Recommend me a new artist to discover...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2Fanatic4ever said:

LOL :hug:. Hey, I'll gladly ditto your sentiments, definitely highly recommend Muse as well as far as modern stuff goes :up:.

As far as classic artists...let's see...well, looking at the other classic rock artists you mentioned, Tom Petty'd be an excellent choice if you're not all that familiar with him:

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers:
-Damn The Torpedoes, which has songs like "Refugee", "Don't Do Me Like That", and "Here Comes My Girl"
-Self-titled debut is good stuff, too-"Breakdown", "American Girl", "Hometown Blues", "Luna".

Tom Solo Works:
-Wildflowers. Highly recommend this album-the whole thing is just awesomeness.

And if you like Beatles-esque music and are interested in something a bit more mellow, I'd suggest looking into the Finn brothers' catalog. There's a lot of eras for them, though, so I'll break it down a bit more for you:

-Split Enz

Led by Tim Finn, though Neil Finn came in later and the two kinda lead together for a while. Recommended albums:

-Dizrhythmia (from their 70s days)
-True Colours or Time & Tide (from their 80s days)

If you like Bowie and new wave type music, you'll love these guys, I'd bet.

Crowded House:

Led by Neil Finn, founded after Split Enz broke up. Much more Beatles-ish in nature. Recommended albums:

-Together Alone
-Temple Of Low Men has some good stuff, too.

Miscellaneous:

-Finn Brothers' Finn (1995)
-Neil Finn's Try Whistling This (1998)
-Tim Finn's Imaginary Kingdom (2006/2007, depending on where one lives)

The first two in that list are also rather experimental in nature, so if you're wanting to go that route musically, those definitely would be worth looking into.

Think I'll stop there for now :p. If you do check out any of this stuff, I hope you like it.

Angela

zuropa_fit said:

The Shins - Chutes Too Narrow (brit pop)

All the best Brit Pop comes from Albuquerque, just ask Joyfulgirl......

Seriously though, listen to the Stone Roses. I'm begging you.

I can't believe nobody has mentioned these guys yet!!!

rem22.jpg

If you know U2 and don't know any REM, it's a crime in my mind. :wink: They're rock legend brothers! :rockon:

Automatic For The People
Out Of Time
Life's Rich Pageant
Document
Monster
New Adventures

Guys, he did say popular artist! and asked for the most accessible albums! That's why I don't understand recommendations like Stone Roses. They had what.. 2 albums? :wink:

Last edited:
Let's get the party started. My apologies if you have any of these.

More funner muzik

Stone Roses - Stone Roses
Blur - Best Of
Supergrass - I Should Coco
Pulp - Different Class
Primal Scream - Screamadelica
Flaming Lips - Clouds Taste Metallic
Weezer - Blue Album
Ween - Chocolate And Cheese
Beck - Midnite Vultures

Hippity hip hop

The Streets - A Grand Don't Come For Free
Jay-Z - Reasonable Doubt
Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique
Nas - Illmatic
Snoop Dogg - Doggystyle

Old-but-freakin-sweet

Yes - Fragile
Genesis - Foxtrot
King Crimson - In The Court Of The Crimson King
Aerosmith - Toys In The Attic
Steely Dan - Aja
Led Zeppelin - IV
The Who - Who's Next
Velvet Underground - Velvet Underground And Nico
Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers
Queen - Night At The Opera

Indietastic shiznit

Modest Mouse - Moon And Antarctica
Sufjan Stevens - Illinoise
Spoon - Girls Can Tell
The Shins - Oh, Inverted World!
White Stripes - Elephant
Interpol - Turn On The Bright Lights

Peter Bjorn and John
Spoon
The National
Peter Bjorn and John
Peter Bjorn and John

Arcade Fire
The Velvet Underground
Peter Gabriel
R.E.M.

If they've already been mentioned, too bad. I can't read.

R.E.M. R.E.M. R.E.M. R.E.M. R.E.M. R.E.M. R.E.M. R.E.M. R.E.M. R.E.M. R.E.M. R.E.M. R.E.M. R.E.M. R.E.M. R.E.M. R.E.M. R.E.M. R.E.M. R.E.M. R.E.M. R.E.M. R.E.M. R.E.M. R.E.M. R.E.M. R.E.M. R.E.M. R.E.M. R.E.M. R.E.M. R.E.M. R.E.M. R.E.M. R.E.M. R.E.M. R.E.M. R.E.M. R.E.M. R.E.M. R.E.M. R.E.M. R.E.M. R.E.M. R.E.M. R.E.M. R.E.M. R.E.M. R.E.M. R.E.M. R.E.M. R.E.M. R.E.M. R.E.M. R.E.M. R.E.M. R.E.M. R.E.M. R.E.M. R.E.M. R.E.M. R.E.M. R.E.M. R.E.M. R.E.M. R.E.M. R.E.M. R.E.M. R.E.M. R.E.M.

The poor guy is gonna end up so confused that he'll just continue listening to U2, Beatles, Floyd & Bowie.

patske said:
If you really want something, which a lot of people don't know around here (i think).. Try Belgium's finest export product since Stelle Artois.. dEUS (there immensly popular here in Belgium)
Check out there myspace

http://www.myspace.com/deusbe

:up:

and maybe just as big abroad as dEUS, is Soulwax ( also known as "2 many dj's")
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cf

There are many other good Belgian bands around, like Millionaire, Zita Swoon or if you're more into dance, we have Praga Khan, Goose..

The Tragically Hip
Porcupine Tree
The Gunshy
Aereogramme
The Twilight Sad
Arab Strap
The Handsome Family
Neil Young
Billie Holiday
Louis Armstrong
Marvin Gaye (especially "What's Going On")
Migala
Mew
Arcade Fire
R.E.M.
....AND A WHOLE WHACK OF OTHERS!!!

Zootlesque said:
Guys, he did say popular artist! and asked for the most accessible albums! That's why I don't understand recommendations like Stone Roses. They had what.. 2 albums? :wink:

LOL, eh, yeah, true, but it never hurts to throw lesser-known ones in, too, just in case curiosity strikes later :).

I just feel bad for the poor guy, they're probably so overwhelmed now! Out of the artists here I do know, though, I fully agree that they are all worth checking out, you've all made some excellect suggestions. So enjoy the music hunt, COBL_04, and I hope you like whatever you hear!

martha said:
Nah. There are a few I'm going to check out when I get home and can open youtube links and stuff.

Ditto. Some of these artists I'm familiar with, but I don't know tons of stuff by them, some I've never heard at all, so hell, I'll gladly check out this stuff myself, too :up:.

Angela

U2Fanatic4ever said:

yes.

do this.

now.

Canadiens1160 said:
Oh shit I missed this. DO THIS IMMEDIATELY.
cookiemonsteruj1.gif

and that.

Aquemini = win

How bout Hendrix? every heard of him? Get Axis: Bold as Love. Right Now. it will blow your mind, and your brain, and your head

Back
Top Bottom