Recommend some music for me...... - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-27-2002, 05:43 AM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 05:15 PM
Recommend some music for me......

Hi all,

I am stuck for some music to download- can you reccomend anything for me- now a lot of you should by now be aware that I have a very eclectice taste in music, basically I will like anything from world, folk, rock etc, etc- just no R and B and top 40 pop or punk stuff- so please fire away one and all- now I do have a bit of a penchant for some bad 80s new romantic stuff and Iggy Pop, what would you recommed?????

Old 04-27-2002, 05:52 AM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:15 AM
Try New Model army, it is a mix between folk, celtic and rockmusic.

Read you, Rono.

Old 04-27-2002, 06:12 AM   #3
Thom's Bitch

Local Time: 04:15 PM
I have never heard them before, yet I am interested in what they do. The Clinic I think is what they are called Venessa, please let me know if they are any good

Oh, I saw Relish last year at Slane and they were awesome, you might wanna give 'em a shot.

------------------
20 to 40!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-27-2002, 06:24 AM   #4
Refugee

clinic??????
Old 04-27-2002, 06:30 AM   #5
Thom's Bitch

u heard me.

------------------
20 to 40!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-27-2002, 08:08 AM   #6
Thom's Bitch

What about Elbow

------------------
"Your sun so bright it leaves no shadows, only scars. Carved into stone on the face of earth" - One Tree Hill

jonedwards80@hotmail.com
Old 04-27-2002, 08:22 AM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 07:15 PM
I have great things to recommend!

Eraserheads
album: Aloha Milkyway
- a band from the Phillippines singing in English and a song or two in Tagalog. Catchy tunes, a mix of electronica and good ol' band-rock-music. Lyrics can be playful, serious, ironic. http://www.philmusic.com/zine/news/1...loha/index.htm

Godspeed, you black emperor!
album: Lift your skinny fists like antennaes to heaven
No singing, kinda like Sigur Ros but in an edgier more sardonic way. Whereas Sigur Ros are more interested in exploring new sounds, Godspeed prefer to make political statements. They are anti-conglomerate and hate Radiohead. I heard their core band members number 9 people? They refuse to use photocopiers because Xerox is a monopolising company (talk about purists). But the music is great. Very expressionist, moving, sad, strange, uplifting in a sad way.

Anggun
album: Snow On The Sahara
Melodic. Fuses pop with traditional Malay sounds (with Indonesian instruments). Lyrics are great, sometimes in Bahasa Indonesian. Her voice resembles Annie Lennox. http://www.anggun.com

Dirty Three
Three-member band: violin, guitar and drums. Stripped down instrumental. Very interested in the chemistry of playing in a group and improvising, but with a certain loop-inspired structure. There's one song (offhand can't remember the title) where the drum is the instrument that provides the dynamics, and the violin is the one keeping time! Not just emotional music, but intelligent.

I didn't point you to any really helpful sites, but hopefully you can find ways to obtain the albums. I hope what I wrote sparked your interest just a bit.

foray
Old 04-27-2002, 08:24 AM   #8
Thom's Bitch

lamb

------------------
"Your sun so bright it leaves no shadows, only scars. Carved into stone on the face of earth"
- One Tree Hill

jonedwards80@hotmail.com
Old 04-27-2002, 09:11 AM   #9
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by foray:
I have great things to recommend!

Dirty Three
Three-member band: violin, guitar and drums. Stripped down instrumental. Very interested in the chemistry of playing in a group and improvising, but with a certain loop-inspired structure. There's one song (offhand can't remember the title) where the drum is the instrument that provides the dynamics, and the violin is the one keeping time! Not just emotional music, but intelligent.

I didn't point you to any really helpful sites, but hopefully you can find ways to obtain the albums. I hope what I wrote sparked your interest just a bit.

foray
Hey I am Australian, as are the Dirty Three, and I can safely say that I know how amazing they are - Live, they are the only band whom you will see 'windmill' a violin- good choice!

[This message has been edited by OzAurora (edited 04-27-2002).]
Old 04-27-2002, 09:32 AM   #10
War Child

Local Time: 06:15 AM
If you are looking for something really special try The Frames. They are definitely Ireland's most promising act, talent wise anyway. They folky/rocky/just plain class, real sweet soul tinglin music. I saw em live and it was totally different to seeing say U2 live, but it was almost as special. Try "Lay Me Down", "God save Mum" or songs from their latest album, "For The Birds", they deserve to become great, check em out!
Old 04-27-2002, 01:43 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 01:15 AM
Gavin Friday. Anything from Shag Tobacco is good. Some of the best songs on there (IMO) are Caruso, Angel, and the title track -- Shag Tobacco. Kitchen Sink Drama is also pretty good. Ah, it just occurred to me.. mp3s of that might be hard to find.

------------------
"You must not look down on someone just 'cos they are 14 years old. When I was that age I listened to the music of John Lennon and it changed my way of seeing things, so I'm just glad that 14 year olds are coming to see U2 rather than group X." - Bono, 1988

Popheart.org
Old 04-27-2002, 02:12 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 12:15 AM
If you download Elbow, you MUST do some Doves! If you like Doves, I'd also go with Ours and Vast. All VERY good bands with a similar sound.

------------------
Come on wisdom tooth, don't fail me now!

[This message has been edited by Lilly (edited 04-27-2002).]
Old 04-27-2002, 02:50 PM   #13
Acrobat

Local Time: 06:15 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by bono_man:

Oh, I saw Relish last year at Slane and they were awesome, you might wanna give 'em a shot.

second that, I have Relish's cd and think they're definitely one of the best bands around in Ireland atm. "You I'm thinking of" is a great song. Their music is unusually well performed and produced for such a new and little-known group.
I would urge you to buy the cds of any up and coming group as they need sales more than the big guys

------------------
Love is a very powerful thing. There's nothing more radical than two people loving each other. When I talk about love I'm thinking of an unselfish love. Emotions can be bought and sold just like anything else, but I think real love is about giving and not expecting anything in return...I think that love stands out when set against struggle.
-Bono (on love in 'War')

*~darkcloud~*
Old 04-27-2002, 09:16 PM   #14
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:45 AM
The guy who suggested The Frames is correct. They are very very good.
Get Dance the Devil ... you won't be dissapointed.

ELLIOT SMITH!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Next to U2 he could very well be my favorite! Amazing amazing song writer, and beautifulinger who sounds like the beatles, but a lot more talented, IMO

------------------
I'm not living
I'm just killing time
Old 04-28-2002, 12:27 AM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:15 AM
I've been listening to a lot of Nick Drake lately. And I downloaded a John Mayer song today, it's really good.

------------------
Pink elephants and lemonade.
Dear Jessie, hear the laughter running through the love parade.

Love,
Emily

Visit my webpage for U2 wallpapers: Emily's Wallpapers