resume question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kobayashi

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
do you have a 'personal interests' section on your resume?

a friend of mine, who i consider immensely more qualified and skillful than i, has one.

he considers me immensely more qualified and skillful than he, however, and i dont.

so is this an accepted practice? i always thought it was kind of silly.

I have one. I dont know if it's a good idea or not.

Employers always seem to comment about things in it though.

I think it depends on the job you're applying for and how much you already have in your resume. Most of the people I've known who've added a personal interest section to their resume didn't have much job experience and so use personal interest for padding.
If you think it's silly, don't do it. Really there is no one right way to do a resume.

I was told that the personal interests section shouldn't be on there...that was after I had sent out a few resumes already. Nobody was calling me about interviews either. After I took it off, I got an interview that eventually got me a job.

Possibly a coincidence...but mayhaps not.........:shifty:

I've always thought the things you've done should reflect your personal interests. :shrug: My resume used to be too long. :crack:

I don't think you need it. I just had a human resource person at my previous job redo my resume and she said the shorter the better so I wouldn't have room for something like that.

I used to have a small personal interests section
but I only named hobbies that showed I am a team player or that show that I am willing to study hard to achieve my goals

I still pretty much sucked at interviews though

Most employers prefer 1 or 2 page resumes.. nothing longer than that.

And personal interests doesnt need to be on there. Personal SKILLS maybe like hard working, ambitious, team player etc but not like "I like to ride bikes and go horseback riding" :der:

I took a resume class :wave:

:| I should get you to look at my resume Sicy....... no one has responded to me. :scream:

I don't have a personal interests section. I am among the group that thinks their silly. Yeah hi, :wave: I like to follow U2 around when on tour. :no: Not likely to get me a job.

You can email it to me and I can take a look :wave:

April emailed me hers and I fixed it all up for her :kiss:

Now she has a job :lol: :D

Sicy said:
You can email it to me and I can take a look :wave:

April emailed me hers and I fixed it all up for her :kiss:

Now she has a job :lol: :D

:hyper: thx!!! I will email it to you now! No rush though. :)

You don't have to put in on your resume. However, if you have a hobby which could make you look more suitable for the job, it could be wise to put in on. For instance, if you apply for a job working as a journalist, and you used to write for a local paper or something.

But like Sicy said, I wouldn't put things like "I collect G.I. Joe's" on it.

Gickies Gageeze said:
thanks. it was a serious question, but alright.

CV is a fancy name for a resume :|

Therefore, I did not think you were serious.

Sicy said:

curriculum vitae i believe.
ive only heard it the last couple of years-i was so confused the first time i was asked to send him my cv.

Sicy said:

Therefore, I did not think you were serious.

fair enough, but i dont think the two are not the same. i pretty much had to guess my way around it when i made mine last week and i have no idea if its any good or not. one of the people i submitted to said it looked good, without me even having to ask. :wink:

actually, doesnt cv stand for curriculum vitae or something like that?

whatever, i made mine, and im not ever going to make another one again. :angry:

A CV is a little different in that it's a little more formal than a resume, and usually longer. It's more for academic and research jobs than for businesses and includes published works, awards, and activities. It's almost like a biography rather than strictly a work history.

Well my boss sucks then cuz I just asked her what the difference was and she said not much. :crack:

yeah it has a basis in academic journals. that is where they were first used. for some reason everyone now requests a 'c.v.' i think they have now become one and the other.

kobayashi said:
do you have a 'personal interests' section on your resume?

a friend of mine, who i consider immensely more qualified and skillful than i, has one.

he considers me immensely more qualified and skillful than he, however, and i dont.

so is this an accepted practice? i always thought it was kind of silly.

Kobayashi,

A personal interests section makes more sense when you do not have a large Work Experience section - I typically see them from applicants who are fresh out of school and have never held a job. Not having a personal interests section will certainly not be held against you.

You may include one, however, if there are certain skills or experiences you want to get in front of an employer.

Good luck! :wave:

Back
Top Bottom