Remedies for a cold

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sami0201

Blue Crack Addict
I had no idea where to put this so if it's the wrong forum mods, please move!
I know there's really nothing you can do unless your cold turns into a sinus infection but just wondering what you all do to cope? :lol: I can't deal with not being able to breathe, and decongestants don't work for me. :scream: I've heard of weird things that people do to get it to clear up, maybe one of them will work.

Go into the bathroom, shut the door, turn the shower on to hot, and just sit in there. The heat and steam helps clear you up. It usually works for me. :up:

Feel better! :hug:

daygloeyes2 said:
Go into the bathroom, shut the door, turn the shower on to hot, and just sit in there. The heat and steam helps clear you up. It usually works for me. :up:

Feel better! :hug:

Hi! :hug:

I do that and it feels so good when I'm in there, but the second I walk out I feel terrible again. :| I'm just a bundle of joy tonight. :happy: :wink:

I get the decongestants from the pharmacist. You can't get any of the good stuff off the shelves any more, b/c people make meth out of it. The stuff I get has decongestant and acetaminophen for sinus pain/headache. I get a day one and a night one (has some antihistamine that puts me right to sleep). These allow me to breathe and help with the headaches and jaw pain. Sometimes if I run hot water over my forehead for a long time, it helps loosen things up. Also, I've noticed that laying in a reclined position, rather than flat, makes the headache not as bad b/c your head is above your heart.

Liesje said:
Also, I've noticed that laying in a reclined position, rather than flat, makes the headache not as bad b/c your head is above your heart.

:hmm: That's pretty interesting.

I swear by this:

cold_fx_200mg.jpg

It's a special extract of ginseng that was developed here in Canada. I'm pretty sure it's made its way to the US by now. It's actually endorsed by many NHL hockey teams...they've found that the players really rebound quickly from flu-like symptoms after taking it.

Liesje said:
You can't get any of the good stuff off the shelves any more, b/c people make meth out of it.

ADDICT!!! :giggle:

Try some Echinacea, it rocks my world. I also eat lemons. I don't know why, it is probably more of a mental thing if anything. But lemons are my magic fruit, and always make me happy.

Also, fill up a pitcher with water, and make sure you drink it all!!! Keeping yourself hydrated was one of the cheapest remedies told to me by a dr.

Hope you feel better sami! :hug:

I can't use decongestants because they make my heart race, so I use those breathe right strips. I'm really amazed at how much they do help. I also use a saline spray -- it's not medicated, but it does seem to help a bit. And I find having my head and sometimes even shoulders elevated when I sleep helps too.

Hope you feel better soon.

What are your symptoms and how long have you had this cold? Zinc is the only thing proven to reduce the duration of a cold. Zicam, Cold-Eeze, Airborne has it, and others. If you have had the symptoms for 24 hour or less it works the best. It has been shown to reduce the seveity and lenth of a cold. It works by boosting the immune system and by blocking bacteria and viruses from entering into the nasal mucosa and in the throat.

If you have had this cold for a while now and you tell me your symptoms and any diseases (eg. hypertension, diabetes) you may have, I can recomend some things for you to use. Also let me know of any medications you are on because a lot of over the counter drugs interact with Rx medications. If you are concerned about privacy you can email me at drvertigo@hotmail.com

Screwtape2 said:
Eat some Ramen noodles or some Asian noodle bowl from the grocery store. Trust me. :wink:

:drool: That was my dinner tonight...and I don't even go to college yet. :slant:

I had no idea gatorade was good for the cold/flu...interesting. :eyebrow:

LemonMelon said:

:drool: That was my dinner tonight...and I don't even go to college yet. :slant:

I had no idea gatorade was good for the cold/flu...interesting. :eyebrow:

Gatorade is really good for dehydration. Puts back the electrolytes you may loose. Works the best for the poops:huh:

I've had cold symptoms for a few days but nothing terrible. Monday was the first bad day, I just feel like crap. I'm very prone to sinus infections (actually just had one in mid-December) but I don't think this is one because it's not quite as bad and I haven't had a fever. I just have stuffy/runny nose and headaches mainly. Can't really breathe out of my nose so my throat gets all dry and hurts when I swallow. It's basically just a bad cold. I can't even stay home from school because we are only allowed 7 absences this semester. :huh:

Thanks everyone for your advice! :up:

For a mild/moderate cold, Zicam does wonders in reducing the severity of it :yes:. I swear it has helped me prevent 2 or 3 colds in the past year. That is until this week . . . :grumpy:.

I've had a bad cold for the past two days and the only things that help are Nyquil/Dayquil and Afrin.

I would stay away from Zicam. Several people claim to have lost their sense of smell after using it, and there are even class action lawsuits on it.

Is Zicam the spray? I know tons of people who get addicted to that stuff.

The year I had a flu shot, I never got a sinus infection. Usually, I get one or two a year, they typically last 4 weeks to 2 months. I didn't get a flu shot this past fall and have been getting lots of minor colds all winter, so my major sinus infection is just 'round the corner, I feel.... :grumpy:

The questionable Zicam is the zinc cold remedy spray.

January 23, 2006: A corporation that was the subject of a 7NEWS investigation has agreed to settle a massive lawsuit.

Matrixx Corp. makes the cold remedy Zicam. In 2004, 7NEWS Investigators revealed that some people who used Zicam's zinc nasal spray lost their sense of smell and taste.

On Friday, Matrixx agreed to pay $12 million in settlement awards and other charges to the 300 people who were part of a class-action lawsuit. Matrixx said that will cover about 90 percent of the outstanding claims.

http://www.zicamsideeffects.com/claim/zicam-suit.html

Back
Top Bottom