Red Sox Prayer......And joke

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Okay, I'm really not appalled at the amount of Red Sox fans here...in fact, I spoke to one today.

I agree, Dreadsox...peace. Let's all get back to baseball here. This is the best League Championship Series I've seen for both leagues, and I don't want to miss a minute of it!

Diane
who hopes the Cubs win in front of their fans tomorrow

well I have to say thumbs up to the officials for stopping beer sales in the 4th inning at Fenway right after the fights took place. I think that was a very smart move of them.

[q]
Security Chief Aims to Keep Fenway Calm

By JIMMY GOLEN, AP Sports Writer

BOSTON - By the time Manny Ramirez made his menacing move toward Roger Clemens, Kevin Hallinan was already trying to control the fallout. The fight brewing on the field wasn't his concern ? it was how the fans would react.

Hallinan, major league baseball's security chief, met with Red Sox and law enforcement officials and they decided to cut off beer sales at Fenway Park right then, three innings early. Then, he walked from Canvas Alley ? the tarp storage area on the first-base side ? to the concourse to make sure the message had gotten out.

"We went directly to a beer stand and attempted to buy a beer. They said, 'Sorry, we're shut down,'" Hallinan recalled Monday as he prepared for the fourth game of the AL championship series. "We went from one (stand) to another and it was: 'No good,' 'Shut down,' 'Finished.' I'm going to say it took five or ten minutes, and it was done.

"If we pull the switch, we want to make sure that the switch works. It worked that day," he said. "Hopefully it will continue to work."

In the wake of Saturday night's bench-clearing brawl between the Yankees and Red Sox players, security officials are re-examining the plans they hope would keep a minor skirmish from escalating into an all-out riot.

Although deployment was already high because of the importance of the game and the nature of the rivalry, security will increase for the rest of the series.

Hallinan declined to give details of the plans, but he confirmed the area in and around the ballpark will be patrolled by the FBI, National Guard, baseball security officers and police on foot, motorcycle and horseback. On Sunday, police in riot gear took up positions in and around the ballpark before Game 4 was postponed by rain.

Also, Red Sox pitcher Tim Wakefield recorded a public service announcement that will be played on the scoreboard, asking fans to behave.

But much of what Hallinan does is less about being ready to respond to a crisis than avoiding one. Among the key concerns in this area are alcohol management and ticket discipline ? in other words, making sure a bunch of drunken college students don't storm the gates.

"The point is not to wait until the world is falling apart," Hallinan said. "We're not there to arrest people; we're there for fans to enjoy themselves.

"This is a baseball game between two of the best teams in our league, a great intercity rivalry between the Yankees and Red Sox that makes the sport what it is. It's a positive thing, not a negative thing."

Sometimes, though, things can go the other way. In 1999, Fenway fans hurled debris onto the field and delayed Game 4 of the ALCS against the Yankees for eight minutes in response to blown calls against the Red Sox. When the Red Sox earned the right to play the Yankees this year by beating Oakland in the first round, a minor fracas broke out around the ballpark.

That was a road game, but fans watching in Fenway bars spilled out onto the streets and flipped over a car, rocked moving taxis and threw beer bottles from rooftops of nearby buildings. Seven people were arrested and faced charges including disorderly conduct, trespassing and indecent exposure.

In response, the city banned parking around Fenway Park at night on game days ? home and away. Police also vowed to step up pursuit of underage drinkers, many of whom come from the numerous local colleges.

The measures are sure to make the players and fans feel safer. But as the Red Sox are quick to point out, none of that was the problem Saturday night, when the biggest brawl was between the two teams, with the fight between Yankees players and a Fenway employee in the bullpen a close second.

"Frankly, the behavior in the stands was quite exemplary," Red Sox president Larry Lucchino said. "Usually in these series and important games there are usually a couple of arrests in the ballpark. There were only two, I think, outside the ballpark, and very few ejections. ... The behavior of our fans is not something that is a pressing issue."

And Hallinan wants to keep it that way.

