Rescue Ashlee Simpson's Career

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Flying FuManchu said:
If you were her manager or in control of her career... hell, if you were Ashlee Simpso, what would you do or what advice would you give?
If I was her manager or in control of her career, I would bail out ASAP and deny ever being involved...

BrownEyedBoy said:
Booing is rude. As simple as that. It just looks so terrible, how it happened in unision, like it was planned. There wasn't even a silenced attempt at applause it was strictly booing. I'm sure no one really cared about the performance at the moment and saw the guy next to them boo-ing so they went right along with it.

Typical mob-mentality. I bet that if she met all those audience members one by one they'd probably ask for an autograph and then go show-off to their friends.

I'm also sure there were plenty of rocket scientists in the stadium that day. :rolleyes:

People hate Ashlee Simpson because it's cool to hate Ashlee Simpson. Britney Spears is no better than she is and everyone loved her for the same reason they hate Ashlee Simpson. :eyebrow:

you're an interesting charachter...perhaps an alter? i'm serious, you must be Jick or something in disguise.

if i'm wrong here, well then i apologize.

alright, now that i've seen the video and heard the booing, i'd recommend that she never showed her stupid face in public ever again.

how many times does she have to embarass herself before she realizes she's the lamest thing in pop music these days?

and what's with that song?! you make me wanna whaa?! have sex? i'm guessing so. gee, thanks ashlee, that's neat, but could you perhaps describe it a little more elogantly next time?

oh right! you don't actually write any of your own stuff now do you? no...that's too bad, tell you what. you promise to stop appearing in public in any capacity, and i'll promise to never wear my old canucks jersey with the white jogging pants that i got in grade 5, alright? great.

a quarterback who was drafted first overall in the nfl, but turned out to be a complete bust.

Zoomerang96 said:

you're an interesting charachter...perhaps an alter? i'm serious, you must be Jick or something in disguise.

if i'm wrong here, well then i apologize.

No, no, I am really serious about this. I feel that her performance wasn't really that offensive, and I am assuming that the only acceptable catalyst for booing is something being offensive to you and/or affecting you in such a way that you feel compelled to boo.

I watch the performance and she wasn't even off key. Sure, she wasn't a Grade A performer but it wasn't really that hideous. I believe that it is rude to boo someone on stage and should only be done on a need-to-do basis.

I am a performer myself, and I know that it takes a lot of work and initially guts to perform - and if you're performing in such a massive scale as she was then all the more pressure. I believe that someone who exposes themself trying to entertaing a mass of drunk college kids deserves just a tad more of respect.

Shania Twain clearly lyp-synched in one of those big performances, I believe it was the Super Bowl but I am not sure; she received an ovation. Ahslee Simoson didn't and she was booed for the hell of it. Just because it was fun. Just because a couple of beer holding guys thought it would be funny to humilliate someone. It just doesn't seem right for someone who geniunly tried.

I still believe that people hate Ashlee Simpson because it's cool to hate it and everyon else is doing it, so that makes it OK to hate her.

I was just really dissapointed with that display of today's culture ...or lack thereof. :tsk:

BrownEyedBoy said:

No, no, I am really serious about this. I feel that her performance wasn't really that offensive, and I am assuming that the only acceptable catalyst for booing is something being offensive to you and/or affecting you in such a way that you feel compelled to boo.

I watch the performance and she wasn't even off key. Sure, she wasn't a Grade A performer but it wasn't really that hideous. I believe that it is rude to boo someone on stage and should only be done on a need-to-do basis.

I am a performer myself, and I know that it takes a lot of work and initially guts to perform - and if you're performing in such a massive scale as she was then all the more pressure. I believe that someone who exposes themself trying to entertaing a mass of drunk college kids deserves just a tad more of respect.

Shania Twain clearly lyp-synched in one of those big performances, I believe it was the Super Bowl but I am not sure; she received an ovation. Ahslee Simoson didn't and she was booed for the hell of it. Just because it was fun. Just because a couple of beer holding guys thought it would be funny to humilliate someone. It just doesn't seem right for someone who geniunly tried.

I still believe that people hate Ashlee Simpson because it's cool to hate it and everyon else is doing it, so that makes it OK to hate her.

I was just really dissapointed with that display of today's culture ...or lack thereof. :tsk:

No, Ashlee Simpson was booed off the stage because she is a terrible musician with a below average voice who MTV and clearchanell is forcing down the throat of American. She is also the person that was caught lip synching on national television and then told terrible lies to cover it up.

She was then hired (read forced down America's throat) to play the half time show of the biggest college football game of the year. While she didn't lip synch her performance confirmed what everyone has been thinking - this girl has no talent. People are fed up.

She got booed. Personally I would not have booed. Others did, perhaps I won't have to see her anymore on the tele.

*still defending the fans*

I don't know many drunk college kids who can afford to go to the Orange Bowl. :shrug:

Seriously, I think your perception of what kind of people attended the Orange Bowl is way off. I know people who were there. Calling them a mass of drunk college kids is inaccurate and disrespectful.

Well I dunno about you guys... but I'm not a halfbad singer and have loads of bad highschoolish poetry just begging to be heard by the unwitting masses....

Oh wait. I don't have a famous sister or a horribly creepy ex-minister father willing to whore me out in the name of the holy DOLLAR!

Oh well.

I like to think the booing is a sign that the American public is finally getting sick of prefabricated pop (which is exactly what Ashlee is - her music and her career is as manufactured as that of Brittney Spears) being passed off as "real" and "authentic."

Bono's shades said:
I like to think the booing is a sign that the American public is finally getting sick of prefabricated pop (which is exactly what Ashlee is - her music and her career is as manufactured as that of Brittney Spears) being passed off as "real" and "authentic."

It's not as if the general American public *ever* liked her. Ashlee Simpson is clearly being targeted to a 11-18 demographic, primarily. The idea, of course, is that little teenage brats will like her and nag their parents to buy her CDs, merchandise, and concert tickets.

It's a demographic that is regularly targeted. Where do you think Britney Spears came from? Now that the 11-18 crowd is losing interest in her, she is trying *very hard* to appeal to a slightly older demographic. Whether Ashlee or Britney survives in the long term is anyone's guess.

Melon

okay, i do not care for ashlee simpson. I dont think she has much talent at this point.

BUT..............

i am sure a lot of you when the SNL thing came out said "Thats bullshit, she should really sing" Now she does and ya still gripe. Get the fuck outta here. Bonos voice isnt great on boy. true not as bad as ashlees but he wasnt as good as sinatra either.

As far as blaming the band thing. She had less than 15 minutes to address the world at the end of the show. People told her what to say. ANYONE at that age in show business does not have there own opinion.

This being said im NOT predicting her to win grammys or even last 10 years in the business but many of you are just doing this because everyone else is. Can you say sheep!

I reiterate she aint great or even good . But it was her first "LIVE" performance without the lip sync shit. Everyone else there didn't sound good either. When you sing you have to feel it. you can tell by her mannerisms she didn't

brush, browneyed boy: if you can't call a spade a spade, then i just feel sorry for you.

if you can't acknowledge that she's a no-talent hack who's only popular because of her older sister, and that every time she gets on the radio SOMEONE WITH MORE TALENT DOESN'T, then you should be embarassed.

there can be no defense of her. she represents everything that's wrong.

okay, but months ago everyone loved her, i just believe your on the band wagon. i do not care for her and i said i don't think she is very talented, but its a bit early. Look at avril first album is so-so second album has good lyrics and a more in tune voice.

i guess i just don't like seing you kick her while she is kissing the carpet.

TheBrush said:
okay, but months ago everyone loved her, i just believe your on the band wagon. i do not care for her and i said i don't think she is very talented, but its a bit early. Look at avril first album is so-so second album has good lyrics and a more in tune voice.

i guess i just don't like seing you kick her while she is kissing the carpet.

:crazy: There really should be an International English cause somethings said...........

lets start hating avril now. Cause that i will defend, she has shown improvement. shes better than decent, if that makes any sense.

TheBrush said:
I reiterate she aint great or even good . But it was her first "LIVE" performance without the lip sync shit. Everyone else there didn't sound good either. When you sing you have to feel it. you can tell by her mannerisms she didn't

Actually, the Orange Bowl was not her first live performance on television or otherwise. If you watched her show, her father made her perform as part of a showcase so that she could prove herself. She was backed by members of Sugar Ray who also helped her write her record. As for her other live television performance, she performed at the AMAs or Billboard Awards or something. Oh, and the MTV VMAs.

I'm not sure who you're classifying as "everyone" but no one I know likes her or even bothers with pop music. Perhaps you're referring to teenagers or middleschoolers - people more in her demographic. Triple Platinum in sales doesn't mean "everyone" and is not even close to my taste.

As for the band wagon - perhaps you're assuming some of us used to like her. Most of us never have and never will. It's easy to pull out the "band wagon" accusation - and perhaps for some that is the case, but doubtful on these boards. For accuracy, go to the NSYNC JJB boards for the band wagoners of whom you speak.

The SNL thing was very unfortunate and embarrassing, and I really do feel that the outcry over it was a bit much. But she is riding her sister's coattails, and wouldn't even have a record contract right now if it wasn't for Jessica's overexposure and her father/manager putting her out there like that.

Last edited:
HelloAngel said:

Actually, the Orange Bowl was not her first live performance on television or otherwise. If you watched her show, her father made her perform as part of a showcase so that she could prove herself. She was backed by members of Sugar Ray who also helped her write her record. As for her other live television performance, she performed at the AMAs or Billboard Awards or something. Oh, and the MTV VMAs.

I'm not sure who you're classifying as "everyone" but no one I know likes her or even bothers with pop music. Perhaps you're referring to teenagers or middleschoolers - people more in her demographic. Triple Platinum in sales doesn't mean "everyone" and is not even close to my taste.

As for the band wagon - perhaps you're assuming some of us used to like her. Most of us never have and never will. It's easy to pull out the "band wagon" accusation - and perhaps for some that is the case, but doubtful on these boards. For accuracy, go to the NSYNC JJB boards for the band wagoners of whom you speak.

The SNL thing was very unfortunate and embarrassing, and I really do feel that the outcry over it was a bit much. But she is riding her sister's coattails, and wouldn't even have a record contract right now if it wasn't for Jessica's overexposure and her father/manager putting her out there like that.

-Read the quotation marks, its probably the first time she sung live, not performed live, she usually lip syncs. This was also nation.......and i hate to break it to you but at the VMA's she lip synced.
-i mean a lot more people liked her and were into her acouple months ago. its funny how now we hear only negative things now.

-good point about her sister and the contract, but you would have done the same thing, i would have and so would everyone else on the panel (not trying to speak for everyone just making a point)

TheBrush said:

-Read the quotation marks, its probably the first time she sung live, not performed live, she usually lip syncs. This was also nation.......and i hate to break it to you but at the VMA's she lip synced.
-i mean a lot more people liked her and were into her acouple months ago. its funny how now we hear only negative things now.

Again, I'm positive it wasn't her first LIVE singing performance. But we can disagree there, and yes I read your quotations. And you're not breaking anything to me - I don't expect anything from most popstars.

Actually, again - I have no idea who you're thinking liked her awhile ago - but now it's just that the people who didn't like her all along are having their say, you know what I mean? This is a demographic thing. People on a U2 message board are not the ideal demographic for your band wagon theory on this one because most of us were not in her corner to begin with.

I think Zoomerang96 brought this up, but it's not just Ashlee - this is about all popstars who lipsync thru their career and still reap the benefits and fame for it. We're sick of it. If it had been Britney or Beyonce up there on SNL, their cookies would have crumbled too.

Actually it's not funny that we only hear negative things now - that's how the media is. They play things to the hilt to dramatic effect. The media kicks people when they're down because it sells more papers.

As for what I would or wouldn't do in a Simpson-type scenario, I pray I would have presence of mind enough to know I wasn't good at something and wouldn't want to embarrass myself. I blame her father for the torture she's experiencing right now because he put her up to it.

HelloAngel said:
Well I dunno about you guys... but I'm not a halfbad singer and have loads of bad highschoolish poetry just begging to be heard by the unwitting masses....

:hyper:

HelloAngel said:
Oh wait. I don't have a famous sister or a horribly creepy ex-minister father willing to whore me out in the name of the holy DOLLAR!

Oh well.

awww....

You're way cuter than Ashlee, so I'd watch you on tv. :yes:

Back
Top Bottom