repetitive movie watching

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VertigoGal

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
I swear to god my dad has a problem. He watches the same movies over and over, and over because they're on TV. It was always Shawshank redemption (good movie of course), and Jerry McGuire back in the day. I'm talking several times a week, or however often they're played. In the past month Star Wars has been on HBO and I swear he's watched Empire Strikes Back half a dozen times. And today he's watched Remember the Titans on TV twice in a row. Just because it's been played back to back. I could go on and on.

Is there a medical diagnosis for this sort of thing?
Has anyone ever been the friend or loved one of a repetitive movie watcher?
I hope it's not genetic.

:banghead:

My Name is Ashley _____ and I watch movies two or three times in a row, just because they're on

I was going to say "It's a guy thing," but it looks like I'm wrong!

But that's one of the perks of having cable TV! Settling on a movie you've seen multiple times, because it's still at least mildly entertaining! :wink:

Utoo said:
I was going to say "It's a guy thing," but it looks like I'm wrong!

that's what I was gonna say. I won't watch them back to back in fact I'll almost never see a movie twice. I don't see the point :uhoh:

It depends what kind of movie it is.

I can watch really good comedies many times to catch gags or jokes I didn't catch the first time.

With dramas/action flicks/thrillers it's alot harder to watch again. Unless it's just an awesome movie. (i.e.: The Empire Strikes Back)

I watch movies over and over again, and my dad doesnt exactly do that, well....maybe sometimes. Its not obvious that he does, but for example, I've watched Charlie and the Chocolate Factory about 10 times, School of Rock 20, Back to the Future....quite a few....and I'm sure theres more. I think I have it worse than my parents :shrug: So I'm not thinking its a guy or father/daughter thing.

I can't watch the same movie back-to-back though, that just ruins it for me.

Watching movies in series is always fun though.

You gotta have a Back to the Future, Original Star Wars Trilogy, Frat Pack (Old School, Anchorman, 40 Year Old Virgin), or Batman movie marathon one day.

What I'm about to say is
15.gif

Last night I watched half of Return of the Jedi!! It was the first time EVER I had watched Star Wars!! It was pretty darn good :)

(I know, i know, you're all gonna kill me now)

I can watch 40 Year Old Virgin anytime it's on. It's like an old friend and guaranteed laughter. Man-o-lantern :lmao:

But I can't watch the same movie back to back, but I can watch a movie that I enjoy several times. And no, I don't buy DVDs ever. Our family just doesn't watch them. We do have concert DVDs, and that's about the extent of it. Well we do own a select few that were either very cheap, bought used, etc.

Last edited:
THAT'S THE MOVIE LILA! I couldn't remember

the first two months I was in school it was on HBO all the time, and I didn't have anything else to do, so I watched the 40-Year-Old Virgin like 15 times

And what can I say LMP? I really like that movie :D

I've seen The Pest about thirty million times.
Can't resist it... everytime it comes on TV I have to watch, glace across the room and see the case and then I have to watch it.
If it repeats.. I have to watch it.

I'm sure I have it memorized. :crack:

Last edited:
I've done it before. Only because TNT or something played a movie I really like back to back. But it's usually because I missed the first 20 minutes of the movie the first time, so I stick around for the second showing to watch the beginning, and then end up watching the whole thing again anyway. :wink:

BonosLil'Pal94 said:
What I'm about to say is
15.gif

Last night I watched half of Return of the Jedi!! It was the first time EVER I had watched Star Wars!! It was pretty darn good :)

Lila, you need to work on this. :tsk:

:wink:

elevated_u2_fan said:

I know, right? And she voted for Indy in your poll :grumpy:

Thats like being in the jury for a murder trial and voting but not being present for all of the trial... :tsk:

:lol:

I think there was some parental persuasion involved there....:tsk:

While I dont usually watch the same movie back to back, I will watch a movie again if it's one I like. Most of the time I will watch a movie rather than regular TV programs.

I hadn't seen any of the original Star Wars until about 3 years ago :reject:

usually if I watch something numerous times, it's on TBS when they show movies back to back. if I own the DVD, I don't normally watch things over and over, usually a lot of time in between

BonosLil'Pal94 said:
What I'm about to say is
15.gif

As long as you only watch these:

Episode IV: A New Hope
Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back
Episode VI: Return of the Jedi

in that order, you will love Star Wars. Stay away from the prequels unless they are fan edits.

Back
Top Bottom