Recommend some music for me......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OzAurora

Refugee
The Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia
Hi all,

I am stuck for some music to download- can you reccomend anything for me- now a lot of you should by now be aware that I have a very eclectice taste in music, basically I will like anything from world, folk, rock etc, etc- just no R and B and top 40 pop or punk stuff- so please fire away one and all- now I do have a bit of a penchant for some bad 80s new romantic stuff and Iggy Pop, what would you recommed?????
smile.gif

Try New Model army, it is a mix between folk, celtic and rockmusic.

Read you, Rono.

I have never heard them before, yet I am interested in what they do. The Clinic I think is what they are called Venessa, please let me know if they are any good
smile.gif

Oh, I saw Relish last year at Slane and they were awesome, you might wanna give 'em a shot.

------------------
20 to 40!!!!!!!!!!!

What about Elbow

------------------
"Your sun so bright it leaves no shadows, only scars. Carved into stone on the face of earth" - One Tree Hill

jonedwards80@hotmail.com

I have great things to recommend!

Eraserheads
album: Aloha Milkyway
- a band from the Phillippines singing in English and a song or two in Tagalog. Catchy tunes, a mix of electronica and good ol' band-rock-music. Lyrics can be playful, serious, ironic. http://www.philmusic.com/zine/news/1998/11/110298_aloha/index.htm

Godspeed, you black emperor!
album: Lift your skinny fists like antennaes to heaven
No singing, kinda like Sigur Ros but in an edgier more sardonic way. Whereas Sigur Ros are more interested in exploring new sounds, Godspeed prefer to make political statements. They are anti-conglomerate and hate Radiohead. I heard their core band members number 9 people? They refuse to use photocopiers because Xerox is a monopolising company (talk about purists). But the music is great. Very expressionist, moving, sad, strange, uplifting in a sad way.

Anggun
album: Snow On The Sahara
Melodic. Fuses pop with traditional Malay sounds (with Indonesian instruments). Lyrics are great, sometimes in Bahasa Indonesian. Her voice resembles Annie Lennox. http://www.anggun.com

Dirty Three
Three-member band: violin, guitar and drums. Stripped down instrumental. Very interested in the chemistry of playing in a group and improvising, but with a certain loop-inspired structure. There's one song (offhand can't remember the title) where the drum is the instrument that provides the dynamics, and the violin is the one keeping time! Not just emotional music, but intelligent.

I didn't point you to any really helpful sites, but hopefully you can find ways to obtain the albums. I hope what I wrote sparked your interest just a bit.

foray

lamb

------------------
"Your sun so bright it leaves no shadows, only scars. Carved into stone on the face of earth"
- One Tree Hill

jonedwards80@hotmail.com

Originally posted by foray:
I have great things to recommend!

Dirty Three
Three-member band: violin, guitar and drums. Stripped down instrumental. Very interested in the chemistry of playing in a group and improvising, but with a certain loop-inspired structure. There's one song (offhand can't remember the title) where the drum is the instrument that provides the dynamics, and the violin is the one keeping time! Not just emotional music, but intelligent.

I didn't point you to any really helpful sites, but hopefully you can find ways to obtain the albums. I hope what I wrote sparked your interest just a bit.

foray
Hey I am Australian, as are the Dirty Three, and I can safely say that I know how amazing they are - Live, they are the only band whom you will see 'windmill' a violin- good choice!
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by OzAurora (edited 04-27-2002).]

If you are looking for something really special try The Frames. They are definitely Ireland's most promising act, talent wise anyway. They folky/rocky/just plain class, real sweet soul tinglin music. I saw em live and it was totally different to seeing say U2 live, but it was almost as special. Try "Lay Me Down", "God save Mum" or songs from their latest album, "For The Birds", they deserve to become great, check em out!

Gavin Friday. Anything from Shag Tobacco is good. Some of the best songs on there (IMO) are Caruso, Angel, and the title track -- Shag Tobacco. Kitchen Sink Drama is also pretty good.
smile.gif
Ah, it just occurred to me.. mp3s of that might be hard to find.
redface.gif

------------------
"You must not look down on someone just 'cos they are 14 years old. When I was that age I listened to the music of John Lennon and it changed my way of seeing things, so I'm just glad that 14 year olds are coming to see U2 rather than group X." - Bono, 1988

Popheart.org

If you download Elbow, you MUST do some Doves! If you like Doves, I'd also go with Ours and Vast. All VERY good bands with a similar sound.

------------------
Come on wisdom tooth, don't fail me now!

[This message has been edited by Lilly (edited 04-27-2002).]

Originally posted by bono_man:

Oh, I saw Relish last year at Slane and they were awesome, you might wanna give 'em a shot.

second that, I have Relish's cd and think they're definitely one of the best bands around in Ireland atm. "You I'm thinking of" is a great song. Their music is unusually well performed and produced for such a new and little-known group.
I would urge you to buy the cds of any up and coming group as they need sales more than the big guys
smile.gif

------------------
Love is a very powerful thing. There's nothing more radical than two people loving each other. When I talk about love I'm thinking of an unselfish love. Emotions can be bought and sold just like anything else, but I think real love is about giving and not expecting anything in return...I think that love stands out when set against struggle.
-Bono (on love in 'War')

?*~darkcloud~*?

The guy who suggested The Frames is correct. They are very very good.
Get Dance the Devil ... you won't be dissapointed.

ELLIOT SMITH!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Next to U2 he could very well be my favorite! Amazing amazing song writer, and beautifulinger who sounds like the beatles, but a lot more talented, IMO

------------------
I'm not living
I'm just killing time

I've been listening to a lot of Nick Drake lately. And I downloaded a John Mayer song today, it's really good.

------------------
Pink elephants and lemonade.
Dear Jessie, hear the laughter running through the love parade.

Love,
Emily

Visit my webpage for U2 wallpapers: Emily's Wallpapers

Me recommend music? bwahahahahahahahahahaha. my time has come...

Alright, here goes:

The Weakerthans - slowish amazing lyrics slightly punk but slowed right down brilliantly you'll love them goddamnit.

Air - Sweet. you need it to live, so the band has to be good.

Underworld - just totally sweet. sweeter than a ninja, and god knows ninjas are totally sweet.

Mint Royale - do you need your spirits lifted? this is the way to go happy, housy, and horny. good shit.

Massive Attack - DUDE! the creepiest scariest coolest triphopping madness to come out of Bristol since wednesday. Their newest album mezzanine is flippingly awesome.

At The Drive In - good shit my friend. very good shit.

Prodigy - grandmasters of techno beat. boom boom boom. mmm.

Zero 7 - If you like Air's first album (which you really should) then Zero 7 is good, cause they ripped 'em off
tongue.gif

I second the Clinic recommendation. They are dude.

Dj Tiesto - In Search of Sunrise 2 - introduce yourself to the world of trance, it is the place to be. except it's going out of style. but i still think it's good so
tongue.gif

Dead Can Dance - they play in the style of medieval music from all over the world. Quite cool.

Delerium - ethnicy sounds and beats and great vocals when they're there. the old stuff is all creeped out industrial ambience, which some people find enjoyable.

Dusted - Childhood is the name of the album. It is one of the coolest things I've heard all year.

Portishead - I hear they're really good! I dig Sour Times hard core. that's a great tune. they have a song called numb, just like u2.. so that's a good sign.

Apollo 440 - eclectic technoey rock stuff. lot's of fun, don't take 'em too seriously, but man they're fun.

Outkast - Yeah, so you don't like rap... neither do I. I somehow manage to love these guys a lot though.

PJ Harvey - you may be familiar with her, but if not, change that. She is very good at what she does.

The Gurriers - good luck finding any mp3s. But they are cool.

Groove Armada - the ultimate in mellow groovy smooth funkossity.

Moby - He's a dude.

