RED phone?!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2_Refugee

The Fly
okay so i need a new cell phone and idecided ill get the red phone since ya know its a great cause and everything and i want to support red as much as possible it says its only available in chicago right now when will it be available to everyone?! i was going to get one in a few weeks am i going to have to wait till next year!??!

I had to put my name on a list to be notified when it is available. I did get the RED Bluetooth already. I have no idea how long it will take for the RED phones to become available and I don't understand why they aren't available already.

My mum has one, she bought hers in September, I think. But we're in the UK so it's probably different over here. :shrug:

It's a groovy phone though, I'm jealous :wink:

I have Cingular too, I don't think it really matters who your carrier is for this phone. I could be wrong but I hope I'm not because I really want this phone! You can get this phone with Cingular and I almost got the pink one but decided to hold out.

I think who you carrier does matter. Right now it's Sprint that is going to be the first to carry this phone. My guess is that the others (wireless carriers) will follow suit.. In the interview with Larry King, Bobby Shriver only mentioned Sprint as the carrier that will have it.

aw man are you serious? right now i dont have a phone and ive been waiting 2 get one because i want this one..but cingular is what my family uses so thats what i have to use naturally
:(
i need one by the beginning of dec too!

U2_Refugee said:
aw man are you serious? right now i dont have a phone and ive been waiting 2 get one because i want this one..but cingular is what my family uses so thats what i have to use naturally
:(
i need one by the beginning of dec too!

As of now that is the deal.. Like I mentioned it may be that Sprint will carry it first and then the other carriers will pick it up as well down the road..

That doesn't make much sense in that this is a special product to raise money for charity. I'd think part of the deal with Motorola and Red would be the phone could be purchased and any service carrier would support it. :shrug: If this is not the case I'll get the pink RAZR and return the red Bluetoothfor a regular model. :(

What psycho-rep told me was that they cannot guarantee all the functions on the phone will work. Like, I can make calls, but maybe not text (which makes no sense to me but whatever), nor browse the web nor download ringtones. They can't guarantee it. And I asked "Okay this is the model number...can you tell me since I gave you the exact #?" she said no. i cried. it was a rough day.

So...as U2F4F said, they prob will later. But for now I'm gonna call like once every week and push them, bc I have nothing better to do with my life.

OK keep calling. And keep posting here with updates. I don't understand what would be different in the red phone vs say the pink RAZR.....they are both Motorola. :shrug: And that doesn't make sense them saying the service might not work the same carrier to carrier. That doesn't sound right.

IIRC part of the monthly charge was going to to (RED) as well so maybe it is only Sprint that has worked out that part of the deal so far?

Carek1230 said:
I have Cingular too, I don't think it really matters who your carrier is for this phone. I could be wrong but I hope I'm not because I really want this phone! You can get this phone with Cingular and I almost got the pink one but decided to hold out.

Sprint is CDMA and Cingular GSM - two entirely different systems, so the phone guts would be a little different on each - you'd have to have a version for each. Cingular and T-Mobile run on the same GSM system, so if you got an unlocked phone you could use it on either (but not on Sprint or Verizon).

Yeah, I know it is the UK phone, but it is available for US customers to purchase. It even says we will need a US charger for it, b/c it only comes with a UK one.

I was just curious to see if anybody in the US had purchased it and if it worked with his/her network.

redhotswami said:
Yeah, I know it is the UK phone, but it is available for US customers to purchase. It even says we will need a US charger for it, b/c it only comes with a UK one.

I was just curious to see if anybody in the US had purchased it and if it worked with his/her network.

but the european phones use a completely different system then the U.S. Cell Phones do. How will it work here? I checked motorola's website and they don't make it available for purchase.

that site you linked earlier is a UK seller. And if you try and buy it now it says that its no longer available. If you were to buy from them it would be a UK system cell phone which wouldn't work here in the US.

Back
Top Bottom