Red Sox... Yankees... Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
StlElevation said:
patriots and red sox like u2.

nobody gets why we go from tres to catorce in vertigo.

sox/yanks will explain it.

game 3 at fenway park in this series will last 14 innings.

:up:

Headache in a Suitcase said:
and curt schilling wears a brace... and he's pitching game 6

Only because the pegleg hasn't arrived yet.

ya know... this is typical red sox M.O.

go down early, get the fans hopes up with a late run only to be crushed in the end. this is actually more enjoyable for me than a sweep :wink:

In the immortal words of Dick Cheney...

OK, now that was an unbelievable game to attend...I was at game 5 of the 86 World Series when Bruce Hurst pitched the Sox to a 3-2 lead (Close your piehole about the next game Headache) and game 3 of the ALCS in '99 when Pedro and the Sox dominated Clemens and the Yanks 13-1, neither comes close to the drama and tension in this game...each team had at least 6 shots at winning, some unbeleivable bullpen work by both teams, and a few points from the non-McCarver influenced perspective...
Was surprised Torre didn't use his bench at all, Like HeadachePinstripe said, Lofton on the bases might have changed the outcome.
Ortiz threw Mientkewicz under the bus on his steal for not swinging in his post game press conference, he didn't say if it was a hit and run (is Wade Boggs back?), but said something like, "I would have made it easy if we swing the bat"
He also called out the rest of the team to step up cause he won't be able to win every game himself (didn't name names, but you can insert Damon and Manny), at any rate Ortiz will end up a folk hero in this town if the Sox somehow pull out this series.
Could you hear the "Who's your dealer" chant on TV every time Sheffroid got up?
Speaking of Sheffnarc(I'd love to see Bonds get his tattling ass in a dark alley)...horrible right fielding, badly misjudged Mientkewicz's double, and should have caught Mueller's popup that Cairo just missed, you could see Cairo yelling at him after the play.
Lost in the length of the game were the starters' performances. After a rough 1st, Mussina was brilliant, and Pedro was battling from the 2nd inning on, but reached down for just enough until Jeter's hit, which was on a pitcher's pitch, and yes his pitch count was at the level he should have been lifted (Grady?) or Tito at least needed to have someone warming up, he dodged the Grady bullet there when the Sox came back.
Everyone in the stands was screaming for Mirabelli, Sox dodged a bullet with Varitek catching Bill Wakefield.
If the Sox can rough up Lieber and Schilling's ankle holds up, a game 7 would be interesting, I'm guessing the Yanks would have to start Javier Vazquez, I doubt they'd start Harvey Wallbanger on 3 days rest and Loaiza is now spent (He pitched great however), Sox I assume would go with either Bill Wakefield or Brandon Arroyo, who removed himself from the Calvin Schiraldi Deer in the Headlights hall of infamy with a brilliant 10th inning.
It would be all hands on, likely a 13-11 type game and it would be the highest TV rated baseball game in history...but first there is a game to play tonight...we'll see.

Last edited:
That must have been amazing to be at that game. I couldn't even watch it, had to keep turning it off. Unless I need glasses, Ortiz was safe @ that steal. Johnny should practice bunting in between hair appointments.

Who's your dealer :lol: I love it

God we are such masochists...

Hewson said:
OK, now that was an unbelievable game to attend...I was at game 5 of the 86 World Series when Bruce Hurst pitched the Sox to a 3-2 lead (Close your piehole about the next game Headache):evil: and game 3 of the ALCS in '99 when Pedro and the Sox dominated Clemens and the Yanks 13-1, neither comes close to the drama and tension in this game...each team had at least 6 shots at winning, some unbeleivable bullpen work by both teams, and a few points from the non-McCarver influenced perspective...
Was surprised Torre didn't use his bench at all, Like HeadachePinstripe said, Lofton on the bases might have changed the outcome.
Ortiz threw Mientkewicz under the bus on his steal for not swinging in his post game press conference, he didn't say if it was a hit and run (is Wade Boggs back?), but said something like, "I would have made it easy if we swing the bat"
He also called out the rest of the team to step up cause he won't be able to win every game himself (didn't name names, but you can insert Damon and Manny), at any rate Ortiz will end up a folk hero in this town if the Sox somehow pull out this series.
Could you hear the "Who's your dealer" chant on TV every time Sheffroid got up?
Speaking of Sheffnarc(I'd love to see Bonds get his tattling ass in a dark alley)...horrible right fielding, badly misjudged Mientkewicz's double, and should have caught Mueller's popup that Cairo just missed, you could see Cairo yelling at him after the play.
Lost in the length of the game were the starters' performances. After a rough 1st, Mussina was brilliant, and Pedro was battling from the 2nd inning on, but reached down for just enough until Jeter's hit, which was on a pitcher's pitch, and yes his pitch count was at the level he should have been lifted (Grady?) or Tito at least needed to have someone warming up, he dodged the Grady bullet there when the Sox came back.
Everyone in the stands was screaming for Mirabelli, Sox dodged a bullet with Varitek catching Bill Wakefield.
If the Sox can rough up Lieber and Schilling's ankle holds up, a game 7 would be interesting, I'm guessing the Yanks would have to start Javier Vazquez, I doubt they'd start Harvey Wallbanger on 3 days rest and Loaiza is now spent (He pitched great however), Sox I assume would go with either Bill Wakefield or Brandon Arroyo, who removed himself from the Calvin Schiraldi Deer in the Headlights hall of infamy with a brilliant 10th inning.
It would be all hands on, likely a 13-11 type game and it would be the highest TV rated baseball game in history...but first there is a game to play tonight...we'll see.

i actually agree with just about everything ya said here... which is strange, i know :wink:

it would be fitting... if the red sox were to ever win a world series, that they'd do so by having the greatest collapse in post season history by the yankees instead of by them, for once. but i'm not putting my money on it... 'cause frankly the sox only have one starter left for two games... schilling... and he has a torn tendon in his ankle. i don't know how they're gonna do it, but hey... that's why they play the games

the 19 run game by the yankees could've been the worst thing possiable for the yankees... ever since that game, they've been trying to knock every single pitch out of the ball park instead of just making contact.

Last edited:

it would be fitting... if the red sox were to ever win a world series, that they'd do so by having the greatest collapse in post season history by the yankees instead of by them, for once. but i'm not putting my money on it... 'cause frankly the sox only have one starter left for two games... schilling... and he has a torn tendon in his ankle. i don't know how they're gonna do it, but hey... that's why they play the games

If by some grace of God the Sox win Game 6, it'll be because Schilling actually gets through 6 innings or so, meaning that Arroyo would be okay to start Game 7. (Relatively speaking.) I put even odds on Game 7, maybe a slight edge to the Yankees because Mussina can probably come out of the 'pen, just as he did last year.

I'd say that there's about a 95% chance that Schilling gets rocked tonight or he dies on the mound or something, and a 5% chance he pitches the greatest game of his life.

the 19 run game by the yankees could've been the worst thing possiable for the yankees... ever since that game, they've been trying to knock every single pitch out of the ball park instead of just making contact.

Plus fatigue... guys like A-Rod and Sheffield were definitely trying to win the game in one swing.

And if you were Joe Torre and you could do it over, would you walk David Ortiz in the bottom of the 14th inning of a tie game with two men on and Doug Mientkiewicz on deck?

Last edited:
Clever addition of underlining Headache. :eyebrow:

Heard something alrming on the radio, speculation if Schilling can't go, or has to depart real early that the Sox would turn to Ramiro Mendoza:ohmy:

Hewson said:
Clever addition of underlining Headache. :eyebrow:

Heard something alrming on the radio, speculation if Schilling can't go, or has to depart real early that the Sox would turn to Ramiro Mendoza:ohmy:

God help us all.

speedracer said:

And if you were Joe Torre and you could do it over, would you walk David Ortiz in the bottom of the 14th inning of a tie game with two men on and Doug Mientkiewicz on deck?
No you don't walk him with runners on 1st and 2nd...you already have a force at any base, all you do is create the possibility of walking or wild pitching in the winning run. Sure Ortiz is a bigger threat than Mientkewicz, but you only walk him if first base is open.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom