REM and the infinite southern melancholy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Kitten

Blue Crack Addict
I have liked REM since I was in high school in the 80's. They are rock but they don't usually rock very hard. They have a lot of country in their sound, but they aren't hickey. I think it's an interesting topic to explore that the southern flavor comes out in their music, even though they are not what most people would call typical southerners, or the way most are stereotyped (which isn't fair!) It's there, it's in their blood, it's in the Georgia air and the red earth of Tara, the sadness in the wind, a haunting, almost melancholy feeling. They may have captured and bottled something like never before and never again. Am I rambling here or does anybody get my drift?

No offense to the south, I am from the south too and maybe that's why I see this and find it intriguing.

Last edited:
lmao at the red earth of Tara. my friend's in-laws farm is down the road from one of the members farm.

I am a southerner born and raised in the lovely state of Georgia and I like many like REM *its kinda hard to avoid them around here*. ;) i can't wait to see them this fall here!

oh and i like country music and i am not your "typical southerner".

Funny I see this topic-I heard "Losing My Religion" earlier this morning (excellent song).

I see what you're getting at with their sound, definitely. :yes:.

I like it when a certain group has it where there's a certain feel to their music-like, if you were in the specific area that kind of music seems as though it's from, it'd just make the songs sound better when you hear them.

Angela

Moonlit_Angel said:
Funny I see this topic-I heard "Losing My Religion" earlier this morning (excellent song).

I see what you're getting at with their sound, definitely. :yes:.

I like it when a certain group has it where there's a certain feel to their music-like, if you were in the specific area that kind of music seems as though it's from, it'd just make the songs sound better when you hear them.

Angela

Bono has said that about Ireland and Irish musicians too. Even though U2 may not be your 'typical' Irish band, Bono said that it's in their music, even JT, though it was basically an American west themed record. :)

I think it's a little in some of Tom Petty's work too (I know you're a fan of his, me too!) Just this morning I was listening to Southern accents. I like Rebels, 'with one foot in the grave, and one foot on the pedal, I was born a rebel!' I might make that my sig one day. Sadly for PC reasons he isn't able to play that song in concert anymore and it's not on the greatest hits. I have the Greatest hits too, and Damn the Torpedos, Long After Dark, Pack Up the Plantation Live (my sister's boyfriend was a DJ and he gave me the studio's copy!), Full Moon Fever and some singles. I love all of Full Moon Fever, it's one of the best albums ever I think! Oh what the... might as well start a Tom Petty thread sometime;)

Originally posted by MissVelvetDress_75

oh and i like country music and i am not your "typical southerner"

MVD, please don't get offended! When I put typical southerner, I meant what some other people have stereotyped us as, nothing I think! :no: I was raised with both rock and country and I like some country music too:) These days there is no 'typical southerner' or typical anything! The world is too big and closely linked now! Like all the states and countries represented here on this forum! :yes:

Oh and show us the road to that farm so we can all come stalk;)

Last edited:
I *love* REM. Being from Alabama I can definitely relate to the "Southernness" (OK, not a word, but what the hell:lol: ) in a band's sound. It's there. I'll be seeing them soon if I'm lucky.

anything you hear has some kind of influence on you, and if you're around enough of it (in this case i'm assuming that country music might be a bit unavoidable in the south, it's unavoidable even if you live in regions of the u.s. NOT known for breeding country bands), it's certainly going to come through in the music regardless of whether you're a rock band or playing jazz.

banjo on "i beleive" :up: and i'm not a huge banjo fan

U2Kitten said:

Bono has said that about Ireland and Irish musicians too. Even though U2 may not be your 'typical' Irish band, Bono said that it's in their music, even JT, though it was basically an American west themed record. :)

I think it's a little in some of Tom Petty's work too (I know you're a fan of his, me too!) Just this morning I was listening to Southern accents. I like Rebels, 'with one foot in the grave, and one foot on the pedal, I was born a rebel!' I might make that my sig one day. Sadly for PC reasons he isn't able to play that song in concert anymore and it's not on the greatest hits. I have the Greatest hits too, and Damn the Torpedos, Long After Dark, Pack Up the Plantation Live (my sister's boyfriend was a DJ and he gave me the studio's copy!), Full Moon Fever and some singles. I love all of Full Moon Fever, it's one of the best albums ever I think! Oh what the... might as well start a Tom Petty thread sometime;)

MVD, please don't get offended! When I put typical southerner, I meant what some other people have stereotyped us as, nothing I think! :no: I was raised with both rock and country and I like some country music too:) These days there is no 'typical southerner' or typical anything! The world is too big and closely linked now! Like all the states and countries represented here on this forum! :yes:

Oh and show us the road to that farm so we can all come stalk;)

;) i wasn't offended. trust me. lol i always joke around with my friends that i am not a typical southerner however they tell me i am. don't worry i honestly was not offended. :)

yertle-the-turtle said:
I believe in coyotes and time as an abstract

it's impossible to get out of your head

it really is. thanks, yertle :angry: ;)

oddly enough, it's blending nicely with ash--walking barefoot...

it's all in my head...it's all in my head...

Driver 8 is a perfect example of what I mean by this, and Don't go back to Rockville.

I've heard "Driver 8" on the New Wave channel a few times this week.

U2Kitten said:

:yes:.

I can particularly hear the feel in the song "Tomorrow", with the music in the background...totally puts a picture of the hills of Ireland in my head.

And I remember when my family was going down to Missouri earlier this year, while we were still in Iowa, I listened to "Heartland"...that is a perfect song for my area. It totally set the mood and made the song sound even better when I heard it.

Originally posted by U2Kitten
I think it's a little in some of Tom Petty's work too (I know you're a fan of his, me too!) Just this morning I was listening to Southern accents. I like Rebels, 'with one foot in the grave, and one foot on the pedal, I was born a rebel!' I might make that my sig one day.

Southern Accents is an awesome album.

And yes, that southern feel is definitely in his music...I could be down in the southeastern U.S. and listening to his music out on a porch some evening or something...and it'd be perfect.

Sadly for PC reasons he isn't able to play that song in concert anymore and it's not on the greatest hits.

I didn't know he couldn't play it for PC reasons. Huh.

It's not on their greatest hits album, no, but it is on their anthology.

I have the Greatest hits too, and Damn the Torpedos, Long After Dark, Pack Up the Plantation Live (my sister's boyfriend was a DJ and he gave me the studio's copy!), Full Moon Fever and some singles. I love all of Full Moon Fever, it's one of the best albums ever I think! Oh what the... might as well start a Tom Petty thread sometime;)

I have the greatest hits, too, and Damn The Torpedoes, their anthology, The Last DJ (one of my personal favorite albums of theirs), Echo, Wildflowers (I love that album), and Full Moon Fever. I would have more, but my town, again, is pathetic, and all they've sold as far as Tom Petty goes the last few times I've been in their stores was the greatest hits, the anthology, and The Last DJ.

My town is pathetic in that area.

Full Moon Fever is definitely awesome, yes. Lots of great songs on there-"Free Fallin'" (which, every time I mention Tom Petty to people, is always the first song they mention-they always say, "Oh, I love "Free Fallin'"! And I remember, last year, at a dance, they played that song-everyone at the dance started singing along. It was pretty cool.), "Face In The Crowd" (one of my favorites), "Zombie Zoo" (get such a kick out of that one)...etc., etc. And Tom does a really good version of "Feel A Whole Lot Better"-I really like his version of that song. You can definitely tell the Byrds influence.

A Tom Petty thread would be an excellent idea. :up:.

Angela

Back
Top Bottom