re: elevator love letters, setting yourself on fire, etc.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoomerang96

ONE love, blood, life
re: elevator love letters, setting yourself on fire, etc.

aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

last night was amazing. i had the priviledge of seeing three really amazing acts at a club in the city last night...

who were they, you ask?

:wink:

stars, apostle of hustle, and montag. i was impressed with montag, and apostle of hustle were excellent too.

but the rest of my praise must be directed towards stars.

amy is beautiful. even if she's wearing a tie.

their two front-wo/men have great stage presence, and the entire band was really into it. the crowd was thanked repeatedly for staying up so late on a monday night.

which was the only thing that pissed me off. the first opening act came on at 10, and stars wasn't on until after midnight.

all that meant i was home at 3:30 and had about 3 hours of sleep for work today. luckily i survived.

now i know cujo's been fortunate enough to see them, but what about anyone else?

lmjhitman missed out, but what about you skeek?

it's imperitative the rest of you make every attempt to see these guys and gals.

i just woke up from a nap, so none of this reads well. i guess that's nothing new. :wink:

Zoomerang96 said:
lmjhitman missed out

thanks for the reminder :angry:

i really wanted to hear ageless beauty, elevator love letter, look up and one more night.

glad you had a good time though. :up:

i will have to live vicariously through you.

:drool:

Elvis Presley said:
where are the pics!!!1111!!

i tried recording some shit on my cell, but it sounds horrible. and no pics.

of course you weren't serious, but still. i need to yell at you anyway.

Re: Re: re: elevator love letters, setting yourself on fire, etc.

lmjhitman said:

thanks for the reminder :angry:

i really wanted to hear ageless beauty, elevator love letter, look up and one more night.

glad you had a good time though. :up:

i will have to live vicariously through you.

:drool:

you're the not the only one. :wink:

I've only heard one song by Stars, but I quite enjoyed it. I promise to look into them more.

:angry:

oh and you must!

which song?

i can't believe how much better they sound live than on record. that says a lot, i think anyway, considering i really like their album material.

download:

ageless beauty
he lied about death
elevator love letters
on peak hill
soft revolution

I'll vouch for The Stars' smooth translation to the live setting. That was expected. What I wasn't prepared for was how well Apostle of Hustle would be able to project Folkloric Feel in the concert medium. I loved it.

I posted this review on another site...

There is really something special about the festival atmosphere of the Exclaim tour (similar to the nomad Canadian tours of recent, like Broken Social Scene, The Arcade Fire, The Stills, etc.)... it's obvious when you look at the interchangeable line-ups, and the cameos that are placed in each performance. The hierarchy and lameness of concert order diminishes quickly when you see the neophites play along side the headliners, and vice-versa. That happened a few times when the female vocalist for The Stars made appearances with both Montag and Apostle of Hustle.

The musicianship of Apostle of Hustle was the standout part of the night for me. Of course, everyone was top choice. The Star's Evan Cranley is now a personal hero of mine... I couldn't believe how crisp and (harm me for saying) innovative his bass-playing was last night. Ageless Beauty, Soft Revolution, The First Five Times, and Celebration Guns were extremely well done live. I feel bad for not having many negative things to say, but honestly the whole set was awesome. The male/female vocal exchanges were as potent as they were on record... which seems to be the testament for the current Canadian "indie" cadre. It's a very interesting sound and something I'd like to hear more of... sadly it's a musical export that not everyone has heard. Great night of music nonetheless.

Oh, and I bought a Folkloric Feel shirt from Montag as he manned the merchandise table after his performance.

Canadian music scene.

I was too lazy to write something different.

:up:

I also suggest Celebration Guns for the downloading. If only there were some live Apostle of Hustle mp3's.

Elvis Presley, do your magic.

:sexywink:

excellent review, cujo. i agree.

but did you think it was too loud? a few of us were wondering about it...

Fuck no.

Excuse me, but I had to say it.

The sound was the best I've ever heard at a concert. The balance of instruments with the percussion and vocals really projected well across the whole room. Like I said before... the bass was so clear and legible. But then again, I was at a venue where you could lounge at the soundboard and still have an awesome view of the stage. Where the sound engineer sits is the best place to be sonically, in my experience. Less teenagers too.

:up:

There were a few mishaps with the lead guitar, where changing effects was kind of sloppy... but I didn't find the sound to be excessively loud at all.

yeah, i was impressed too.

i guess just in comparison with the other two acts, they seemed a lot louder. not too loud in my opinion, but worth noting nonetheless.

anyway, not worth talking about. i got your email with your clip, i'll listen to it tommorow and let you know what i think. thanks. :up:

oh and btw, you should tab elevator love letters for me. :wink:

I saw Stars back in january or february. They were pretty great live, but I didn't think spectacular... a bit self-important but still overall really good. I was also in a terrible terrible mood when I saw them, so that might have led to me enjoying them a little less than I might have.
Ever notice that One More Night has exactly the same prominent bassline as Symbolistic White Walls by the Matt Goode Band?

i was not aware, though i can't say i've heard that song by mgb.

speaking of self-important...

it's a good mgb song, dude.. check it out, yo. rather old. it has a line about overpriced bubblegum which is how i remembered the song for about 5 years before the internet came a long and helped me figure out what it actually was, fo sheezie.

and stop calling me self important.

Back
Top Bottom