Remembering Grunge - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-16-2007, 10:46 PM   #46
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:43 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by bonosgirl84

It's so true. Like several of the other people in this thread I can remember exactly where I was the first time I heard Nirvana. It sounds ridiculous but by the end of the song I was very aware of the feeling that something had changed. And it was good.
Weird, I was just having this conversation at dinner tonight...

To me it was PJ, I remember the exact moment I heard 'Alive', I thought, wow something is about to change... And I had this friend who was always ahead of the crowd when it came to music, so the next day I went to school and asked him what he thought about PJ and to my excitement I actually knew of a band before this guy. Now he comes to me and asks about music...

Old 11-17-2007, 01:00 AM   #47
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 12:43 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Snowlock

Gin Blossoms were during Grunge and despite a reunion last year, they hadn't put out an album since about 1994 and their big album and breakthrough was in 1992.

Goo Goo Dolls is commercially derivite recycled pre-packaged corporate driven marketing sell-out garbage. They're rock and roll's Pussy Cat Dolls. If you want to hear why they disgust me soooooo much, listen to their Superstar Carwash album, then listen to Let Love In. The difference is appalling.

I've haven't heard Live on the radio since 1994.

However, I'm not saying there aren't any good bands, I'm saying you just can't hear them on mainstream radio anymore and it's even rarer to see them at the of the mainstream singles charts.

Oh, and I do like Nickelback *because* they remind me of those old hair metal bands. I'd never go see them in concert or buy an album, but How You Remind Me & Photograph are good songs.

Grunge (and honest rock and roll on the radio) died the day Creed was born.

While Smashing Pumpkins were signed originally to Sub Pop, the original grunge label, they were far too arty to be grunge.

Plus, it's ironic to hate hair metal and love grunge because most of those bands, with the exception of Nirvana, started out as hair metal bands -> Soundgarden, Alice In Chains & Mother Love Bone (precursor to Pearl Jam). And even PJ were pretty hair metalish at least in look and marketing at the *very* beginning.

We need to do a Grunge survivor!

btw, great thread!
]

Not saying Gin Blossoms, Live and Goo are grunge, but they represent a post-grunge sound or attitude, if such exists.

And with Gin Blossoms' NME being released in 92, it was almost REM-tainted Grunge...maybe

Old 11-17-2007, 01:02 AM   #48
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by Snowlock

They were! Goo Goo Dolls used to tour with the 'Mats and Paul Westerberg wrote a song for them on the Superstar Carwash album - We Are The Normal. In a Spin magazine article in 1993 or so, Paul even went on to declare the Dolls would be the next Replacements... boy was he off.
We Are The Normal

Great song....
Old 11-17-2007, 01:03 AM   #49
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 06:43 AM
Yeah, they're all VH1 adult rock now, but I still really love "A Boy Named Goo." They knew their way around a pop hook, man. And did it well.
Old 11-17-2007, 01:58 AM   #50
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:43 AM
I've always felt that Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Alice In Chains, and Soundgarden constituted what I call the 'Big 4' of grunge music(Yes, I know, Nirvana was more punk-based while the other three were more metal-based). I really feel that those four bands made a good 75%(at least) of what we today call good grunge music. And damn were they good.

I am listening to Nevermind right now, and I was listening to some of PJ's 'Ten' earlier today, and man, these records still sound fresh, after all these years.

Rock music today really needs a few bands to come out and do what these bands did for it back in 1991/92/93/94. Rock music needs that rejuvination, that reinvigoration, that new life breathed into it right now. Because I turn to rock radio stations now and hear Linkin Park or insipid unoriginal uninteresting crap like 'Daughtery' and I think, 'It's over. Rock music is dead.'

There are great bands like Radiohead and Arcade Fire and whatever, but there just aren't many really great ROCK bands out there right now.

I thought Audioslave could fill that void for a while, but they seem to have fizzled out.
Old 11-17-2007, 04:24 AM   #51
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
I'm sure there are many great rock bands running around out there right now. We're just not hearing a lot of them because radio isn't playing them for some reason (afraid to be adventurous or whatever).

Heard these guys a little while ago and was wondering...where would Collective Soul fit into all this? I don't think they're really "grunge", per se, but I remember hearing them an awful lot alongside some of these other bands on the radio.

I was either 6 or 7 years old when grunge hit, so I don't really have as vivid a memory of when it first started as some others here do (and I was moreso listening to a lot of my parents' music and various '80s tapes at that time). I just remember hearing a lot of these bands on the radio whenever my family would be going somewhere.

