Retro Island - A Desert Island Spinoff Tournament - Page 9 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-27-2008, 05:06 PM   #121
Blue Crack Addict
 
phanan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: in the darkness on the edge of town
Posts: 25,063
Local Time: 11:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMacPhisto View Post
You've also gotta credit artists like Kraftwerk and Gary Numan for pushing this into the mainstream as well, but that goes without saying.
Most definitely, in terms of the electronic aspect.
__________________

__________________
phanan is offline  
Old 06-27-2008, 05:07 PM   #122
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier
 
LMP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 37,609
Local Time: 10:45 PM
Is Kate Bush really a source of "retro" music?
__________________

__________________
LMP is offline  
Old 06-27-2008, 05:07 PM   #123
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
hardyharhar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Out Californy-way
Posts: 8,403
Local Time: 09:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
Count me out then. Enjoy

Dave, what were you considering using that you don't think fits.

We don't want you to drop out
__________________
hardyharhar is offline  
Old 06-27-2008, 05:08 PM   #124
Blue Crack Addict
 
Screwtape2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Posts: 18,353
Local Time: 11:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMacPhisto View Post
Right, but you can't have the genre without the sound, you know? It's gotta come from some place and those two artists in particular are credited for influencing a whole dearth of artists, if you wanna get technical about it.

You've also gotta credit artists like Kraftwerk and Gary Numan for pushing this into the mainstream as well, but that goes without saying.
That's true. I suppose it is like how Led Zeppelin sort of set the stage for metal but aren't actually considered metal themselves but some people. There are of course people who say they are so. It is all a matter of perspective I suppose.
__________________
Screwtape2 is offline  
Old 06-27-2008, 05:09 PM   #125
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier
 
LMP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 37,609
Local Time: 10:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwtape2 View Post
That's true. I suppose it is like how Led Zeppelin sort of set the stage for metal but aren't actually considered metal themselves but some people. There are of course people who say they are so. It is all a matter of perspective I suppose.
Definitely.

I put Zeppelin more in the realm of "hard rock" and leave a band like Sabbath with that "metal" title, but it's totally up to interpretation.
__________________
LMP is offline  
Old 06-27-2008, 05:22 PM   #126
Blue Crack Addict
 
Screwtape2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Posts: 18,353
Local Time: 11:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMacPhisto View Post
Is Kate Bush really a source of "retro" music?
In a strange way, yes. She had an effect at the time on others but more importantly she influenced female and males artists in the 90's and 2000's. When people started to sound like her you thought of a certain time period of music. So now she is part of the sound of the late 70's and early 80's. In the same way that U2 didn't have an instant stamp on the period but due to inspiring others you say they sound like this period of music. I hope that makes sense.
__________________
Screwtape2 is offline  
Old 06-27-2008, 05:28 PM   #127
ONE
love, blood, life
 
namkcuR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Kettering, Ohio
Posts: 10,290
Local Time: 11:45 PM
There's some Bowie that could fit in the punk mold.
__________________
namkcuR is offline  
Old 06-27-2008, 05:33 PM   #128
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier
 
LMP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 37,609
Local Time: 10:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwtape2 View Post
In a strange way, yes. She had an effect at the time on others but more importantly she influenced female and males artists in the 90's and 2000's. When people started to sound like her you thought of a certain time period of music. So now she is part of the sound of the late 70's and early 80's. In the same way that U2 didn't have an instant stamp on the period but due to inspiring others you say they sound like this period of music. I hope that makes sense.
Okay, but did she directly influence the sound of that "retro" period? I've heard some of her stuff and just don't hear it, but that's just me.
__________________
LMP is offline  
Old 06-27-2008, 05:34 PM   #129
The Male
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 65,813
Local Time: 08:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by namkcuR View Post
There's some Bowie that could fit in the punk mold.
I could see pretty much anything from Scary Monsters working here.
__________________


Now.
LemonMelon is online now  
Old 06-27-2008, 06:15 PM   #130
Blue Crack Addict
 
Screwtape2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Posts: 18,353
Local Time: 11:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMacPhisto View Post
Okay, but did she directly influence the sound of that "retro" period? I've heard some of her stuff and just don't hear it, but that's just me.
She opened the door for female artists and singer-songwriters of the time. She was so unique that no one sounded like her but she was the sound. No one sounded like U2 at the time but people equate the 80's to them.
__________________
Screwtape2 is offline  
Old 06-27-2008, 06:59 PM   #131
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier
 
LMP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 37,609
Local Time: 10:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwtape2 View Post
She opened the door for female artists and singer-songwriters of the time. She was so unique that no one sounded like her but she was the sound. No one sounded like U2 at the time but people equate the 80's to them.
Alright, not going to argue with you here. I still don't hear her impact on that sound of the time, so more power to you.

Television and Echo & the Bunnymen were bands that U2 drew from, and those influences are pretty evident. In retrospect, U2 gets that title like you said, but it ain't all cinnamon and gravy.
__________________
LMP is offline  
Old 06-27-2008, 08:22 PM   #132
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
hardyharhar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Out Californy-way
Posts: 8,403
Local Time: 09:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwtape2 View Post
I think I am going to include songs and artists that set the sound of retro music like Gabriel, The Cure, Kate Bush and others.
I would easily include these, as I would Kraftwerk and Gary Numan. Kate Bush may not technically fit but was given exposure from the new wave explosion, and you can hear some of the new wave sensibilities in there, as is Roxy Music "Avalon" era material. I think you can figure what bowie could work.

Not starting with In the Flesh is a good move That is definitely 70's rock lingering.

There's definitely more than meets the eye concerning the previous posted lists, but I think it gives a good picture of what Phanan is looking for.

I don't think he's gonna be too strict if you go off track a bit. But for the record........ no Journey, foreigner, Boston, Bad Co., Heart, etc....

__________________
hardyharhar is offline  
Old 06-27-2008, 08:23 PM   #133
Blue Crack Distributor
 
bono_212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 81,105
Local Time: 08:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardyharhar View Post
I don't think he's gonna be too strict if you go off track a bit. But for the record........ no Journey, foreigner, Boston, Bad Co., Heart, etc....

Shit....now I have to start all over





__________________
bono_212 is offline  
Old 06-28-2008, 12:01 AM   #134
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator
 
KhanadaRhodes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: a vampire in the limousine
Posts: 60,609
Local Time: 10:45 PM
only post-punk/new wave is permitted? shit...i'm gonna have to modify my tracklist a little
__________________
KhanadaRhodes is offline  
Old 06-28-2008, 12:36 AM   #135
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
hardyharhar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Out Californy-way
Posts: 8,403
Local Time: 09:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KhanadaRhodes View Post
only post-punk/new wave is permitted? shit...i'm gonna have to modify my tracklist a little
Now you have me worried. What are you removing? Metallica? Village People?
__________________

__________________
hardyharhar is offline  
 

Tags
desert island, retro island

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com