Recommend some music for me...... - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-28-2002, 01:19 AM   #16
The Original
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:22 PM
Me recommend music? bwahahahahahahahahahaha. my time has come...

Alright, here goes:

The Weakerthans - slowish amazing lyrics slightly punk but slowed right down brilliantly you'll love them goddamnit.

Air - Sweet. you need it to live, so the band has to be good.

Underworld - just totally sweet. sweeter than a ninja, and god knows ninjas are totally sweet.

Mint Royale - do you need your spirits lifted? this is the way to go happy, housy, and horny. good shit.

Massive Attack - DUDE! the creepiest scariest coolest triphopping madness to come out of Bristol since wednesday. Their newest album mezzanine is flippingly awesome.

At The Drive In - good shit my friend. very good shit.

Prodigy - grandmasters of techno beat. boom boom boom. mmm.

Zero 7 - If you like Air's first album (which you really should) then Zero 7 is good, cause they ripped 'em off

I second the Clinic recommendation. They are dude.

Dj Tiesto - In Search of Sunrise 2 - introduce yourself to the world of trance, it is the place to be. except it's going out of style. but i still think it's good so

Dead Can Dance - they play in the style of medieval music from all over the world. Quite cool.

Delerium - ethnicy sounds and beats and great vocals when they're there. the old stuff is all creeped out industrial ambience, which some people find enjoyable.

Dusted - Childhood is the name of the album. It is one of the coolest things I've heard all year.

Portishead - I hear they're really good! I dig Sour Times hard core. that's a great tune. they have a song called numb, just like u2.. so that's a good sign.

Apollo 440 - eclectic technoey rock stuff. lot's of fun, don't take 'em too seriously, but man they're fun.

Outkast - Yeah, so you don't like rap... neither do I. I somehow manage to love these guys a lot though.

PJ Harvey - you may be familiar with her, but if not, change that. She is very good at what she does.

The Gurriers - good luck finding any mp3s. But they are cool.

Groove Armada - the ultimate in mellow groovy smooth funkossity.

Moby - He's a dude.

Old 04-28-2002, 01:34 AM   #17
The Original
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Hey Oz, Looking over some other posts of yours, it seems like you have wicked taste in music. Congratulations

Old 04-28-2002, 01:42 AM   #18
Refugee

Local Time: 02:22 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by SkeeK:
Hey Oz, Looking over some other posts of yours, it seems like you have wicked taste in music. Congratulations
Thanks Skeek- I think I have great taste in music and I love the thrill of finding something new to play, the joy of playing a certain song or cd over and over again cause you just cant get enough of it- thanks heaps for your recommendations- a lot of them I have heard of and own cds of them like,
Massive attack- could not get enough of Karma coma when I first heard it
Moby- same goes with Porcelain
Delerium- love, love, love their sound
Portishead- they are very good, I have 'Dummy'
and DJ Tiesto, Underworld, Prodigy, PJ Harvey and Groove Armada I have songs of thiers- and I know what you mean about Outkast- I dont like Miss Jackson but I heard one song of theirs on the radio which I really, really dug- wish I could remember the name- but hey one and all please keep the songs coming

Old 04-28-2002, 01:48 AM   #19
Kid A

it's just clinic, "the clinic" makes it sound like you are going to get an abortion or something
Old 04-28-2002, 03:28 AM   #20
The Fly

Local Time: 10:22 AM
I LOVE RELISH
I love their song "u i'm thinkin of" & without any doubt i bought their album though i only knew 1 song but i believed that the other tracks would be great. and i was right. i love their album & when i found out that they' re irish & they supported U2, i hav no reasons to hate this band
Old 04-28-2002, 04:23 AM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 03:22 AM
One of my current favourite albums is "Felt Mountain" by Goldfrapp. Gorgeous atmospheric stuff that makes you think of... er, majestic mountains and things.

White Stripes - one of the critically adored acts which actually deserves it.

Also: Beth Orton, PJ Harvey (whose "To Bring You My Love" IMO can't be recommended enough).
Old 04-28-2002, 06:40 AM   #22
Thom's Bitch

Local Time: 01:22 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by The Wanderer:
it's just clinic, "the clinic" makes it sound like you are going to get an abortion or something
any good?

------------------
"Your sun so bright it leaves no shadows, only scars. Carved into stone on the face of earth"
- One Tree Hill

jonedwards80@hotmail.com
Old 04-28-2002, 07:07 AM   #23
you are what you is

Local Time: 04:22 AM
The Jon Spencer Blues Explosion - Plastic Fang: best album this year and that may even stay that way should U2 release new material in 2002

Frank Zappa - Weasels Ripped My Flesh: showing about anything the man was capable off

Los Lobos - Kiko: great combination of 'roots music' and exploration of musical possibilities

Aphex Twin - Classics: title says it all
one of the best electronic albums ever

Miles Davis - Bitches Brew: one of the most important albums in musical history

The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds: the most important + perhaps the best album in musical history

Lambchop - Is a Woman: another great album released this year
a band whose roots are in country but who have transformed that into a sound of their own

Tindersticks - Can our Love ...: one of the best albums of 2001 IMO

Bonnie 'Prince' Billy - Ease Down the Road: my fav lyricist (except for Michael Stipe)
this probably is his best album so far

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it
Old 04-28-2002, 08:28 AM   #24
Acrobat

I've just been listening to some Gemma Hayes, after I saw her on the Hot Press Awards, well she wasnt there but she won best female vocalist (I think). They played just a few seconds of her and I was like "wow, who's this?!". had never heard of her before so got some of her music, I think I'll get her cd (its out in may I think) what I've heard of her music quite mellow, and the songs struck me as being very short, but good

------------------
Love is a very powerful thing. There's nothing more radical than two people loving each other. When I talk about love I'm thinking of an unselfish love. Emotions can be bought and sold just like anything else, but I think real love is about giving and not expecting anything in return...I think that love stands out when set against struggle.
-Bono (on love in 'War')

°*~darkcloud~*°
Old 04-28-2002, 04:12 PM   #25
Kid A

clinic is a good band, I had a thread about this a couple of weeks ago
Old 04-28-2002, 08:26 PM   #26
The Original
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Conjure One, to be released in July, looks very very sweet. It is a solo project by Rhys Fulber of Delerium. download Redemption and Sleep, and Tidal Pool for a sample. The lead single will feature Sinead O'Conner.
Old 04-28-2002, 09:23 PM   #27
ONE
love, blood, life

the hives
Old 04-29-2002, 04:36 PM   #28
New Yorker

Starsailor-- I can't say enough good things about this band.
Old 04-29-2002, 05:09 PM   #29
Blue Crack Addict

As far as semi-obscure (at least in the US) bands go, I highly recommend Idlewild, Neil Halstead (and also his band, Mojave 3), Ed Harcourt, South, Turin Brakes, Super Furry Animals, Gorky's Zygotic Mynci, Electric Soft Parade, the Devlins, Haven, and many, many more.

I also second (third?) the Elbow, Clinic, Doves, Air, Massive Attack, and Portishead recommendations.

------------------
"Look for oceans walls/ to gaze upon/ these distance stars/ yeah, these distance suns/ are all the reasons/ are all the reasons/ the only season in my life" -- Neil Halstead
"Left my sweet soul beneath the bedclothes/ I’m not coming down/ Walls have ears/ but no one hears/ when nobody’s around"--Starsailor
Old 04-29-2002, 05:12 PM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by sharky:
Starsailor-- I can't say enough good things about this band.
Yay! My second favourite band! I saw them on Saturday and hopefully will be seeing them again on Wednesday if I can get out of work on time. They get better and better everytime I see them.