Remember the 80's?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Live Aid, Bono, I remember standing in my living room and just dropping to the floor on my knees over their performance. My mother was oh pleeeeezw give me a break he looks like a girl!!!!

the only thing she says now is oh pleeeeeze! lol

I remember when people "tight rolled" their pants (I know I tried to), slap bracelets, those t-shirt holder things you'd put at the bottom of your shirt and it would cinch up the corner, Hammer pants, having a Madonna poster, being obsessed with Bon Jovi...I really can keep going...

Bono's American Wife said:

:lol:

I thought I had a chance with Michael Jackson back then :shrug: :reject:

I remember when my best friends parents called him a freak, we thought they just didn't get it.

They were right :angry:

and yes Carlos my legs have been blue before :yes:

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:

Anyone remember Fashion Plates?

Wow - totally forgot about that! I used to play with that all the time!

Also remember:
Atari
Friday night videos
ET
Valley girl outfits -- LOL
The "new wave" look

I loved Duran Duran... Many posters of Nick Rhodes and Simon LeBon... I was 11, what did I know... until I saw Live Aid, that is and was like, WOW, who is this??!

Posters of Michael J. Fox!

No one asking me to slow dance to WOWY at our 7th grade dance... :sad:

Those were the days!

This is hilarious, i love remebering all of it.
Funny thing is i NEVER fell to any trend or fashion statement...
no big shoulders, no leggings, no jelly's, i NEVER tried to look like Madonna (yuk) or anyone of that era.
In 81'-82', my grandparents had an Atari game box.
Frogger and pong...hell yea.
Had a Rubiks Cube...
In 83', i did have a Duran Duran poster, but i also had a six foot poster of Led Zeppelin on my wall.
In 84', i became a mom.

Everything was a blur after that.

:wink:

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
Anyone remember Fashion Plates? [/B]

Whoa! I forgot about that too. I used to love mine. I wonder if I still have it somewhere.

I used to have a swatch that was cherry scented or something...

Friday Night Videos -- I remember staying up to watch it to see if they would play a Duran video, instead I saw the video for Pride .... and being vaguely interested, but wanting more to see Duran! :ohmy:

NASCAR still looked cool in the 80s

1986chevymontecarlonascjm0.jpg

bonosgirl84 said:

i lived in my skates.

i even had a little rollerskate necklace with spinning wheels.

Me too. When I didn't have them on, I felt like I couldn't move right, like I was plodding along in slow motion. I could do tricks and spin around. You can't do that in rollerblades.

BTTF is a timeless classic! I still watch it.

I remember how cool it was when it first came out. I had to go buy the lame soundtrack with Huey Lewis.

Does anybody remember when it first became hard to find vinyl records? I think it was 1988 they got real scarce. Everything was going to CD but I didn't have a player yet. I looked all over for vinyl, but the stores told me the record companies weren't putting much on it anymore, they wanted it to go the way of the 8 track (and make everyone have to replace their entire collection with CDs!) Contrary to what the industry said, that it was customer demand that made them change over, the store owners said there was heavy customer demand for vinyl, but they couldn't get it!

Oh, and the switchover from Beta to VHS, same thing. First you couldn't rent anything on Beta, then it got harder to find tapes or the machine so by 1988 you had to give up and get a VHS.

My first was a Beta, back in 1983. It was so cool to be able to tape things and watch them back. Kids who grew up with them can't possibly understand what it was like not to be able to tape stuff, or just pick the movie you wanted and watch it at any time. I didn't grow up being able to do that, and it was awesome when it came along.

I really wish I was a Child of the '80s.

But no, I had the shitty late '90s and early '00s.

cruzila said:
I remember wallpapering my bedroom with Heavy Metal band posters......

Wallpapering my room with anything U2, and leaving a small spot for my Born in the USA Bruce Butt poster!

Doing my entire project at an FIT class using U2 on the cover of Spin..87.

I loved the 80's! I miss going to the rollerskating rink near me and playing video games and skating for a few hours. Every weekend during the bad weather months when I was between the ages of 9-12, our parents would drop off my friends and I at the rink. (Imagine doing that today. Now you gotta hang out with the little shits. LOL!) Anyway, it was like 1981-1985 and Duran Duran, Prince, Madonna, Micheal Jackson, Billy Joel and all of that other pop stuff played constantly. All of my friends used to go there, so it was awesome. We had a blast! Plus, I NEVER wore parachute pants! Sadly, where I live now, there's no rollerrinks around anymore.

Back
Top Bottom