Recommend me new music

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just bought the new Doves and I think it's probably the best album I've bought this year. Also the new Ours is not bad, a lot of the songs are stellar, but I think it lacks a little as a whole album(but still worth it if you liked Distorted Lullabies).

i bought doves cause of you meeganie. you never shut up about them, so i figured it would be worth it. havent listened to it very much. its tolerable thus far.

david bowie best of is a good choice, im sure, helloangel.

best music to get into now...

radiohead

sigur ros, gy!be, mogwai aint bad (any of you heard of the reindeer selection?) BECK! (with an exclamation mark, youll love his new cd), pink floyd, rem.

there.

oh and future sound of london. download either papua new guinea or meadows (they are songs) immediately and tell me you are not moved.

that is all.

I know everything here but Jim O'Rourke. :slant:

Bear, you should get Lost Souls. I think you'd like it better than The Last Broadcast. I like it better, at least.

And I LOVE the Reindeer Section. I don't have Son Of Evil Reindeer yet, though.

As far as Jim goes his album, I'm Happy, and I'm Singing, and a 1, 2, 3, 4, is supposed to be his essential record, though I have not yet heard it.

Get Neko Case, Blacklisted. It's a gem of an album. Just listen to "I Wish I Was the Moon"!

If you want musical landscape in the vein of Mogwai, get Godspeed you Black Emperor. And of their albums get "Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennaes Towards Heaven". There are two cd's and only 4 songs...packed with dynamic twists and turns...just REALLY beautiful music.

If you like Aphex Twin you will love Boards of Canada...two scottish guys who make excellent music. Music has the right to Children is probably their best.
Very unique and interesting!
"Orrrange.....teehehehe"

Lately I've been on a Flaming Lips fixation. They fascinate me! if you haven't heard their past two albums, give them a good listen...it's music at its finest.

Neil Finn Neil Finn Neil Finn Neil Finn
:drool: :drool: - You must hear One All!

download anything from jim o'rourke's insignificance. it's a great album. in fact the whole record label - drag city - has some amazing bands.

songs:

All Downhill From Here
Insignificance
Therefore, I Am
Memory Lane
Good Times
Get a Room
Life Goes Off

aw yea. you've probably heard some or all of these, but here's what i'm currently really liking enjoying listening to:

Elf Power
Iron and Wine
Ugly Casanova
Spoon
The Notwist
Mogwai

oh yeah, and thx for the jim suggestions guys! i've heard a bit about him and have been wanting to check him izout, as they say.

Last edited:
ah, wait. i thought you were talking about starsailor. haaaaaaaaa. my fault.

so that cd is actually by the doves then? interesting... i have way to many cds. im not buying another one this calendar year, i need to listen to all this first!

:sexywink:

Is Neil Finn from Crowded House or Mutton Birds?

This is SO weird....in my Philosophy of Song class we just had a grad student from New Zealand talk about music from New Zealand..... he's from one of those two groups.....

for the last time,

Electric Soft Parade - Holes in the Wall

"Debut Album of the Year? It's got invention and it rocks like a bitch" 9/10 - NME

"File under brilliant debuts" - The Guardian

"Set to give British rock the kiss of life" - Mail On Sunday

"The Electric Soft Parade mix the progressive rock of Pink Floyd with the tuneful intensity of The Verve. Young, Gifted and refreshingly British." - Daily Mail

"They're going to be making waves, sleazy production, sweeping vocals and grungy guitars - this is a blast from the future." - Mojo

"...A real gift for melody, a greater sense of sonic adventure and rhythmic invention" - Daily Telegraph

of course, it's still not available in North America because we have too many good bands already :sexywink:

YES!

I ADORE Electric Soft Parade. My boyfriend went to see them on Sunday night, with Athlete (who I like okayish) supporting.

Have you heard ESP's cover of "Can't Get You Out of My Head"? :lol:

ESP have had the BEST opening acts of all time, though: KID GALAHAD and MELATON.

And Melaton opened for SEAFOOD. :hyper:

Meegannie, let me make you a mix CD! :) PM me if interested.

I'm just going to list some favey songs of mine (some recent, some not so recent) for you to download if you want to hear stuff you may not have heard:

"Never the Same" Supreme Beings of Leisure
"Inertia Creeps" Massive Attack
"Short Skirt Long Jacket" Cake
"Destiny" Zero Seven
"Concrete Sky" Beth Orton
"Now My Heart Is Full" Morrissey
"Verdi Cries" 10,000 Maniacs
"Wear Your Love Like Heaven" Sarah McLachlan
"Gonna Make You Love Me" Ryan Adams
"Crooked Crown" the Anniversary
"St. Patrick's Day" John Mayer
"I'll Be Your Shelter" the Housemartins
"Let Love Speak Up Itself" the Beautiful South
"Taxi Ride" Tori Amos
"Saint Judas" Natalie Merchant

ya i picked it up the same day i picked up the new compilation cd put out nickelback, creed, default, bon jovi, matchbox 20, staind, three doors down and saliva...

its a cd where they all play covers of each others songs. kinda like what poison and warrant did in the 80's.

well the thing with acdc was at least they changed their style, and reinvented themselves about as often as a leisure suit has in the fashion world... :sexywink:

Elf Power dammit! i am rocking out right now.

Spoon is going to be on Conan tonight!

Oh and i forgot to mention BDB's newest... it's great.
also check out Luna, and the Lilys... if you haven't.

do it to it!

this has been a great year for compilation albums
* Island blues
a collection of originals from islands in Africa, South America, Indonesia and Europe
* Joe Meek - The Alchemist of Pop
the best pop producer lived in the 60's
* Do the Pop
a great introduction into the Australian garage rock scene in the 70's and the 80's
* Sun Records - 50th Anniversary

Back
Top Bottom