it would probably be too greatest hitsy for you folk! :grumpy:

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to seeing all your lists! :dance:

I wouldn't worry about greatest hits or anything. I have plenty of hits on mine, and let's face it, the majority of songs from this time period were hits in one way or another. You should do it.

One way or another...see what I did there? :wink:

I wouldn't worry about greatest hits or anything. I have plenty of hits on mine, and let's face it, the majority of songs from this time period were hits in one way or another. You should do it.

One way or another...see what I did there? :wink:

I'm gonna find you! :wink:

Yeah, I figured you'd probably skip this one. No worries.

I never would have associated punk stuff with "retro", though. I could probably cobble together eighty minutes of punk and post-punk stuff that I really like.

Retro makes me think of cheesy discos playing Abba and Duran Duran.

I never would have associated punk stuff with "retro", though. I could probably cobble together eighty minutes of punk and post-punk stuff that I really like.

Retro makes me think of cheesy discos playing Abba and Duran Duran.

Oh, it's most definitely part of it. New Wave grew out of the punk movement, after all.

Disco music is NOT new wave. Abba is nowhere near this genre. And Duran Duran isn't disco.

Oh, it's most definitely part of it. New Wave grew out of the punk movement, after all.

Disco music is NOT new wave. Abba is nowhere near this genre. And Duran Duran isn't disco.

Well, I know new wave had its origins in punk, but the Sex Pistols, retro?

exactly. i mean shit, duran duran (since we're using them as a comparison and all) have said they were a cross between chic and the sex pistols. take from that what you will.

and yes, i am a fan of SOME (some, srsly) disco. but it's nothing like new wave, except that you can dance to it.

oh, and is it sad not that i have to decide which songs to put on, but i'm wondering which playlist to use? i've got several playlists i've made for cds that fit this criteria

:reject:

Hey Khan...if I went to several websites to compile a list of artists I like that are considered New Wave, would you be kind enough to go over the list and tell me what's not really right?

Hey Khan...if I went to several websites to compile a list of artists I like that are considered New Wave, would you be kind enough to go over the list and tell me what's not really right?
sure! :D

how sad that i'm considered an authority figure on a genre that mostly petered out when i was an infant!

exactly. i mean shit, duran duran (since we're using them as a comparison and all) have said they were a cross between chic and the sex pistols. take from that what you will.

and yes, i am a fan of SOME (some, srsly) disco. but it's nothing like new wave, except that you can dance to it.

I look forward to watching this contest, but, wanted to say that I am very unashamed to mention that I am a fan of some disco as well.

That is all.

I'm not ashamed to say it, I love some of that disco stuff. Saturday Nite Fever alone is worthy. More Than a Woman, Night Fever, Stayin' alive...... :reject: :lol: None on my list though............................................................................yet.

I've discarded a lot of stuff I originally intended to include because I've decided to chuck any sort of theme and just do a big pile of fun. There was so much of it and it's only 80 minutes. So I could easily do a second one of longer tracks, it would be a bit darker or angrier. But that was part of the punk and post punk movement, as well. Anyways, Bela Lagosi's Dead alone is almost 10 minutes, add in the original Ministry 'Jesus built my hot rod' (8 +), a few others wouldn't be too tough to get to 80. Wouldn't be a bad list either. Or Phanan, you could do a second also, or Khan. Sorta like Notaxver. This isn't really a serious competition (or is it :)), there's gonna be plenty of overlapping anyways, I'm guessing.

Just a thought, so the whole thing isn't derailed.

We weren't going to go past the mid-80's, though. Jesus Built My Hotrod is from 1991, correct? I want to focus on the mid-70's to mid-80's time frame.

And hell no, do just a fun playlist. This isn't serious at all, just having a good time until DI5 rolls around.

That little bastard. He's out of school for the summer, he has the time, make him do it, phone or no phone. YLB, there's an emergency, you're needed.

Did somebody say my name?

Max.jpg

Alright, I'll do it. I've already got a running list together right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom