Regulations?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IWasBored

Blue Crack Supplier
i think it's CBS who keeps saying that they're broadcasting yankees games, but turn on the tv and there's a screen that says due to some sort of regulations the cable company cannot broadcast this game. every game, only yankees baseball. i don't care about the yankees, so i don't really care that my tv won't play the games, but what's the deal? it's all about money, isn't it...

the yankees have a deal with the Yes Network... obviously... Yes is owned by George Steinbrenner. Games on regular tv... i.e. cbs, nbc, espn, tnt, etc. are "blacked out" when the cable company that has the rights to the game is available in that market. so it's a broadcasting rights issue. which comes down to advertising... which comes down to money... so baisicly you're right, but it's nothing new. they've been doing that for years.

I think certain areas have blackouts and if you're not within the "Yankee Broadcast" zone, you probably won't receive the game. This is either because you're watching a New York station, or because you're watching a network and your particular affiliate does not have league approval to show it in your area.

That's how most sport broadcasting works to my knowledge.

Back
Top Bottom