REM new album "Around the Sun" - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Old 10-07-2004, 04:57 PM   #16
The Fly
Local Time: 05:57 AM
I seriously don't understand the negative buzz They're talented musicians, the lyrics are awesome. Yeah they don't sound the same as when they did Automatic for the People. Maybe some people wish they did. But they've changed since then. Personally I think their music is just as powerful as ever.

Old 10-08-2004, 02:29 AM   #17
Local Time: 11:57 AM
Originally posted by Kieran McConville
I can't comment on the new one but I was sorely disappointed by Reveal (while remaining a lonely fan and admirer of UP).

I think UP it's thei best record. It's so intense...
Don't like reveal too much as well
Will surely get around the sun soon without great expectations. keeping releasing albuns every two years after twenty five years on the business makes it impossible to keep the music on its highest leve. However, even an uninspired album of rem must be able to be one of the albuns of the year.

Old 10-08-2004, 03:42 AM   #18
love, blood, life
Local Time: 08:27 AM
Originally posted by Lancemc
I got Around the Sun yesterday and love it. The Outsiders "the lame with Q-tip" is a fabulous track. Boy in the Well, The Ascent of Man, and Aftermath are my favorite on the album. It has such subtlety to it, that it DOES take many listens for eveything to appear to you. That being said, I acctualyl liked this album from the first time i heard it on the internet a couple weeks ago.

that is the most absurd rap cameo ever
it ruins everything

an aquaintance said it best:
"Imagine an aging, increasingly irrelevant Q-tip rapping over Suzanne Vega. Now listen to track 3 and make it reality."
Old 10-08-2004, 07:45 AM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 06:57 AM
Yeah, that Q-tip track is whack yo!
Old 10-08-2004, 11:30 AM   #20
New Yorker
Local Time: 10:57 AM
I like it, its certainly not one of my favourite REM albums but its got some good music. I think it will be more of a grower!

Leaving New York is beautiful Cant wait to see them in July.
Old 10-08-2004, 11:39 AM   #21
Local Time: 04:57 AM
I just saw them on Tuesday with Bruce. They were really good live and played a lot of rock songs. While I like ATS, it just is not as good as past work. And the concert just proved that they really should make some rock songs again.

I actually heard that they deliberately removed all rock songs from ATS as they did not fit the mood, but they expect to have a fairly quick follow-up album which will include them and be a rock album.
Old 10-08-2004, 01:48 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
remhq has a voice mail message from Michael on the website where he talks about the vote for change tour the other night. I love the way he sounds soooo excited and awestruck. Made me smile...
Old 10-19-2004, 06:05 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
I just got this. It is nice. Very pretty, and it's holding my attention better than "Reveal" did
Old 10-21-2004, 05:05 AM   #24
Local Time: 11:57 AM
got it a week ago. not brilliant, very enjoyable. not a musical revolution, neither i was expecting that. it's just a rem album, that makes it good. far better than reveal but not enough to reach up.
Old 10-21-2004, 06:51 AM   #25
Blue Crack Distributor
I've listened to this one quite a bit since getting it a week or so ago.
Old 10-21-2004, 07:05 AM   #26
I don't like it. I've tried, but I'm just not hearing it. And I even liked parts of <i>Reveal</i>. The songs are so uniform in tone and tempo that they're laregly indistinguishable. It seems to lack any kind of purpose for being.

I hate to say it, but it's just really dull. It's like a parody of what the naysayers have been saying about them since Berry left.
Old 10-21-2004, 09:28 AM   #27
Blue Crack Addict
Unfortunately I'm not inspired to get it although I am trying to score a ticket to the Denver show. But last night I rented the DVD Perfect Square and it was really great. I have to say, though, that the DVD version of one of my favorite R.E.M. songs, Begin the Begin could not hold a candle to the version they performed on the Vote to Change tour that was aired on Sundance. Something about Stipe's energy that night really got me (he seemed happy I guess). I really enjoyed the bonus film on the show in Stirling, too. Rent it if you haven't seen it.