Resume...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Liesje

Blue Crack Addict
For one oy my business classes I have to submit a portfolio and one item is a resume. We didn't go over them in class b/c I'm the only student in the class that's not a senior looking for a new job so I don't have one already prepared. Questions:

1) Objective. I gather it's like your own mission statement. But how do you word it? Like "Objective: My objective is....." or "Objective: To do/be this and this and this..." I'm using the professional resume template in Word.

2) References. Do I include them? If so, anything else besides name, address, and phone number (like, relationship to me?) And how many?

I started my objective with "To..."

As for references, I set mine up listing their name, relationship or company position, and contact info. I also put the contact names and info for my past employers on that page.

I didn't put an objective on my resume since I always submitted it with a cover letter. As for references, hmm I guess I indicated I had them available in my cover letter, too.

Since that didn't help much lol, here's a cool site with a nice outline on how to create a resume. so you wanna write an impressive resume.

Actually, I'm supposed to submit a cover letter. And if I've never done one before, to find a job and make one up. So then it's OK to skip the objective?

you don't always need an objective, like Olive said, it's in her cover letter. I guess it really depends on the job. I kind of think an objective is sort of stupid anyways. Especially since I send a cover letter. My objective is to find a job at this point. :|

Most places will have you fill out an actual application of some sort when you are interviewed. Your referrences are needed for that but they don't go on a resume or cover letter. Especially since you should never have a resume be more than 1 page and a cover letter should be a few very short and to the point paragraphs. I know from my past experience of being on the hiring side the boss I had at the time said if a resume is more than one page to toss it because she didn't want to have to flip to a second page when quickly scanning them over. When you go on an interview you should bring a copy of your referrences typed up just in case you dont' fill out an application but the interviewer still wants a copy of referrences.

Try and get 3 references, all relevant for the last year.
I never include referee names/contact details on my resumes, putting in that field "Available on request" instead. I think I do it out of privacy, and also because your referees are not going to be called unless you pretty much have the job anyway.

Yes, the slick move is "available upon request".

Concise, legible, and most importantly... grammatically/mechanically correct. You don't want your chances to reside on a menial error such as that.

:up:

As for objective I've heard quite a few different formats for delivery and presentation. Some prefer bullets over block paragraph form. However like arw and others above pointed out, as long as the information is in your cover letter, then objectives may not be necessary. Trends in resum? styles change frequently, so there's never one way to do it. Consistency and presentation are the most important things, regardless of content placement.

I would not include either objectives or references in the resume.

As stated above, the objective is best left for a cover letter.

The phrase "References available upon request" can look like stock filler. Of course you will give references if the employer asks. Have at least three available on a separate piece of paper. Make sure your references know that you are using them as references.

Sorry - I didn't clarify, my references/contacts are on a separate page that I have available when I go in for an interview, but I don't give it unless they ask (I just bring copies along).

OK. I'll scratch the objective since I have to do a cover letter and drop references completely (Reminder: this is for a class portfolio, not an actual interview)

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
OK. I'll scratch the objective since I have to do a cover letter and drop references completely (Reminder: this is for a class portfolio, not an actual interview)

you'll be really thankful if you take it seriously as if it was for an actual interivew. :yes: And it sounds like you are. I know I was the first time I had to send out a resume and cover letter. I felt very prepared after taking a class or two and I know a lot of my friends had to figure it out on their own using a book.

Just remember that with any cover letter or resume has to be tailored for the job that you are applying for.

The references that most employers look for are previous employers (supervisers and/or co-workers). Make sure you ask the reference to use them before you submit their name. I have used 'References available on request' on all my resumes.

Do not lie on your resume or cover letter.

try and stay away from word templates, they really screw up the format... everythings not lined up correctly and plus its hard to add/delete things later. my counselor told me not to use them. i can show you mine if you want to see it.

heres my objective: A challenging geography internship where I can utilize my GIS and computer skills.

i didn't use any references in my recent resume because they were 6-8 years old (high school and job from that time frame) but i will add college professors on my next revision.

Last edited:
I still use "Objective: what contribution I plan to make to their team" on my resume. It helps to clarify what your employment goal is when it becomes separated from that great letter you sent with it. I also would suggest adding in other pertinent ones such as "languages" and "computer tools" or other relevant experience. If you don?t have a lot of experience in the field that you are applying for because of a recent graduation or career change, don't forget to add the clubs, tutoring, achievements and experiences in. I don't, however, put references on the resume. that is kind of tacky and takes way too much space. I make a separate professional document that lists my work related references and any attached letters of reference I might have. The key to a great resume is to attract their attention with as little reading and studying as possible so the term K.I.S.S. applies (one of the few great terms I picked up from my A&P instructor, "keep it simple stupid") No bullets, no graphics, simple 10-12 professional font and make sure it is in a scannable format and for a professional, as few pages as possible, shoot for one concise, professional looking page. Employers are known to scan your resume into a network and send it to supervisors. I think there are tips to creating a scannable resume on the job search section of mayo.edu. Good Luck!!!

Back
Top Bottom