Hey Oz, Looking over some other posts of yours, it seems like you have wicked taste in music. Congratulations
wink.gif

Originally posted by SkeeK:
Hey Oz, Looking over some other posts of yours, it seems like you have wicked taste in music. Congratulations
wink.gif

Thanks Skeek- I think I have great taste in music and I love the thrill of finding something new to play, the joy of playing a certain song or cd over and over again cause you just cant get enough of it- thanks heaps for your recommendations- a lot of them I have heard of and own cds of them like,
Massive attack- could not get enough of Karma coma when I first heard it
Moby- same goes with Porcelain
Delerium- love, love, love their sound
Portishead- they are very good, I have 'Dummy'
and DJ Tiesto, Underworld, Prodigy, PJ Harvey and Groove Armada I have songs of thiers- and I know what you mean about Outkast- I dont like Miss Jackson but I heard one song of theirs on the radio which I really, really dug- wish I could remember the name- but hey one and all please keep the songs coming
smile.gif

I LOVE RELISH
I love their song "u i'm thinkin of" & without any doubt i bought their album though i only knew 1 song but i believed that the other tracks would be great. and i was right. i love their album & when i found out that they' re irish & they supported U2, i hav no reasons to hate this band
smile.gif

One of my current favourite albums is "Felt Mountain" by Goldfrapp. Gorgeous atmospheric stuff that makes you think of... er, majestic mountains and things.

White Stripes - one of the critically adored acts which actually deserves it.

Also: Beth Orton, PJ Harvey (whose "To Bring You My Love" IMO can't be recommended enough).

Originally posted by The Wanderer:
it's just clinic, "the clinic" makes it sound like you are going to get an abortion or something

any good?

------------------
"Your sun so bright it leaves no shadows, only scars. Carved into stone on the face of earth"
- One Tree Hill

jonedwards80@hotmail.com

The Jon Spencer Blues Explosion - Plastic Fang: best album this year and that may even stay that way should U2 release new material in 2002

Frank Zappa - Weasels Ripped My Flesh: showing about anything the man was capable off

Los Lobos - Kiko: great combination of 'roots music' and exploration of musical possibilities

Aphex Twin - Classics: title says it all
one of the best electronic albums ever

Miles Davis - Bitches Brew: one of the most important albums in musical history

The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds: the most important + perhaps the best album in musical history

Lambchop - Is a Woman: another great album released this year
a band whose roots are in country but who have transformed that into a sound of their own

Tindersticks - Can our Love ...: one of the best albums of 2001 IMO

Bonnie 'Prince' Billy - Ease Down the Road: my fav lyricist (except for Michael Stipe)
this probably is his best album so far

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

I've just been listening to some Gemma Hayes, after I saw her on the Hot Press Awards, well she wasnt there but she won best female vocalist (I think). They played just a few seconds of her and I was like "wow, who's this?!". had never heard of her before so got some of her music, I think I'll get her cd (its out in may I think) what I've heard of her music quite mellow, and the songs struck me as being very short, but good
smile.gif

------------------
Love is a very powerful thing. There's nothing more radical than two people loving each other. When I talk about love I'm thinking of an unselfish love. Emotions can be bought and sold just like anything else, but I think real love is about giving and not expecting anything in return...I think that love stands out when set against struggle.
-Bono (on love in 'War')

?*~darkcloud~*?

Conjure One, to be released in July, looks very very sweet. It is a solo project by Rhys Fulber of Delerium. download Redemption and Sleep, and Tidal Pool for a sample. The lead single will feature Sinead O'Conner.

As far as semi-obscure (at least in the US) bands go, I highly recommend Idlewild, Neil Halstead (and also his band, Mojave 3), Ed Harcourt, South, Turin Brakes, Super Furry Animals, Gorky's Zygotic Mynci, Electric Soft Parade, the Devlins, Haven, and many, many more.
biggrin.gif

I also second (third?) the Elbow, Clinic, Doves, Air, Massive Attack, and Portishead recommendations.

------------------
"Look for oceans walls/ to gaze upon/ these distance stars/ yeah, these distance suns/ are all the reasons/ are all the reasons/ the only season in my life" -- Neil Halstead
"Left my sweet soul beneath the bedclothes/ I?m not coming down/ Walls have ears/ but no one hears/ when nobody?s around"--Starsailor

Originally posted by sharky:
Starsailor-- I can't say enough good things about this band.

Yay! My second favourite band! I saw them on Saturday and hopefully will be seeing them again on Wednesday if I can get out of work on time. They get better and better everytime I see them.

Back
Top Bottom