Retro Island - A Desert Island Spinoff Tournament

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I figure that if all submissions are in by Monday, everyone can take next week to listen, and then we can start the competition the following Monday, July 14. With only two groups, we'd probably wrap things up by the last week of the month.

I'm thinking about dropping a Bowie song for a Simple Minds song. The Bowie song might be a couple years earlier than you want, and the Simple Minds song is pretty seminal, if a bit overrated. :hmm:

I'm thinking about dropping a Bowie song for a Simple Minds song. The Bowie song might be a couple years earlier than you want, and the Simple Minds song is pretty seminal, if a bit overrated. :hmm:

Don't You Forget About Me? dumdum-danah?

Don't You Forget About Me? dumdum-danah?

Yeah, but I can't get get that into it. It's like...it's ok, it's sort of fun, it's somewhat catchy, but it's not great. There's much better material out there. I didn't want my playlist to be littered with brat-pack-movie-soundtrack sugar songs(OMD's 'If You Leave' also hasn't made the cut yet). But then Don't You Forget About Me has this reputation of being a defining song of the 80s. I dunno.

Yeah, but I can't get get that into it. It's like...it's ok, it's sort of fun, it's somewhat catchy, but it's not great. There's much better material out there. I didn't want my playlist to be littered with brat-pack-movie-soundtrack sugar songs(OMD's 'If You Leave' also hasn't made the cut yet). But then Don't You Forget About Me has this reputation of being a defining song of the 80s. I dunno.

It's one of my favorite songs, but I see what you're saying. If you've got a balance of both of popular and more obscure tracks, then you're all good.

If you've got a balance of both of popular and more obscure tracks, then you're all good.

I'm having a difficult time judging this. I know the songs I'm using very well, but I'm not sure if the rest of you - especially you young 'uns - will. I'm trying not to use songs that have been played to death in the decades since. In the case of really well known artists of that era, I'm trying to use more obscure (but still great) tracks, so you'll be introduced to and hopefully enjoy songs that are new to you.

Meh. I should probably look at lists from previous competitions to see how obscure is too obscure.

I'm having a difficult time judging this. I know the songs I'm using very well, but I'm not sure if the rest of you - especially you young 'uns - will. I'm trying not to use songs that have been played to death in the decades since. In the case of really well known artists of that era, I'm trying to use more obscure (but still great) tracks, so you'll be introduced to and hopefully enjoy songs that are new to you.

Meh. I should probably look at lists from previous competitions to see how obscure is too obscure.

However you wanna put it, as long as it sounds good together, it's alright with me. The obscure thing is all relative, like you said, but it's cool to see every once and a while. Finding new music and liking it is always a great feeling, but I'd much rather enjoy a well-made mix even if I know most of the songs on there. That's just me though.

Agreed. How you come up with your list is up to you. Put what you want on there. I wouldn't care if it's all hits, or all songs I've never heard of, it's still going to be unique in its own way.

And namkcuR, good call on Simple Minds. I totally forgot about them.

Early Bowie and other acts like The Velvet Underground and the New York Dolls were really precursors to the whole punk movement, which really didn't explode onto the scene until 1975-1976. So I would say no.

However, several Bowie albums from the late 70's and early 80's can definitely be considered for this.

However, several Bowie albums from the late 70's and early 80's can definitely be considered for this.

:yes:

Lodger
Scary Monsters
Let's Dance
Tonight
Never Let Me Go

Not that anyone would want to use anything from the last two...

Tonight and Never Let Me Down are almost complete rubbish, save for a song or two.

El-Mel, I can't believe you forgot Low.

El-Mel, I can't believe you forgot Low.

Did that on purpose. It influenced New Wave but isn't melodic enough to fit in with it directly. Plus the second half isn't even close to much of what people are going to use on their list.

Same goes for Heroes.

Tonight and Never Let Me Down are almost complete rubbish, save for a song or two.

Agreed. And Let's Dance has some awful stuff on it as well. It's weird - the first three tracks are 80's classics, and you're thinking wow, Bowie's made a huge change in sound and it's working, but after that, save for maybe one or two more songs, it falls flat on its face.

Modern Love FTW. I've always loved that song. The beginning is cool.

Phanan, I've submitted my entry to you via private message. I sent you a second PM right after because Interference had censored my upload link, so I had to tell you what to type between the dots.

Hope you got both of them. :)

Agreed. And Let's Dance has some awful stuff on it as well. It's weird - the first three tracks are 80's classics, and you're thinking wow, Bowie's made a huge change in sound and it's working, but after that, save for maybe one or two more songs, it falls flat on its face.

Modern Love FTW. I've always loved that song. The beginning is cool.

I've always loved "Modern Love", "China Girl", "Cat People", and the title track, other than that... meh.

I've never done one of these before. Are the files supposed to be uploaded to a specific site? Should they be separate song files, or one big zip file?

Uploading to a large .zip to mediafire is the easiest possible thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom