Reading Is Sexy: Books Part III - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-15-2009, 12:41 PM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:32 PM
Reading Is Sexy: Books Part III

Continue talking about books.

It's what Rory would have wanted...

Old 07-15-2009, 01:52 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 09:32 PM
I'm trying to finish In Cold Blood for a lame book club I started (we read all the classics that we didn't read in school.) Unfortunately I haven't picked it up in about 5 days and I was supposed to finish it last Thursday.

I'm a horrible founder.

Old 07-15-2009, 06:19 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I'm about to read it for the fourth time.
Old 07-16-2009, 01:35 AM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSW
I need to get to Infinite Jest, been staring at it for months now when I choose what to read next.
Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem
I need to keep an eye out for a used copy of IJ; I'd definitely like to give it a try one of these days.
Both of you do. Cori, if you don't happen upon a used copy, I think the 10th anniversary edition is only $10. Your av is fantastic, btw.

I mentioned it briefly earlier, but I'm getting through it with the push of Infinite Summer behind me. 10 pages per day over the course of 3 months (of course, more than that to get ahead is fine, and what I'm doing) and you're finished with it. Pretty easy, and probably one of the only ways I'd have motivation to do this.

Here's the schedule: Infinite Summer » Blog Archive » The Schedule
Old 07-16-2009, 02:55 AM   #5
Loungeroom Dancing Queen

Local Time: 11:32 AM
Quote:
"The Kite Runner"

Excellent! I felt every emotion possible while reading this book. Sadness, hate, anger, excitement, yearning, you name it. The character Assef is the most evil character I ever came across in a story, I totally hate him.

Now, I am onto "The Mermaid Chair" by Sue Monk Kidd.
Agree absolutely Pearl . . . .Beautiful writing, gorgeously drawn characters and ultimately a book of incredible hope - loved it

Quote:
I loved that book! ItĀ“s fantastic. If you havenĀ“t read it yet, you should read "A Thousand Splendid Suns" by the same author.
Ditto Niamh . . . with sparkly bits on top - he really is a fantastic author . . . able to find the humanity in even the most horrendous of circumstances

(apologies for hatchet quote job . .. still haven't wrapped my head around quoting from one thread to another )
Old 07-16-2009, 09:11 AM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 11:32 AM
I've always been meaning to hop into this thread, but never really did for various reasons.

Now that it's a new thread, on the other hand...

So, what do we do here? I'm currently reading A Kierkegaard Anthology and also just purchased two (yay!) new books: Neil Gaiman's American Gods and a book called The Bible Unearthed, which I mainly bought as a resource for my uni work.
Old 07-16-2009, 11:30 AM   #7
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 05:32 PM
What do we do here? We talk about books we like, books we are currently reading, books we want to read.
Old 07-16-2009, 11:34 AM   #8
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:32 PM
We do exactly what you just did. Tell each other what we're reading, and what we think of the books we have read. Ask for suggestions, sometimes.

I just picked up Wuthering Heights, as I hadn't read it in a long time. I bought a copy a month ago, but yesterday when I was going through my books that are in boxes and not on shelves, I saw a very old copy of the book. Whoops. If anyone's looking for a copy, I'm happy to send it to you. Otherwise I'll keep it in the pile of stuff I'm planning to sell, once I get around to having a garage sale.
Old 07-16-2009, 04:09 PM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life

Man, I've been so bad lately. I can't get into any books. I'll start one, read a chapter and stop. I FAIL.
Old 07-16-2009, 04:20 PM   #10
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2isthebest View Post
Man, I've been so bad lately. I can't get into any books. I'll start one, read a chapter and stop. I FAIL.
It's hard to focus on books when you're walking/working the streets all night.
Old 07-16-2009, 04:53 PM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by No spoken words View Post
It's hard to focus on books when you're walking/working the streets all night.
I should've guessed this was coming. Welcome back...douchebag.
Old 07-16-2009, 04:57 PM   #12
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2isthebest View Post
I should've guessed this was coming. Welcome back...douchebag.
Old 07-17-2009, 05:14 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

I've read about 600 pages of Pillars of the Earth and I really want to give up but I'm only about 400 pages from the end. It's just way too soap opera-ish for my liking.

Has anyone here read "A Happy Marriage" by Rafael Yglesias? I've read some awesome reviews of it, so I'd like to give it a try.
Old 07-17-2009, 05:19 PM   #14
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
I've read about 600 pages of Pillars of the Earth and I really want to give up but I'm only about 400 pages from the end. It's just way too soap opera-ish for my liking.
So help me, I went through the same thing a few months ago with that book....I might have even posted about it in the last thread of this variety. I kept wanting to stop after about 350 pages but I rarely do that, so I kept going....and going....and going....and it never got any better.
Old 07-17-2009, 05:28 PM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
So help me, I went through the same thing a few months ago with that book....I might have even posted about it in the last thread of this variety. I kept wanting to stop after about 350 pages but I rarely do that, so I kept going....and going....and going....and it never got any better.
I know, right?? And now I feel stupid quitting having read more than half of it. I should have known better as soon as I saw that Oprah sticker on the front.
Old 07-17-2009, 05:33 PM   #16
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
I know, right?? And now I feel stupid quitting having read more than half of it. I should have known better as soon as I saw that Oprah sticker on the front.
Oprah liked The Road, though, so I try to keep that in mind before dismissing her stamp of approval.

I had it lying around for years, a few people I know seemed to like it....I like books from that time period, churches fascinate me, etc......I had read another title by him that I kinda liked.......but, yeah, 1/3 of the way in and I knew it was going to not get any better, but, like an idiot, I kept going.

Though, since then, just about every book I've read has been good to excellent.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:03 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Oprah liked The Road, though, so I try to keep that in mind before dismissing her stamp of approval.
I can't stand Cormac McCarthy.

It's his style, it bothers me to the point where his work is unreadable. A lot of my friends loved The Road, and I have it a good go, but just didn't enjoy it at all.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:10 PM   #18
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
I can't stand Cormac McCarthy.

It's his style, it bothers me to the point where his work is unreadable. A lot of my friends loved The Road, and I have it a good go, but just didn't enjoy it at all.
I know a few people who are inveterate readers who cannot stand him either.
Old 07-18-2009, 12:09 AM   #19
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:32 PM
I'm guessing that Howard Roark is going to be the most successful architect ever. This is my prediction from page 41 out of 727 from The Fountainhead.
Old 07-18-2009, 12:54 AM   #20
Neon Zebra

Quote:
She also put that infernal stamp on White Oleander and Million Little Pieces which are a couple of my favorites.

The first time I tried reading The Road I couldn't get into it. I picked it up a couple years later and for the first time in all my years of reading, I read an entire book in one sitting.