rec reading

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Liesje

Blue Crack Addict
Friday I'm heading to Gulf Shores, Alabama for a week on the beach. I really like to read nonstop when I'm on vacation. My favorite is Patricia Cornwell, but I've read all of her books. Anyone know of any good murder/suspense novels (true stories or fiction)? My other favorite series is Lonesome Dove/Comanche Moon/Dead Man's Walk/Streets of Laredo by Larry McMurtry. I prefer "rec reading" as opposed to stuff with actual artistic or philosophical substance (for vacation reading, anyway). Please recommend....

Have fun! I love the Gulf Shores. I don't read mysteries. How about Ya Ya Sisterhood. Or Little Alters Everywhere. Both sequels are so sweet and Southern.

Thanks for the suggestions so far! I've gotta hit the library soon b/c I have some fines :reject:

u2valleygirl said:
Have fun! I love the Gulf Shores.

I love it too, although it was hit really REALLY hard by Ivan. The beach house we rent w/ a bunch of other families was one of few that was still standing (though it needed months of repairs). They've told us to expect it to be about 40% back. My sibs and their friends are all leaving Wednesday to spend a few days helping the cleanup/rebuild.

I'd recommend THE BROKER, John Grisham's latest legal thriller, although this one is not as "legal" as most of them; it is not a murder mystery either, but it is definitely a suspense novel. If you are vacationing, you should be able to finish it 2 days. #1 on NYT last week. Stay away from your John Calvin writings and Rick Warren's PURPOSE DRIVEN LIFE while on vacation!

Not a murder mystery and not suspenseful, another good novel is Tom Wolfe's current novel I AM CHARLOTTE SIMMONS, an intriguing fictional account of life at a fictional university. It is very long; I only finished about 200 of the nearly 700 pages while sitting on another beach last week.

The hosue we usually stay in at Orange Beach (next to Gulf Shores) is still out of use due to minor Ivan damage, so we skipped our annual Orange Beach Spring Break and went to our other beach in Walton County, Florida. I hear Perdido Key took quite a hit. I would suggest some fried crab claws at Doc's Oyster Bar & Seafood Restaurant on Canal Road, and a grouper sandwich at the Shrimp Basket on Perdido Key or in Gulf Shores (I think they have both opened back up; Doc's is open for sure).

Have a great vacation. Mine was too short.

~U2Alabama

Back
Top Bottom