"You can't get distracted by what's happening on the field. You keep looking, 'Where is this going?'" he said. "What we've got to look at during the game is the ripple effect that fights on the field can have. That's my job. My job is not to get involved with the players on the field. We let the umpires take care of that."[/q]

Headache in a Suitcase said:
and may i remind boston fans of the ever classy chants of wife beater at celtic-net games...
But in what city's hockey arena (hint: U2 has a song about this city on ATYCLB) was the following chant regularly heard:
"Drive a Porsche Hextall, drive a Porsche (clap, clap)"

Now taunting Jason Kidd by reminding him that he is in fact a hypocritical felon may not be the classiest fan behavior, but its miles ahead of wishing a goalie would crash to a fiery death like his predecessor did.

argh i'm sick of this argument... baisicly because i did not mean it to be an argument over who has the classier fans. again... for the last time... for those who didn't figure it out the first 2 times... the point of that post was saying that there are classless numbskull asshole fans EVERYWHERE... everywhere including new york, boston, buffalo, philadelphia, washington d.c., pittsburgh, charlotte, jacksonville, st. louis, chicago, minneapolis, kansas city, houston, dallas, san antonio, baltimore, atlanta, columbus, cincinatti, cleveland, indianapolis, montreal, toronto, ottawa, detroit, south bend, ann arbor, green bay, tampa bay, gainsville, talahasse, vancouver, san diego, phoenix, las vegas, los angeles, san francisco, sacramento, portland, seattle, honolulu, beijing, dublin, kula lumpor, mecca, johanesburg, paris, moscow, baghdad, miami, new orleans, london, belfast and berlin... EVERYWHERE... i was not saying that new yorks fans were classier... we all have our assholes. argh

yesterday's game: fox intro played the ataris' boys of summer.
today: EBTTRT

time to be superstitious.

Welcome to the Terrordome
By Jim Caple
Page 2 columnist

I wore a Red Sox T-shirt in the Yankee Stadium bleachers and a Yankees T-shirt in the Fenway Park bleachers during the playoffs this past week. And having done so, an apology might be in order for all the Yankees fans I have gleefully insulted over the past few years.

Not that I actually WILL apologize, mind you. I'm just saying that an apology would be in order if I was a bigger man.

I wore the Boston shirt on the subway to Yankee Stadium for Game 2. And I wore it for an hour outside the stadium. And I wore it in the bleachers for three innings. And no one offered so much as a single unpleasant remark. Not one. In fact, one Yankee fan even held the door open for me at the McDonald's across from the stadium.

They were so damn pleasant about it that I don't think I was even in New York.

Sure, I got some cross looks. And I got some comments. But they were all in the "Hey, there's a Red Sox fan. Let's have some fun with him because we know we're going to win this series anyway'' variety. Red Sox fans may hate Yankees fans, but not vice-versa. It's like Bogie says in "Casablanca" when Peter Lorre asks whether he despises him. "I suppose I would if I gave you any thought whatsoever."

The only potentially ugly moment was when one fan in the bleachers looked at my shirt and shook his head. I told him he looked disgusted, and he came back at me and said, "What did you call me?"

"I said you look disgusted by my shirt."

"Oh," he said. "I thought you said I was disgusting. I was about to rip your friggin' head off."

In Boston, on the other hand, I received much more abuse, usually of the "Yankees suck!" variety, with some additional thoughts on homosexuality.

In contrast to Yankee Stadium, where there were many Red Sox fans, there were only a handful of Yankees shirts at Fenway. Which isn't to say there weren't Yankees fans. As one New York fan said while slapping me on the back, "I'm rooting for the Yankees, too. Only I'm smart enough not to wear a shirt advertising it here."

Perhaps, but there's a certain amount of pride and spirit involved for a fan to not only go into enemy territory but to do so brazenly. You have to admire someone who loves his team enough to endure abuse and risk bodily harm. Although you can definitely take this too far. Those two Red Sox fans who kept standing up and flipping off the rest of the Yankees fans were way out of line. Hey, boys, if you want someone to kick your asses, I'm sure there are some S&M clubs where they'll gladly do it for less money than a playoff ticket costs.

Naturally, there are other emotions involved when you don the shirt of a team you hate. I'm proud to say that I had never before worn any article of clothing with a Yankees logo on it, so pulling that New York shirt over my head was the most disagreeable thing I've ever had to do as a writer. It was even worse than when I had to buy a ticket to watch "Gigli" for a review.

(On the other hand, it was better than putting on one of those ridiculous "Cowboy Up" shirts. Are you tired of that expression yet, or what? What's next? Belt buckles the size of the plate in Don Zimmer's head? C'mon, Boston. You're the home of Harvard and MIT, of Longfellow, Thoreau and Sargent, you're the intellectual center of the country, the Athens of America. Enough with the cowboy hats and bandanas. You look like a bunch of little kids waiting for their ice cream and cake at a birthday party.)

Anyway, when another incognito Yankee fan gave me the thumbs up for my attire, I quickly asked where HIS shirt was.

"Same place yours is going to be in a minute," said a fan glowering at me from the sidewalk. He wore a T-shirt that featured a Calvin and Hobbes character urinating on the Yankees logo.

"What do you mean by that?" I replied.

The fan glared some more and mumbled something under his breath. If I was so inclined (i.e. drunk and stupid), this minor incident easily could have escalated into a fight. But it didn't. I was sober and I can't take any insult seriously from a man who would wear a T-shirt of a person urinating in public.

(Not to go all Tipper Gore on you, but I'll never understand what possesses some people to wear shirts that read, "Yankees Suck" or "Nomar Swallows" or "You can take your 26 rings and shove them up your ---" or something even worse in public. I'm not saying these shirts should be banned at stadiums; but good God, have some sense of personal decorum, will you?)

Game 3, of course, was as wild a game as I've ever seen; and before the day was over, 72-year-old bench coach Don Zimmer had left the park in an ambulance and the police were considering whether to arrest Jeff Nelson for fighting a groundskeeper in the bullpen. But wandering around in the bleachers with my Yankees shirt in the seventh inning (I didn't wear it the first six innings while I sat in the auxiliary press box), I didn't receive much abuse. People were too much into the game to pay much attention to an idiot in a Yankees shirt. The Red Sox said only one person was arrested at the game, substantially under the norm for a Yankees-Red Sox game, and I don't doubt it.

The most interesting moment happened during the bottom of the seventh when I bought a bratwurst at the concession stand while watching the game on the TV monitor. When I saw Bill Mueller single to put runners on first and third with nobody out, I took a bite from my bratwurst and turned to head back to the auxiliary pressbox. A half-dozen Red Sox fans blocked my path.

"You're not going anywhere, buddy."

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"You're staying right here."

"What are you talking about?" I said. "You guys don't want me around here."

"Yeah, we do. We want to see your face when we rally."

Deciding to taunt a little, I told them that wasn't going to happen. "Nixon is going to ground into a double play."

"No, he won't. And besides, a doubleplay will still score a run."

"So, what?" I said. "You need two runs. He'll ground into a double play and you won't score again. Because that's the way it always works."

"You're still staying here."

OK, I replied, and returned my attention to the TV monitor ... just in time to see Nixon ground into a rally-killing 4-6-3 double play.

"See?" I said, turning around to face the six fans. Only no one was there. They were all slinking away as quietly as possible.

And in that moment, I suddenly knew what it was like to be a Yankee fan. And as much as I hate to admit, it felt pretty good.

But the feeling wore off pretty quickly. I mean, everybody loves their team, but it just seems so unfulfilling when outrageous success is expected each year rather than anticipated over many summers. Where's the fun in winning if you take it as a Constitutional right? Rooting for the Yankees is like rooting for Ticketmaster, only with better T-shirts.

So in closing, I wore the enemy colors in both stadiums; and I not only lived to tell about it, I can say it's safer than wearing them in the visiting team's bullpen.

And if anyone wants the Yankees shirt, let me know. I'll tell you which dumpster I left it in.

Jim Caple is a senior writer for ESPN.com.

Back
Top Bottom