Rather Ripped vs At War With The Mystics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LemonMelon

More 5G Than Man
I'm seeing the Flips + Sonic Youth August 28th, and since these are the albums they're promoting, I figured it would be good to ask which albums you all prefer.

Rather Ripped (Sonic Youth)

or

At War With The Mystics (Flaming Lips)

For me, Mystics is a near masterpiece, and I can't wait to hear them crank these songs out. Ripped is simply one of the most fun SY albums I've heard. Lots of good melodies and strong songs with sensible jamming. Should be fun. :drool:

Got to give my vote to Mystics though. :rockon:

Last edited:
LemonMelon said:

For me, Mystics is a near masterpiece

Hmm, I can understand someone saying this about Solf Bulletin or Yoshimi, but it almost hurts my eyes to see that written about Mystics. I'd consider it one of the most disappointing albums of the year myself.

:huh:

I don't think I've ever heard a single Sonic Youth track, but I just popped in to say that Mystics is a fantastic album that has only gotten better the more I've listened to it.

Free Radicals :drool:

inmyplace13 said:
I don't think I've ever heard a single Sonic Youth track, but I just popped in to say that Mystics is a fantastic album that has only gotten better the more I've listened to it.

Free Radicals :drool:

:rockon:

Sound of Failure is :drool:

That's a good one too.

I still love The WAND (it's my ringtone, actually). Mr Ambulance Driver is a great track, so is My Cosmic Autumn Rebellion. I'm a big fan of Goin' On too.

I think it was an extremely solid album. I might go as far to say I like it as much as the Soft Bulletin.

Seeing Wayne and the boys for the first time next month. They're the highlight of my ACL Fest weekend.

I like both bands, but I'm more a Sonic Youth girl, and about their lastest albums, Rather Ripped is better

plus: this time is the original Sonic Youth line-up! I miss Jim O'Rourke, though, he's a genius

I pulled my feelings on At War With the Mystics directly out of the allmusic review because I think they word it as well as I ever could:

These trippy moments make At War with the Mystics the most psychedelic and least immediate album the Flaming Lips have done in a long, long time, and the way that Mystics bounces back and forth between its ethereal and zany moments gives it a disjointed, uneven feel that makes the album a shade less satisfying than either Yoshimi or Soft Bulletin.

That's easily my biggest problem with the album, it doesn't flow well. This is a big issue for me because the whole reason I loved the last two records was because of how great they both worked as entire albums with a fantastic flow and theme. This record just doesn't have that (nor does How to Dismantle An Atomic Bomb, which is the exact same reason I'm still somewhat disappointed with it also). I think all the songs on this (and Atomic Bomb) are all good on their own right, I just don't think they work all that well shoved together as one album. The Flaming Lips record in particular seems like 2 or possibly 3 albums or themes misjointedly shoved together as one album. It's distracting to listen to it as a whole for me (which is how I normally isten to music), and that's my biggest beef with it. I do like all the tracks, I just don't like them all together.

So yeah, that's why I consider it disappointing compared to their last two albums. That said, I too have been obsessed with a number of tracks from the album.

u2popmofo said:
I pulled my feelings on At War With the Mystics directly out of the allmusic review because I think they word it as well as I ever could:

These trippy moments make At War with the Mystics the most psychedelic and least immediate album the Flaming Lips have done in a long, long time, and the way that Mystics bounces back and forth between its ethereal and zany moments gives it a disjointed, uneven feel that makes the album a shade less satisfying than either Yoshimi or Soft Bulletin.

That's easily my biggest problem with the album, it doesn't flow well. This is a big issue for me because the whole reason I loved the last two records was because of how great they both worked as entire albums with a fantastic flow and theme. This record just doesn't have that (nor does How to Dismantle An Atomic Bomb, which is the exact same reason I'm still somewhat disappointed with it also). I think all the songs on this (and Atomic Bomb) are all good on their own right, I just don't think they work all that well shoved together as one album. The Flaming Lips record in particular seems like 2 or possibly 3 albums or themes misjointedly shoved together as one album. It's distracting to listen to it as a whole for me (which is how I normally isten to music), and that's my biggest beef with it. I do like all the tracks, I just don't like them all together.

So yeah, that's why I consider it disappointing compared to their last two albums. That said, I too have been obsessed with a number of tracks from the album.

Point taken.

I hope this means they'll work especially well in a live setting where there is no theme or continuity required. :yes:

Mystics isn't bad (it's actually quite good), but pales compared to Soft Bulletin and Yoshimi and possibly even Clouds Taste Metallic. Rather Ripped is the best SY album I've heard since Washing Machine. My vote goes to Rather Ripped.

Back
Top Bottom