REM 'Up' Appreciation... anyone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoots

Blue Crack Supplier
I was listening today to what is probably the most hated / ignored REM album, Up. Personally, I love it. Okay, so it is downbeat, lowkey and depressing... so are The Wall and OK Computer. Airportman doesn't do much for me but starting with the 'sarcastic swell' of Lotus thru' the purple haze of Suspicion, the drama of Hope and the gorgeousness of At My Most Beautiful, I can listen to every single song here and sing along to it. Walk Unafraid with it's amazing build-up is one of the best songs here. And of course there's Daysleeper. :love: Let's see. I'll be pleasantly surprised if this thread gets any positive replies. :wink:

i like up quite a bit. i don't get why it's a commonly hated/ignored album.

daysleeper, walk unafraid, at my most beautiful are some of my favorite rem songs.

Yeah, it's great. I don't know why everyone hates it. Monster and Around the Sun are way worse.

"You're In the Air" and "Diminished" also kick ass. "Why Not Smile" is very pretty too (and I actually prefer the album version to the acoustic B-side version).

Last edited:
I like Monster! That's the first one I purchased at the time of release, although I got into REM during Out Of Time (Losing My Religion, of course). Haven't listened to Reveal or the new one, except for the radio hits.

I bought this album in 1998.

It was the last REM album I bought.

When listening to it, I think I remember liking it, but I actually haven't listened to it in years -- like New Adventures in Hi-Fi, it elicits nothing more than a "meh" from me now. I'm much more an "Automatic" man.

Probably the last REM album I liked as a whole. It's not a classic, but it sure isn't bad.

Is it just me or these lyrics from Airportman are... :eyebrow:

he moves efficiently
beyond security :ohmy:
great opportunity awaits

:yikes:

I do like it a lot. I have very clear memories of listening to it for the first time and going into it not expecting much and being blown away. It's a different R.E.M. than with Bill but that's to be expected, right? That said, "Walk Unafraid" is still one of the most gorgeous songs I've ever heard. It works incredibly well as an album.

IWasBored said:
i like up quite a bit. i don't get why it's a commonly hated/ignored album.

daysleeper, walk unafraid, at my most beautiful are some of my favorite rem songs.

Oh my God! You're female??? I always thought you were a guy! :laugh:

(maybe because of your Green Day tirade)

Zootlesque said:

Oh my God! You're female??? I always thought you were a guy! :laugh:

(maybe because of your Green Day tirade)

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

you're not the first person to "meet" me online and think that. :shrug:

how, may i ask, did you just find this out? is there somewhere on this board where my gender is being discussed that i should be aware of?

Wait a minute, IWB is girl??!!!! I thought she was guy because she likes Ataris and Sum41!!!!!! :happy:

u2popmofo said:
Wait a minute, IWB is girl??!!!! I thought she was guy because she likes Ataris and Sum41!!!!!! :happy:

OMG U FORGOT MXPX!!!!!!11!!!!!!!!

bayernfc said:
No IWB, It's all about SiMpLe PLaN!!

and back to the topic, Up is definitely underrated.

LoLZ!!!!!!!!!!!11!!!!!!!!!! tHaT gOeS w/OuT saYiNg!!!!!!!11!!!!!!1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i luv benji!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 hes Ym fAv!@@!!!!!!

MumblingBono said:
Shame, when you remember this is the band that turned out the "Automatic" "Monster" "New Adventures" troika.

Yeah that was a great troika. If any REM album is under-rated it's New Adventures rather than Up, in my opinion.

I also love their first album, it has an atmosphere all of its own.

New Adventures is probably my favorite along with Lifes Rich Pageant, but I was pretty impressed with Up, especially considering Berry had just left. His spirit still seems with them at that point. There are some really standout tracks like Sad Professor, The Apologist, Lotus, Daysleeper, Walk Unafraid. There's also some good experimentation on Hope & Why Not Smile. Stipe's lyrics are still in top form here.

I don't think this is in the same category as the last two at all, which find them directionless and meandering. The songs are devoid of hooks, the lyrics totally subpar. These guys have lost their balls, and I doubt they'll be finding them anytime soon. I regret ever buying Reveal, and after listening to Around the Sun free courtesy of the band online a few times, I decided not to bother buying it.

It's over.

laz

Catman said:
Which album has "Leave" on it? I really like that song :)

That's New Adventures in Hi-Fi which IS really underrated. How many REM fans would discuss about say, Departure... or Binky The Doormat? :wink:

IWasBored said:

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

you're not the first person to "meet" me online and think that. :shrug:

how, may i ask, did you just find this out? is there somewhere on this board where my gender is being discussed that i should be aware of?

EVERYBODY'S talking about you! :sexywink: No... it was brought up in some thread in the Lemonade Stand when the Brazillian Fly was talking about how his gender is often confused cos he hangs out in Pleba a lot.

Anyway... for the one person who said that 'Up' is crap: Have you actually listened to the album or did you go by reviews and sales figures? Just curious. Because it has got some really gorgeous and really introspective (kinda like Automatic, only more) numbers. Give it a try.

I have liked REM almost as long as I've liked U2. Murmur, Document, Life's Rich Pageant, Green and Automatic for the People are all albums I love.

But, albums like New Adventures in Hi-Fi and Up are vastly underrated, at least, to me they are. I have to admit, though, that besides one song on Reveal, I've liked nothing since Up.

It's kind of a bummer, I want to like Reveal and Around the Sun, but simply do not.

Oh, well, they will still always occupy a special place in my musical pantheon.

It gives me that much more respect for U2 knowing that they haven't just given up and become boring old fogies.

Hell, even New Order's doing more exciting work than R.E.M. and they're at least 5 years older.

Back
Top Bottom