Recommend me a new artist to discover... - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-29-2007, 03:50 AM   #16
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:01 AM
I'll second Porcupine Tree. I love Lightbulb Sun and Stupid Dream.

Look into Catherine Wheel. Ferment, Chrome, and Adam & Eve are all good.

Old 10-29-2007, 07:50 AM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 04:01 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMelon
Stone Roses. Check out their debut ASAP.
First band that came to my head too, was the Stone Roses.

Only have two proper studio albums, but the self-titled debut is an absolute cracker. Seeimingly genre-less, yet with a huge Byrdsian sound and Madchester attitude. It's just an oh so sweet sound, and King Monkey's vocal enchants big time. Check out the epic This Is The One, She Bangs The Drums, I Wanna Be Adored, Made Of Stone, Waterfall....fuck, just check out the whole damn album, it is my favourite of all-time.

Their much maligned follow up takes on a different sound, almost Zeppelinesque, and while nowhere near as perfect as the predecessor, it still features some immensely interesting songs (Tears, Daybreak, Ten Storey Love Song, Begging You, Love Spreads, The Foz).

In terms of proper albums, that's all they had. There's another must-hear compilation of singles and b-sides called Turns Into Stone, which features their most famous song, Fools Gold, a Madchester anthem, and soem other crackers, such as Elephant Stone, Mersey Paradise, Where Angels Play and "ring-a-ding-ding-ding we're Going Down."

Also a few other worthwhile tunes that aren't on these compilations, such as Sally Cinnamon, All Across The Sands and er...all 10 seconds of Haddock.

But once you fulfil your Stone Roses journey (which shouldn't take long with such a limited canon), you'll find yourself delving into Madchester (Happy Mondays, New Order), Ian Brown's underated solo material (new album just released folks, The World Is Yours, featuring a duet with Sinead O) learning to appreciate Oasis, Suede, Blur and The Verve, and most of al, you will almost certainly discover and grow to adore The Smiths and Morrissey, who most on this forum have immense respect for.

Old 10-29-2007, 08:03 AM   #18
She's the One

Local Time: 10:01 PM
Go get Who's Next. Then play it loud.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:45 AM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 01:01 AM
Joe 90. Amazing rock band with powerful lyrics, great lead singer, and a warm acoustic feel. There are featured in various tv shows and movies. Most notably for "Drive" in Six Feet Underground. Please check them out.

http://www.amazon.com/Dream-This-Joe...3661953&sr=1-1

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...7-0950a44f8017
Old 10-29-2007, 09:01 AM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 07:01 AM
a few years ago i bought 'The Very Best of The Smiths' from amazon.co.uk for £5. Best purchase i ever made.

a perfect introduction to a near perfect band
Old 10-29-2007, 09:10 AM   #21
ONE
love, blood, life

Queen. Buy A Night At The Opera. It's one of the greatest albums ever recorded.
Old 10-29-2007, 09:28 AM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

only one band you need to check out.... MUSE MUSE AND MORE MUSE AND NOTHING ELSE!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-29-2007, 10:45 AM   #23
Refugee

If you really want something, which a lot of people don't know around here (i think).. Try Belgium's finest export product since Stelle Artois.. dEUS (there immensly popular here in Belgium)
Check out there myspace

http://www.myspace.com/deusbe
Old 10-29-2007, 11:33 AM   #24
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:01 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2Fanatic4ever
only one band you need to check out.... MUSE MUSE AND MORE MUSE AND NOTHING ELSE!!!!!!!!!

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

get it?

and then once you get Muse you can listen to some RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE MUTHAFUCKA UNNGHHH

also try Dredg. More people should listen to Dredg. Amazing band. Kind of progressive, doing concept albums and the like, but still pretty accessible. very emotional, often uplifting (or haunting) music with a bit of an Eastern influence...

http://www.dredgonline.com/audio.shtml this fan site has some rare/unreleased tracks you can download for free. Obviously not all of them are the band's best work, but check out the song Uplifting. If you dig that, maybe look into Catch Without Arms. That's their most poppy record.
Old 10-29-2007, 12:23 PM   #25
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:01 PM
Based on the original post by COBL, I think it might be better to recommend another iconic, clasic artist, than something more niche or modern. Floyd, Beatles, and Bowie sound like a primer course in revolutionary 60's rock acts, so why stop there?

My first choice would be Dylan. As far as accessibility and a good starting point are concerned I would probably go with Highway 61 Revisited, then Blonde on Blonde. His voice won't sound as irritating as it is on some of the earlier albums, and doesn't have the filler like most subsequent releases. The abstract imagery of the songs has much in common with the writing of the other 3 artists mentioned above (and he was certainly a very influence on Beatles & Bowie).

If you really have a distaste for Dylan already and don't want to try this, I'd go with Hendrix. Might as well start with Are You Experienced, but you only need to get his 3 studio albums anyway.
Old 10-29-2007, 01:20 PM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:01 AM
I'm going to recommend singer-songwriter and gifted musician, Garnet Rogers. He's folk but also drifts into rock ,blues, jazz, progressive, as well as classical elements as well. I've been a fan of his for about fifteen years. He just released a new album that is "Get A Witness".. oh it's simply frikkin' incredible. Try him out if you get a chance.

www.garnetrogers.com

Old 10-29-2007, 01:33 PM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by AtomicBono

get it?

and then once you get Muse you can listen to some RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE MUTHAFUCKA UNNGHHH

also try Dredg. More people should listen to Dredg. Amazing band. Kind of progressive, doing concept albums and the like, but still pretty accessible. very emotional, often uplifting (or haunting) music with a bit of an Eastern influence...

http://www.dredgonline.com/audio.shtml this fan site has some rare/unreleased tracks you can download for free. Obviously not all of them are the band's best work, but check out the song Uplifting. If you dig that, maybe look into Catch Without Arms. That's their most poppy record.

Old 10-29-2007, 02:26 PM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:01 PM
Old 10-29-2007, 02:40 PM   #29
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:01 PM
Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say I Am... (brit pop with a little edge)

Ben Folds Five (not new but he's still around doing other stuff)

Feist - Mushaboom

Fiona Apple - extraordinary machine

(I don't usually like female singers but these last two are AMAZING)

Foo Fighters - start with The Colour and the Shape (Dave Grohl likes to scream a little but there's lots of not screaming too!)

The Fratellis (more brit pop)

The Housemartins (ska - again, not new but worth it)

The Kooks - Inside In/Inside Out

The Mountain Goats - The Sunset Tree (you might not like, but it's worth a shot)

Nick Drake - Pink Moon (dreamy)

Pete Yorn - Day I Forgot or Music For The Morning After (sad and soulful IMHO)

The Shins - Chutes Too Narrow (brit pop) hmm.... sensing a theme

I assume you know The Mamas and The Papas, The Who, The Doors, The Pretenders, Prince, REM, The Police, The Clash, Talking Heads, etc. These are some of my personal "Icons of Rock Music". Good luck in your quest!
Old 10-29-2007, 05:23 PM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

What should a crazed Smiths fan recommend...

Listen to the Smiths...and Morrissey, everyone should listen to them, they are just completely amazing. The Queen Is Dead is probably the best Smiths album to start with. As for You Are The Quarry, Viva Hate or maybe his best of Suedehead, got that for 5 euro one day one of the best purchases I ever made.