Rate your Top 5 favorite bands/musicians on a scale of 1-10

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoots

Blue Crack Supplier
I'm using my last.fm Top 5.

U2 8.5/10 - would definitely be higher if not for the good but average last 2 albums.

The Beatles 10/10 - I can't find any fault with these guys, I just can't!

Red Hot Chili Peppers 8/10 - Great band but I'm not a fan of many of their lyrics from the early years. On the other hand, I love their mature side even though certain songs from Stadium are too mellow for their personality!

Tori Amos 9/10 - Exceptional singer/songwriter who IMO has not delivered a single bad album including The Beekeeper which I love. Venus still hasn't fully grown on me though!

Pearl Jam 9/10 - Excellent band that consistently delivers quality rock music! Would be higher if not for some weird shit like Stupid Mop and Untitled (Red Dot)

the beatles 10/10 - just because

u2 9/10 - my favourite band that existed while i was young. i cannot give them as good marks as the beatles, though.

radiohead 9/10 - i cannot rate them lower than u2.

r.e.m. 8/10 - great band, but its been a while since i've listened to them.

wilco 8/10 - a great musical discovery i made some months ago.

I'll use my last.fm too...

Beck 9.5/10 - Brilliant artist. I don't know if there's an album of his that I don't enjoy. Definitely one of the geniuses of this generation. :yes:

The Beatles 10/10 - Uh...they're the Beatles. 'Nuff said.

Wilco 7/10 - I haven't heard much by them, but they seem to be a pretty good band. :up:

Arcade Fire 8.5/10 - They haven't made a bad album yet, and they're one of the most inspired bands in rock. They're awesome.

The Kinks 9/10 - Classic band. Their stretch of brilliant albums from the mid 60's to the early 70's is mind-bending.

U2Man said:
um, where's radiohead in yours? :ohmy:

This is my last.fm Top 10

1. U2
2. The Beatles
3. RHCP
4. Tori Amos
5. Pearl Jam
6. Oasis
7. Keane
8. Pink Floyd
9. Radiohead
10. REM

I love Radiohead but cannot listen to them all the time. Sometimes I want cheerful/upbeat music. :wink:

anyone who listens more to oasis and rhcp than radiohead should have his or her behind whipped.

U2Man said:
anyone who listens more to oasis and rhcp than radiohead should have his or her behind whipped.

I wouldn't mind getting spanked. :drool:

by the right person of course! :eyebrow:

Pink Floyd - 9
Genesis - 9
U2 - 7
Radiohead - 8
Air - 8
Red Hot Chilli Peppers - 7
Weather Report - 10
The Doors - 10
Queen - 7

u2 - 10
Led zeppelin - 9.5
The rolling stones - 7
David gray - 6
Jimi hendrix - 5

Radiohead - 11
Wilco - 10
The Beatles - 10
80's U2 - 9
90's U2 - 10
00's U2 - 6
Coldplay until 2005 - 9
Coldplay post 2005 - 7

U2 - 9/10 - as a band they're one of the best ever and they're in my life for a long time

Muse - 9/10 - three amazing musicians, two wonderful albums, they're young, they still have to work but in my opinion they are one of the best bands of the moment (specially live)

Franz Ferdinand - 5/10 - they're not a great band, they're not unique but they don't want to be that either, they just want to have a good time and entertain people. Their live shows are can put anyone in a good mood...

The Arcade Fire - 8/10 - amazing... I'm waiting to see them live. Both albums are great with beautiful and rich songs.

Belle & Sebastian - 8/10 - the sweetest band ever... They're always surprising me. The songs are just so cute and childlike but some lyrics are very sad and melancholic...

1) The Beatles- 10/10. No comments required.
2) Steely Dan-10/10. The most sophisticated band in rock music.
3) The Who-10/10. The most dynamic band in rock music.
4) Stevie Wonder (1972-1976)-10/10. The sequence of those five albums is unparalleled in recent musical history.
5) Bruce Springsteen-10/10. One of the greatest songwriters and performers ever.

inmyplace13 said:
Radiohead - 11
Wilco - 10
The Beatles - 10
80's U2 - 9
90's U2 - 10
00's U2 - 6
Coldplay until 2005 - 9
Coldplay post 2005 - 7

Yes Radiohead go up to eleven :up:

Wow. This is an awesome thread.

Baring in mind this list is ever-changing:

The Beatles - 10.0

They're the fucking Beatles. No one will ever surpass let alone equal them. Therefore no one else can ever score a 10.

U2 - 9.5

My favorite band of all time, despite The Beatles being the BEST ever. Still haven't seen a show that comes close to matching U2's live performances. They've made some of the most passionate and breath-taking songs in the history of popular music.

Radiohead - 9.3

They're Radiohead. Dare I say it...almost like a modern day Beatles. They're ever-evolving and constantly surprising. And almost all of their shit is amazing. If it weren't for just a few weak points in their career, they would be nearly perfect.

The Arcade Fire - 8.3

Sincerely one of my all-time favorite bands. Funeral is very dear to my heart. And Neon Bible is destined to become a classic. It's really one of the most solid, engaging, and interesting albums I've heard in a long time. They're still a young band though, and I really can't rate them much higher than this. If we were judging solely on potential, I'd give them a 9.9 or something ridiculous, because I really do see an AMAZING future in these guys. They're my favorite "new" band.