Angela
Old 11-17-2007, 04:53 AM   #52
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 03:43 PM
Oh, and don't forget Mudhoney! That was a fantastic grunge band.

"Every Good Boy Deserves Fudge" is one of my favorite records.
Old 11-17-2007, 05:25 AM   #53
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by Moonlit_Angel

Heard these guys a little while ago and was wondering...where would Collective Soul fit into all this? I don't think they're really "grunge", per se, but I remember hearing them an awful lot alongside some of these other bands on the radio.

I
Top band, with soem ripper tunes, who emerged around the same time as Dishwalla and Toad The West Sprocket
Old 11-17-2007, 09:53 AM   #54
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:43 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by namkcuR
There are great bands like Radiohead and Arcade Fire and whatever, but there just aren't many really great ROCK bands out there right now.

I thought Audioslave could fill that void for a while, but they seem to have fizzled out.
Foo Fighters is one of the few post grunge bands still around. But I've kinda lost interest in them.

Collective Soul is I guess post grunge too. But they turned to more conventional pop/rock later, didn't they? I do like stuff from their first 2 albums... Shine, The World I Know, December, Gel.
Old 11-17-2007, 11:50 AM   #55
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 11:13 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Zootlesque
Collective Soul is I guess post grunge too. But they turned to more conventional pop/rock later, didn't they? I do like stuff from their first 2 albums... Shine, The World I Know, December, Gel.
Dunna nunna nunnna YEAH! OH, HEAVEN LET YOUR LIGHT SHINE DOWN!

They used to be a guilty pleasure of mine. Ed Roland is a very talented Pop music composer, that has to be said. The World I Know has only grown in relevance, which is a great measure of a good song.

Quote:
Originally posted by namkcuR
Rock music today really needs a few bands to come out and do what these bands did for it back in 1991/92/93/94. Rock music needs that rejuvenation, that reinvigoration, that new life breathed into it right now.

Couldn't agree more. I'm not sure what form it'll take, but we need it. The old rock guys are still holding court, which is completely fascinating, but old guys die, and we need that special something to take flight when they leave. Pearl Jam will be around for a while. Radiohead, maybe. Going back even farther, it's interesting how people like Neil Young, Bruce Springsteen, and Roger Waters often have much more to say than modern acts.
Old 11-17-2007, 02:01 PM   #56
Blue Crack Supplier

grunge?
Old 11-18-2007, 10:57 AM   #57
Blue Crack Supplier

Smells Like Grunge Vol. I

1. Them Bones - Alice In Chains
2. Evenflow - Pearl Jam
3. The Day I Tried To Live - Soundgarden
4. Come As You Are - Nirvana
5. Vasoline - Stone Temple Pilots
6. Hummer - Smashing Pumpkins
7. Hunger Strike - Temple Of The Dog
8. Alive - Pearl Jam
9. What The Hell Have I? - Alice In Chains
10. Room A Thousand Years Wide - Soundgarden
11. Plush - Stone Temple Pilots
12. Mayonaise - Smashing Pumpkins
13. No Excuses - Alice In Chains
14. Machinehead - Bush
15. The World I Know - Collective Soul
16. Malibu - Hole
17. Selling The Drama - Live
18. Rearviewmirror - Pearl Jam
19. Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana
20. Like Suicide - Soundgarden

Playlist duration: 92:02

Couldn't keep it to CD length. Maybe if I'd removed some questionably grunge material like Collective Soul or Live, I could have fit everything in. But I think the post grunge is part of the whole story.
Old 11-18-2007, 02:28 PM   #58
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Yeah, I would remove 15, 16, and 17...

Maybe early Hole would work, but not Malibu, and Live I wouldn't consider post-grunge since they started right in the middle of grunge's hay day...
Old 11-18-2007, 02:33 PM   #59
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Would Radiohead's "Creep" count as a grunge song in the grand scheme of things?

I don't know enough about the grunge scene to say for sure, but I do know that the "middle of the road mid-'90s toad the wet bullshit"-era music that came out after could kill a unicorn. Like any good or great era of rock music, it was horribly mutilated by the corporate machine.
Old 11-18-2007, 02:34 PM   #60
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
Yeah, I would remove 15, 16, and 17...

Maybe early Hole would work, but not Malibu, and Live I wouldn't consider post-grunge since they started right in the middle of grunge's hay day...
Yeah... in hindsight I think I agree. Well, Hole is listed as grunge on allmusic but something like Violet is a lot more grungy than Malibu. I just love that song Malibu though. And true, Live is not really grunge or even post grunge but more alternative rock.

I'm sure Radiohead's Creep was heavily influenced by grunge. But I don't know if it IS grunge.