"Red Dragon" - new Hannibal Lechter movie - Who's Seen It?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
Hey there!

So the new Lechter movie opens this weekend. Has anyone seen it and would like to comment on it?

I saw it last night, but don't want to comment by myself!

Let's discuss! :)

I haven't seen it myself, but I hear it's much like Silence of the tha Lambs, which was a great film, instead of Hannibal which I heard, (from people who loved Silence, that it couldn't suck enough, so I never actually bothered to watch it, but I'm planning on seeing this new one, since I like the psychological aspect of it, without giving it away, does it deliver?

I feel it delivers from the psychological profiler's point of view and the actual casework needed to catch the Dolarhyde character. Edward Norton (always brilliant, to me) is wonderful as Will Graham, the young and retired FBI agent who caught Hannibal, threw him in prison, and is now being called out yet again to assist with catching Dolarhyde, aka, the Tooth Fairy.

I felt that the pacing was well done, and the direction did not remind me that this was the same director of Rush Hour. Meaning that I didn't feel that I was watching a manipulative slicked back Hollywood blockbuster that was overly self-conscious of itself. The reviews have suggested that is was shot by a horror film's checklist of "scary things to pull on the audience," but I didn't feel this way. I was genuinely disturbed by some of the imagery, and wasn't able to predict what was to come next.

This is a fairly thrilling film, and there are some terrifying sequences. I heard lots of screams in the theatre. The music is mixed in well, and it's a well-done and forboding score.

I, too, felt Hannibal was gory and silly - and felt that Thomas Harris (the author) had inexplicably "sold out" the Clarice Starling character in that film/novel. Thankfully, as this is the prequel, we don't deal with those issues, nor are we subjected to the intense gore of Hannibal. I did feel though, that the female characters, save for Emily Watson's heartbreakingly sad character, were/are reduced to mere facades with pretty faces and nothing behind them.

I give it 3 out of 5 lemons.

I'm going to see it tonight :D
I really liked Silence better than Hannibal, but I still liked Hannibal.

The Wanderer said:
I haven't seen it myself, but I hear it's much like Silence of the tha Lambs, which was a great film, instead of Hannibal which I heard, (from people who loved Silence, that it couldn't suck enough, so I never actually bothered to watch it, but I'm planning on seeing this new one, since I like the psychological aspect of it, without giving it away, does it deliver?

Yeah, I've heard from everyone who's seen Hannibal that it's horrible. I really liked Silence of the Lambs, though, so I think I'll check out Red Dragon. 3 out of 5 lemons isn't too bad.

holy *scared*

it wasn't really REALLY scary until near the ending.

my best friend (yay! she came out to see me!) and i went to it last night. i swear i must have broken her hand cos i was so scared!

'The Silence of the Lambs" was terrific and suspenseful.

"Hannibal" was gory, disturbing, and suspenseful.

I predict that "Red Dragon" will be someone in between.

u2er said:
I'm going to see it tonight :D

I saw it.
Wow.. everything about this movie was great. The acting/actors, the plot, the music, the imagery.. amazing. I give it 5 out of 5 lemons :D :ohmy:

Oh, did I mention I looove Ralph Fiennes now? :drool: :combust:

501006.jpg

DOOOOOD

Did anyone else pick up....

OK William Blake
Songs of Innocence
Songs of Experience

Experience has The Tiger WHICH APPEARS IN "RED DRAGON"
Innocence The Lamb WHICH IS LATER SILENCED

o_O

The beginning and end were very exciting. In the middle, it varies from being an average crime mystery, to a psychological thriller. The best scenes are still the ones with Ed Norton and Anthony Hopkins. Ray Fiennes is actually believable as a killer, once you get a little of his background. Though the movie dragged at certain points, I think it kept me interested and scared enough to appreciate it. Overall, I'd give it a 7 out of 10.

MonaVox said:
DOOOOOD

Did anyone else pick up....

OK William Blake
Songs of Innocence
Songs of Experience

Experience has The Tiger WHICH APPEARS IN "RED DRAGON"
Innocence The Lamb WHICH IS LATER SILENCED

o_O

Dayam, Mona! You're deep! Thanks for the info! :yes: :wave:

Lemon Meringue said:
I hear the William Peterson movie, Manhunter, was based on the same book.

Red Dragon is basically a kind of remake of Manhunter

My boyfriend has seen Manhunter, which was made in the 80s or something I guess....but was lamer

I really liked Silence
AND
I thought Hannibal was a good movie

in fact, I went to see it twice in theatres and watched it on video once

look forward to seeing this one as well

Red Dragon stuck to the book better than most movies based on books so I was very pleased.
I'm a huge fan of the novels and am thrilled that this one turned out as well as it did, I do think that Ed Norton could have played the part a little more believable but over all the performances in the movie were very well done.

This is not a remake of Manhunter, they just both happen to be movies based on the same book is all. Manhunter and Red Dragon are vastly different as movies and Manhunter does have a horrid 80's cheesiness dripping off it :yuck:

Loved the movie!

Saw the movie last Friday and boy, was the line long. Seemed like we were queueing for some concert. GA memories... :D

Anyway, I :heart: the film. For someone who grew up watching suspense/horror/thriller flicks (even those stupid B-thrillers), I was still scared. Not towards the end though, bec. what was gonna happen was quite obvious.

Ralph Fiennes was fab, but OMG, there is truly something about Ed Norton. :drool: He's not even drop dead gorgeous, but...:love: He was even called "the thinking woman's Brad Pitt", after "Fight Club" came out.

I envy Salma Hayek. :grumpy:

I went to see the film yesterday and here are my initial thoughts:

1) The acting was terrific, but having every single significant character portrayed by a pretty/famous actor was distracting. Unlike the two earlier Hannibal films where there were two or maybe three familiar actors, Red Dragon had at least 8 key roles played by famous actors. This decision on the part of the director made me care less about the characters and made the film seem less realistic. Silence of the Lambs and Hannibal had more success in the realm of reality, because you didn't know what to expect.

2) Very little suspense. Aside from a moment near the climax of the film there was an absence of hair-raising suspense.

3) *Spoiler* (Do not read if you intend on seeing the film "Red Dragon":
One of the biggest surprises was that only one of the "characters" dies. Therefore, at the end of the film I felt like several characters cheated death a few too many times. I'm not saying that I WANTED certain people to die, but if a film truly wants to be frightening it must give off the impression that no one is safe.

4) Ralph Fiennes was fun to watch. Hopkins was terrific as always, Harvey Kitell wasn't in it as much as I hoped. Hoffman was tragic, and Norton seemed too young for the part.

Danospano said:
I went to see the film yesterday and here are my initial thoughts:

and Norton seemed too young for the part.

i agree .
other than that film was good..esp the flaming wheel-chair part:up:

DB9

Red Dragon was great! I'm a fan of all the movies, and an even bigger fan of Dr. Lecter.

Great film.

Ant.

Back
Top Bottom