Wilco - 9.2

This was hard to rate, and I probably should give them a slightly lower score, but yeah, it's weird. I only own two of their albums, YHF and Being There, so I really can't judge them on a whole. They are also the "newest" band on this list in reference to when I discovered them (only listening for a couple weeks now). But I must say already that Yankee Hotel Foxtrot is one of the best albums I've ever heard. Easily in my top 10. It's mindblowing...the songs, the lyrics, the production ( :drool: ). It's THE sound I've always had in my head as to what my perfect album production would sound like, and the sound I will strive for when I record and produce music in the future.

HONORABLE MENTIONS:

Talking Heads - 9.3
The Who - 9.0
Beck - 8.9
R.E.M. - 9.2
David Bowie - 9.5

1. The Beatles - 10

I don't like much of their Moptop-era material, but anything after 1965 is fair game / some of the greatest pop music recorded in the history of mankind.

2. David Bowie - 9.5

He lost me a bit during the late '80s/early '90s, but his body of work is so large and intense to keep me busy for hours... that's what she said.

3. U2 - 9.5

I'm writing on a U2 board.

4. Radiohead - 9

1 point off for the shitty halves of Pablo Honey and Hail to the Thief.

5. Bruce Springsteen - 8.5

The Boss is the best, pure and simple, but there were times where he lost me a little bit (Ghost of Tom Joad anyone?)

My last.fm top five:

1. Pink Floyd - 10

Well? They're fucking incredible, reason enough for the ten.

2. Radiohead - 10

See above.

3. Echo And The Bunnymen - 6.5

A very strong band, but not quite within the 7-10 range. If their catalogue only consisted of their first four albums, then they'd definitely be a ten.

4. Roger Waters - 8.5

Amused To Death alone deserves an 11. But then there's Radio KAOS...so that brings him down a notch. Nonetheless, very impressive solo career from the man behind Pink Floyd's best lyrics and concepts.

5. Queen - 9.5

Simply incredible band with the best rock frontman of all time. Some questionable work in the 80s keeps them from being a 10 for me.

Ack! How could I forget about Springsteen?! I'm not sure if he's in the top five right now.

But he sure rotates in and out...that's what she said.

I'll rate a couple more just for shits and giggles then.

Springsteen - 9.0

Master songwriter, guitar-player and band-leader. He's The Boss. Born to Run is an all-time classic album. The Wild, The Innocent, and the E Street Shuffle is often in my top 5 favorite albums.

Bob Dylan - 9.4

THE master songwriter, but also an incredible musician. Blood on the Tracks, like Bruces TWTWATESS, is often in my top 10 if not top 5.

There should be a rule against abbreviations that spell out TW-TWAT.

Stuttering cuss words crack me up too much.

:lol:

U2 - 8/10
Elvis Costello & The Attractions 8/10
David Bowie 9/10
The Beatles 10/10
Muse 8/10

I am assuming here that my favorite band ever is a 10, and that everyone else is ranked against them; otherwise all of the following would be solid tens.

1. Pink Floyd (10): The ultimate synthesis of rock music with intellect.

2. U2 (9.75): The ultimate synethesis of the agony and the ecstacy of life.

3. Led Zeppelin (9.5): The ultimate synthesis of the sexual and the mystical. This band contains my favorite vocalist, guitarist, and drummer, and, if I were forced to pick a musical utility man, I would would have to go with JPJ.

4. The Who (9.0): Pure energy. In my mind, Townshend is the single greatest song-writer in rock history, and easily one of the most evocative and socially astute lyricists.

5. The Rolling Stones / The Beatles / Peter Gabriel / Oasis / Radiohead / Bruce Springsteen (All 9.0): I simply cannot decide this one; for the time being, I would have to lean towards Radiohead, simply because the combination of OK Computer and Kid A is about as strong as it gets.

Zootlesque said:
Hey LemonMelon! U2 is not in your Top 5? :ohmy:

I haven't listened to much U2 this week...at least on my computer, and I've only been on Last.FM for a couple of weeks total. :shrug:

LemonMelon said:

Average: 6.66666666666666666667

ITZ TEH DEVVVVVILS NUMB3R!! ZOMGZ RADIOHEAD ARE GENEOUS!

I WILL EAT YOU ALL ALIVE I WILL EAT YOU ALL ALIVE I WILL EAT YOU ALL ALIVE

Lancemc said:

ITZ TEH DEVVVVVILS NUMB3R!! ZOMGZ RADIOHEAD ARE GENEOUS!

:lmao:

Actually, if you average it out on a calculator, that's what it comes to. :ohmy:

The Beatles - 10 - A band so far ahead of their time and yet so much a part of their time. Made some of the greatest pop songs ever and some of the greatest concept songs too. Can't really ask for much more from a band

U2 - 9 - A constantly evolving band that seem to always create music that i want to hear. Last couple of albums have been patchy but i still think there's life in the old dogs yet. Although not the best, they're still my favourite band

The Smiths - 9.5 - That perfect combination of great musicianship and fabulous lyrics. In Morrissey and Marr, I don't think there's been a better songwriting partnership since Lennon/McCartney.

Kings Of Leon - 8 - Followed up their excellent debut album with an even better one a couple of years ago which i don't think too many bands over the last few years have managed and they look set to progress their sound even further with the new one. A great rock n roll band gets better and better.

Oasis- 8 - Untouchable from 1994 - 1997. Their B-sides collection (The Masterplan) is a fucking great CD and is superior to most of the albums from that year. They've done little of note since though.

Back
Top Bottom