Reading Is Sexy: Books Part III

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone read before i die by jenny downham?

I'm in line to read it after my mother and her friend have read it.

I think I read that - Young Adult novel with POV of a teenaged girl who's dying, right? It wasn't bad.

The Alternative Hero by Tim Thornton

As a music nut, I loved this book at first: the narrator discovers that his old fallen Britpop idol is living near him, and tries to see what he can do to get an interview and tries to get the story of what happened at the disastrous, career-ending final gig of the Thieving Magpies.

Then I got really irritated by the main character and the old rock star, and skimmed the second half of the book.

Oh well.

I think I read that - Young Adult novel with POV of a teenaged girl who's dying, right? It wasn't bad.

The Alternative Hero by Tim Thornton

As a music nut, I loved this book at first: the narrator discovers that his old fallen Britpop idol is living near him, and tries to see what he can do to get an interview and tries to get the story of what happened at the disastrous, career-ending final gig of the Thieving Magpies.

Then I got really irritated by the main character and the old rock star, and skimmed the second half of the book.

Oh well.

Cori

You should read Espedair Street by Iain Banks.

Aww beegee :hug: I'm sure its just because us Australians aren't sophisticated enough to enjoy it :wink:

I guess the literature world will shun Anna and I.

:lol:

Poor beegee. Folks like us make her heart cry, Rochelle :D

I think my viewpoint on this one is what it is because of my past endeavours in criminological avenues. Fictional crime is just not my thing.
:reject:

These are the books I have to read for me Intro to Fiction class:

The Castle of Otranto by Horace Walpole
Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen
“Carmilla” by Sheridan Le Fanu
The Beetle by Richard Marsh
“The Lifted Veil” by George Eliot
Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman

Anyone read them, thoughts?

I'm psyched for the Gaiman, and apparently "Carmilla" is a vampire story, so cool. I hope someone glitters.

Neverwhere is a lot of fun.

Currently reading This Side of Paradise and fucking loving it. Beyond Gatsby, I only know Fitzgerald's short-fiction, so I'm going back and taking in his novels now. With people like him and Jeff Buckley its always such an odd experience enjoying their work, as at the same time you feel an immense sadness for what we didn't get from them. Particularly Buckley as he'd still be alive now.

As much as I love Jane Austen, I have to admit I've attempted to read Northanger Abbey several times, but have yet to finish it. Maybe I should attempt it again. I really love all her other stuff, but this one hasn't been able to keep my attention yet.

Neverwhere is one of my favorite books I've read in years from a "fun and entertaining" standpoint. I flew through it, so did everyone else I know who's read it. I recommend all of his novels, entertaining stuff.

Yeah, I'm really psyched to dive into the Gaiman novel... not so much the Jane Austen one. I didn't know my class focused on Gothic lit when I signed up for it, but I'm sure it'll be worthwhile.

Yeah, I read it a few months ago. It was hilarious! :lol: Normally I don't like butcherings of Jane Austen, but this was just so outlandish it made me laugh. The illustrations were icing on the cake.

These are the books I have to read for me Intro to Fiction class:

The Castle of Otranto by Horace Walpole
Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen
“Carmilla” by Sheridan Le Fanu
The Beetle by Richard Marsh
“The Lifted Veil” by George Eliot
Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman

Anyone read them, thoughts?

Northanger Abbey may cause you to act out random violence. I think I've read The Beetle, and I think I liked it. Something about it is saying in my head, "ÿou read this and you liked it..." but it would have been a while ago. I may be mistaking it with something else though.

and that ends a Really Useful Post.
:lol:

How are the rest of the books in the series? This is my first foray into the SciFi genre and I was pleasantly surprised. The person who recommended it to me said it's one of the best in the genre. Do you agree?

I have read better, but, Ender's Game certainly was entertaining. I liked the sequel better. The third book I also enjoyed, titled Xenocide. After that, for me, it went downhill but opinions will vary. I stopped after the sixth book.

Knowing that I enjoyed Ender's Game, which books from the genre would you recommend?

Nothing leaps to mind, Ender's Game is fairly unique. But it's fast paced, so....

Maybe try Spin by Robert Charles Wilson. The plots are not alike, but you might like it.

Anyone with a passing interest in Sci-Fi ought to read Dune, of course. But, that book is a lot slower paced than Ender's Game. Still, a seminal work.

I could go on and on but then I'd not really be answering your specific question, I'd just be naming sci-fi books or authors I like.

Yeah, I assume that's part of the problem I'm going to run into. I liked Ender's Game because it was fast paced and didn't bother to go into much detail about the actual "scifi" aspects of the story. I can't imagine I'd have much patience for that.

Is the slower pace of Dune due to a greater focus on scifi description or to story and character development? I could get into that.

Yeah, I assume that's part of the problem I'm going to run into. I liked Ender's Game because it was fast paced and didn't bother to go into much detail about the actual "scifi" aspects of the story. I can't imagine I'd have much patience for that.

Is the slower pace of Dune due to a greater focus on scifi description or to story and character development? I could get into that.

A little of both. Dune touches on religious, ecological and political issues. There's more to it than meets the eye. There are a lot of sci-fi elements to it, too, though they are presented intelligently and they are part of the fabric of the story, not an excuse to write a story, if that makes sense. Still, it never lacks for character development, at least as far as the true main character goes. There's a great story there, too.

Spin moves quickly but certainly is very much rooted in sci-fi. There's much character development, though.

Wiki them and maybe read a bit of a synopsis and see if they are of interest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom