Remembering Grunge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
BonoVoxSupastar said:
Yeah, I would remove 15, 16, and 17...

Maybe early Hole would work, but not Malibu, and Live I wouldn't consider post-grunge since they started right in the middle of grunge's hay day...

It's actually heyday.

That being said, agreed...Malibu is not "grunge" at all, though, I do like that song....and LIVE are faaaar from being a grunge band...if anything, they wanted to be a lot like U2. Does anyone else like the LIVE song "Stage"??? I love it.

Creep does follow the quiet verse/loud chorus Nirvana schematic, so I don't think it's wrong to throw it in there.

Pablo Honey isn't legit Radiohead anyway so who cares how it gets classified? I never liked Creep anyway, and I find RH's defiance in continuing to play it pretty lame. Give it up guys, you'll never rescue the song from the dubious beginning it had.

Throwing Copper remains awesome, but after that they seemed to lose their ability to write anything memorable. Or good, for that matter.

(Although to be fair, I like "Overcome" and "Turn My Head.")

Grunge was a great time for me. Pearl Jam are one of my favorite bands and I really got into them from early 1992 and on. I also dug Nirvana, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains and Smashing Pumpkins. The Singles Soundtrack is easily my favorite soundtrack of all time. I also owned a shitload of flannel shirts. They were just so damn comfortable and they kept you warm. A good night in a flannel meant that it smelled like pot, cigarettes and beer.

lazarus said:
Creep does follow the quiet verse/loud chorus Nirvana schematic, so I don't think it's wrong to throw it in there.

Good point. I actually think they were heavily influeneced by Nirvana early on...then they left for another universe entirely thier own. Pretty amazing.

corianderstem said:
Throwing Copper remains awesome, but after that they seemed to lose their ability to write anything memorable. Or good, for that matter.

:up:

I remember buying Secret Samadhi and thinking it was just ok. You're right about the lack of truly good material...it really seemed overly constructed after Throwing Copper, almost to a fault. Which is sadly ironic, because that album was the antithesis of any kind of calculated style. I also thought that Ed appeared to be very much caught up with his image after that point.

lazarus said:

Ah, but Nirvana borrowed that schematic from the Pixies, so maybe the song is Pixie-ish rather than grunge? :wink:

(I know the Pixies probabaly borrowed it from someone else too, and rock and roll is built on borrowing, but I just wanted an excuse to mention the Pixies.)

Nirvana were hardly original....

I enjoy Merica from Secret Samadhi...not for the lyrics/message, which others can do better in their sleep, just like the song itself. I'd say flow, but don't want to get attacked.

I only know Live's more well-known songs, but I like a lot of them. Wasn't too keen on "Heaven" when it came out, 'cause it got played a bit too much on the radio, but "I Alone", "Lightning Crashes", "The Dolphin's Cry", stuff like that...I like very much :yes:.

I wouldn't consider "Creep" grunge, really, no (and I like that song, too. Even with my limited knowledge of Radiohead, I know it's nowhere near being their best song, but I still like it). Like others said, though, grunge may have been a bit of an influence on the song.

angelordevil said:
Dunna nunna nunnna YEAH! OH, HEAVEN LET YOUR LIGHT SHINE DOWN!

They used to be a guilty pleasure of mine. Ed Roland is a very talented Pop music composer, that has to be said. The World I Know has only grown in relevance, which is a great measure of a good song.

Hehe...oh, man, just hearing you quote "Shine" is taking me back.

Guilty pleasure, eh? Ah, I'd say there's no shame in liking them, they had some really good songs. I liked "December" and "Run" in particular. "The World I Know" is good, too, though-love the music throughout, those strings are really pretty. I don't know if I ever fully paid attention to the lyrics of that song...will have to listen closer next time.

I remember the first time I saw a video by the band, though, I was really surprised that the band looked absolutely nothing like what I pictured. I always pictured these big, burly guys with long, scraggly hair and beards.

intedomine said:
Top band, with soem ripper tunes, who emerged around the same time as Dishwalla and Toad The West Sprocket

Two more mentions that take me back! Geez...I miss the '90s now :(.

Angela

Zootlesque said:
Couldn't keep it to CD length. :crazy:

Okay :wink: Sooooo I finally fit everything to CD length. :drool:

Smells Like Grunge Vol. I

1. Them Bones - Alice In Chains
2. Evenflow - Pearl Jam
3. The Day I Tried To Live - Soundgarden
4. Come As You Are - Nirvana
5. Vasoline - Stone Temple Pilots
6. Hunger Strike - Temple Of The Dog
7. Alive - Pearl Jam
8. What The Hell Have I? - Alice In Chains
9. Room A Thousand Years Wide - Soundgarden
10. Plush - Stone Temple Pilots
11. Violet - Hole
12. Dumb - Nirvana
13. Mayonaise - Smashing Pumpkins
14. No Excuses - Alice In Chains
15. Machinehead - Bush
16. Rearviewmirror - Pearl Jam
17. Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana
18. Like Suicide - Soundgarden

79:30

I like Pearl Jam, mildly enjoy Smashing Pumpkins, but can't really get into anything else (including Nirvana).

namkcuR said:
"Black" is the best song Pearl Jam has ever written.

Why don't you make a playlist! I'm curious as to what your picks will be. :wink:

I had somebody listen to my list and right off the bat, they didn't like Them Bones. I'm wondering if it's too heavy for getting somebody into this style of music. :hmm:

Zootlesque said:

Why don't you make a playlist! I'm curious as to what your picks will be. :wink:

I had somebody listen to my list and right off the bat, they didn't like Them Bones. I'm wondering if it's too heavy for getting somebody into this style of music. :hmm:

I've begun work on it :wink:

1.Come As You Are - Nirvana
2.Evenflow - Pearl Jam
3.Days Of The Week - Stone Temple Pilots
4.About A Girl - Nirvana
5.Rockin' In The Free World - Neil Young*
6.Jeremy - Pearl Jam
7.Heaven Beside You - Alice In Chains
8.Black Hole Sun - Soundgarden
9.Immortality - Pearl Jam
10.Oceans - Pearl Jam
11.Nutshell - Alice In Chains
12.Polly - Nirvana
13.Black - Pearl Jam
14.Angry Chair - Alice In Chains
15.Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana
16.Down In A Hole - Alice In Chains
17.Release - Pearl Jam

*I know RITFW came out a couple years before grunge exploded, but Pearl Jam played it a lot and I have heard Neil referred to as the 'godfather of grunge', so I felt it should count, and it's a kick ass song.

Neil Young totally fits on that list. Pearl Jam performed it with Neil Young on the MTV VMAs ... was it '95? That kicked MAJOR ass. I think that was the same year REM did "The Wake-Up Bomb" on the show, and that was awesome, too.

corianderstem said:
Neil Young totally fits on that list. Pearl Jam performed it with Neil Young on the MTV VMAs ... was it '95? That kicked MAJOR ass. I think that was the same year REM did "The Wake-Up Bomb" on the show, and that was awesome, too.

No, it was at the 93 VMAs after Pearl Jam did "Animal" they then joined Young on for RITFW. Also REM did Everybody Hurts/Drive at that show (I think) and of course Edge did a solo Numb.

the 93 VMAs were pretty kick ass in retrospect.

Last edited:
namkcuR said:

3.Days Of The Week - Stone Temple Pilots

:yikes: I could think of a lot more STP songs that would fit better in that list, and a lot better songs.

This was kind of their leaving grunge era, plus that song is just terrible.

songs off their first 2 albums would be better suited. although honestly by their second album they were already drifting from grunge, and hell, that was in 1994.

david said:
No, it was at the 93 VMAs after Pearl Jam did "Animal" they then joined Young on for RITFW. Also REM did Everybody Hurts/Drive at that show (I think) and of course Edge did a solo Numb.

Oh, that's right! Too bad about the Everybody Hurts ... but I love Drive. :wink:

My 90s post-grunge compilation...probably not that good, but, whatever, I like it :) This is volume 1 anyway. There's a bunch of stuff I sort of catagorize as post-grunge as well, but those songs don't fit with these.

1.Today - Smashing Pumpkins
2.Wonderwall - Oasis
3.Mr. Jones - Counting Crows
4.Desperately Wanting - Better Than Ezra
5.Learn To Fly - Foo Fighters
6.Undone(The Sweater Song) - Weezer
7.Shine - Collective Soul
8.If You Could Only See Me - Tonic
9.Everlong - Foo Fighters
10 Buddy Holly - Weezer
11.Bullet With Butterfly Wings - Smashing Pumpkins
12.Ana's Song(Open Fire) - Silverchair
13.The Dope Show - Marilyn Manson
14.Chemicals Between Us - Bush
15.Closer - Nine Inch Nails
16.Ava Adore - Smashing Pumpkins
17.Say It Ain't So - Weezer
18.Don't Speak - No Doubt
19.Tonight, Tonight - Smashing Pumpkins
20.Champagine Supernova - Oasis
21.Glycerine - Bush
22.Hurt - Nine Inch Nails

If I knew more Rage Against The Machine, they might get a song or two in there too. :shrug:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom