Reading? Still Sexy: Books Part IV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Posting this, hoping I wont get bashed up :lol:...but I think I have fallen in love with Sophie Kinsella...I have only read one of the shoppohlic books and I prob wont read the rest of the series, but the one off's make me laugh. Just finshed re reading Twenties Girl and Remember Me?

Cool thing about this thread is that nobody really mocks anyone's book choices. Hell, even Lazarus doesn't, for whatever reason.

I guess the small pockets of the literate need to stick together, regardless of who likes what.

:)

Posting this, hoping I wont get bashed up :lol:...but I think I have fallen in love with Sophie Kinsella...I have only read one of the shoppohlic books and I prob wont read the rest of the series, but the one off's make me laugh. Just finshed re reading Twenties Girl and Remember Me?

I really enjoy a lot of her books. That fricking Shopaholic series .... every time I start a new one, I'm rolling my eyes and thinking "God, this girl is SUCH a fucking twit, why do I keep reading these," but by halfway through the book, damned if Kinsella hasn't charmed the socks off me, and pulled off something clever to make me like the character and the series again.

I haven't read Twenties Girl yet ... will likely get around to it eventually!

I'm reading Cleopatra's Daughter by Michelle Moran. Other than Caesarion I didn't know what happened to Cleopatra's other children. It's an interesting read and it contains an index with Roman/Latin, Egyptian, and Greek terms referenced in the book. :nerd:

As the smartass in my 12th grade English class responded when the teacher said, "Movies are never as good as the book."
"Well, you've obviously never read a Fletch book."

I f-n LOL'd.

I'm a huge fan of the Fletch movies, and only started reading Gregory McDonald a couple years ago. The guy is a GREAT writer, hilarious stuff that made me realize Chevy Chase did not create the snappy one-liner nature of the character.

His books outside of the Fletch series are great as well, including a young adults book called Safekeeping.

He also has a multi-volume work of "serious" fiction with some interesting narrative experimentation in his works A World Too Wide, Exits and Entrances and Merely players.

This was almost as difficult for me to read as the book.

This book is for the guy who approaches my desk in skinny jeans, a "vintage" t-shirt, and a vest and says he's looking for "a particular novel by Bret Easton Ellis."

Just stop. Please. Just say you want a book, it's fine. No one will think any less of you.

Not only was it published, Pearl, but it's going to be a movie very soon, complete with a douchbag "indie" soundtrack, no doubt.

Brett Easton Ellis is a supreme douchebag, and after reading a couple interviews, have pretty much boycotted him from any future reading list.

I did enjoy the film version of The Rules of Attraction, though.

Cool thing about this thread is that nobody really mocks anyone's book choices. Hell, even Lazarus doesn't, for whatever reason.

Help me promote Christopher Priest you jackass.

Girls of Riyadh by Rajaa Alsanea

The lives and loves and friendship of a handful of young Saudi women.

Entertaining at first, but then it got to the point where I started thinking "yes, yes, we get it - they're just like us!"

Not sorry I read it, but bummed I didn't like it more.

My Kindle is gathering dust while I read actual books.

I'll dust it off for upcoming trips.

I don't like digital books; book stores are fun and I like the idea of owning the actual book and having it on my shelf.

I guess the small pockets of the literate need to stick together, regardless of who likes what.

:)

yeah, not even you made fun of my penchant for fantasy novels. but that might be because you know elminster will eat your face.

At The Mountains of Madness by HP Lovecraft

Took me far longer to get through than it should have, which I attribute to being because it's the first thing I read on my Kindle. It's part of a collection of essentially everything Lovecraft wrote that I bought on Kindle for a few bucks. Because it was just one of many pieces in the collection, I never had a firm grasp of how far along I actually was on the Kindle, which really bothered me for some reason. I guess a lot of times I'll keep reading a book because I know I'm close to the end of a chapter, or something like that. Much more difficult to do on a Kindle.

Anyways, I've read a lot of Lovecraft, but had never read this. Considering it's one of his much more popular titles, and still somewhat being pitched by Guillermo del Toro as a film, I wanted to finally read it. It was fairly similar to most of his other writing, which was a good thing, but the setting in Antarctica made it feel unique and fresh. I enjoyed it, despite not enjoying reading it on the Kindle.

I'll know to stick away from buying and reading collections on the Kindle in the future. Wish they just used pages instead of percentages.

Are you getting paid for each time you type the word "Kindle"?

KindleKindleKindleKindleKindleKindleKindleKindleKindleKindleKindleKindleKindleKindleKindleKindleKindleKindleKindleKindleKindleKindleKindleKindleKindle

One of the unintentional results of writing a sentence, doing some work for 5 minutes, coming back and writing another sentence with only a vague memory of what you wrote before, going back to work, etc. The next book I'll read will be that old-timey paper kind, so no worries on that review.

First Game of Thrones book, then we'll see. I actually have wanted to read The Prestige for quite some time.

It's a lot of fun. Very different from the movie aside from the basic plot points, so you won't feel like it's a redundant experience.

NSW gave it two horns up.

I'm not a huge readin' type of guy (at least not fiction. I prefer non fiction), but I might change my ways. Either way, just read The Psychopath Test by Jon Ronson. Very good

Mofo, Lovecraft is one of the few fiction writers I'm interested in reading. Where to start?

I've read two of Lovecraft's stories, and they've both kept me from going to sleep easily. The first I read was The Shadow Out Of Time, and then just recently At The Mountains of Madness, and enjoyed both as a relative novice to the universe.

edit- :doh: oh I guess mofo just wrote about reading Madness. On his Kindle.

I don't own a Kindle, I do old-timey reading.

But if I had a Kindle, I'd likely use it for long trips. That's if I owned a Kindle

150 pages into A Dance with Dragons. 2 words thus far:

Jon Snow

Mofo, Lovecraft is one of the few fiction writers I'm interested in reading. Where to start?

With your bizarre, and downright dangerous love of creatures, I think you'd probably like him quite a bit.

If you have an e-reader, you can buy a collection of everything he ever wrote for just a few dollars (I believe the conversion rate makes this 31 maple leaves). If not, I like this collection quite a bit:

Amazon.com: The Best of H. P. Lovecraft: Bloodcurdling Tales of Horror and the Macabre (9781453875100): H.P. Lovecraft: Books

If you're asking specific stories inside of one of those collections, I'd have to think about it.

I've read two of Lovecraft's stories, and they've both kept me from going to sleep easily. The first I read was The Shadow Out Of Time, and then just recently At The Mountains of Madness, and enjoyed both as a relative novice to the universe.

edit- :doh: oh I guess mofo just wrote about reading Madness. On his Kindle.

Good choices. Yes, Kindle.

Kindle. Kindle.

I wish just one fucking bastard would say to me "You never stfu about Gene Wolfe. Enough already, I'll try one of his books. Which one should I try?"

Well, to be fair, Uberbeaver took the plunge, but he doesn't count.

Kindle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom