Rate Your 2006 Gigs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Gift (Portuguese) 11/05 Rating: 5/10

Da Weasel (Portuguese) 11/05 Rating: 2/10 (just because it's an hip-hop band and I hate that... The things you do for your friends:wink: )

Xutos & Pontapés (Portuguese) 13/05 Rating: 6/10

Editors 07/06 Rating: 7/10 (I started to like them when I saw them live)

dEUS 07/06 Rating: 4/10 (They're not bad but it's not my kind of music)

The Cult 07/06 Rating: 4/10

Keane 07/06 Rating: 1/10 (sorry...)

Franz Ferdinand 07/06 Rating: 9.5/10 (I love them...)

The Dandy Warhols 12/08 Rating: 4/10 (They have to work they're performances really hard...)

The Rolling Stones 12/08 Rating: 5/10 (I just went because I'm a very good daughter and my father is a great fan...)

Poet In Process 26/10 Rating: 5/10

Muse 26/10 Rating: 10/10 (I have no words yet...)

2006 was sub-par for me, but here were the highlights:

1) Sufjan Stevens, the Ryman, Nashville - I was roughly five feet from the stage, but in the balcony and at the extreme left of the stage (up against the wall), looking parallel with the front of the stage, and didn't know there was old video footage being projected behind the band until the encore. And I could only see about half of the full string section on the stage until the encore also. I thought there were about eight instrumentalists instead of about twenty, and thought they were adding preprogrammed sounds via synthesizer like U2 does live. I was wrong. All of the sounds were live.

I say all this to let you know that this show was INCREDIBLE, and I only experienced maybe half the show. This show was half Midsummer Night's Dream, half family singalong, and totally inspiring and uplifting. May he keep putting out visionary material.

2) Mute Math, Memphis, April/May show at the New Daisy. They are my favorite "new" band, mostly based on their live shows. Their crowd interaction totally reminds me of early U2. Unfortunately, their most recent show (October?) at the same venue was underwhelming.

3) Strokes, Memphis, New Daisy. This was probably the most intimate Strokes show of the last three years. Seriously. The Strokes had originally been booked at the Orpheum, a good-sized theater. Apparently the notoriously anti-hipster Memphis crowd didn't buy very many tickets, because they moved the show to the small (probably 800 capacity) all-general-admission New Daisy. So there was this small club with a barrier fence in front of the stage, and Fab Moretti's drum riser reached about halfway to the ceiling. The overkill was surreal. The Strokes- petulant, bloated bitches that they are- played about 60 minutes with no encore, as if to spite the town. I suppose that they will never play Memphis again, but it was a treat for those of us that went, if we weren't too insulted by the diva-ness.

4) Wilco, the Ryman, Nashville. Not nearly as good as the proper "Ghost" tour shows, which had killer video accompaniment, this show was still solid, probably largely because of the legendary setting.

5) Counting Crows, Atlanta - Only the second time I've seen them, and this was a much better show than the first, even though the set was short. I had forgotten how much I used to love these guys.

6) Son Volt, Newby's, Memphis - Jay Farrar is one of the few artists I love who is obviously loyal to Memphis. He seems to stop through just about every time he cranks up the tour van. He stopped through twice with his newest embodiment of Son Volt, and the second show was solid. I've seen him several times now, and I finally got to hear Caryatid Easy live. That alone puts that show ahead of most for me.

Other shows of note:
Danielson - Hi-Tone, Memphis
Death Cab & OK Go - Orpheum, Memphis
Lucero - anywhere you can catch them
John Davis (formerly of Superdrag) - Hi-Tone, Memphis

annie_vox said:
The Gift (Portuguese) 11/05 Rating: 5/10

Da Weasel (Portuguese) 11/05 Rating: 2/10 (just because it's an hip-hop band and I hate that... The things you do for your friends:wink: )

Xutos & Pontapés (Portuguese) 13/05 Rating: 6/10

Editors 07/06 Rating: 7/10 (I started to like them when I saw them live)

dEUS 07/06 Rating: 4/10 (They're not bad but it's not my kind of music)

The Cult 07/06 Rating: 4/10

Keane 07/06 Rating: 1/10 (sorry...)

Franz Ferdinand 07/06 Rating: 9.5/10 (I love them...)

The Dandy Warhols 12/08 Rating: 4/10 (They have to work they're performances really hard...)

The Rolling Stones 12/08 Rating: 5/10 (I just went because I'm a very good daughter and my father is a great fan...)

Poet In Process 26/10 Rating: 5/10

Muse 26/10 Rating: 10/10 (I have no words yet...)

ai essa nota aos grandes xutos... concerto de xutos é sempre acima de 8, pelo menos!! :wink: :wink:
mas como gostas de muse estás perdoada...

Depeche Mode (feb, indoor) - Geneva 8.5/10

U2 (March) - Buenos Aires 1 10/10

U2 (March) - Buenos Aires 2 10/10

Depeche Mode (July, outdoor) - Paleo Festival 6.5/10

Placebo (July, outdoor) - Paleo Festival 7/10

The Who's (July, outdoor) - Paleo Festival 9/10

Ben Harper (July, outdoor) - Paleo Festival 6.5/10

Radiohaed (August, outdoor) - Rock Arena Fest. 2/10 (I hated it, very very very bad and disappointing!)

Placebo (November, indoor) - Geneva 8.5/10

Muse (December, indoor) - Geneva 9.5/10 (Almost perfect!!! My favourite bands now with U2 and The Cure)

Good year for me..... very very lucky.... :wink:

U2 - Melbourne 1 (18/12/06)

Rating: 10000000000000000000000000 / 10

It was not only my first U2 gig, but my first rock gig EVER. Will it for the rest of my life.

Halifax said:
U2 - Melbourne 1 (18/12/06)

Rating: 10000000000000000000000000 / 10

It was not only my first U2 gig, but my first rock gig EVER. Will it for the rest of my life.

That's one hell of a first gig! :)

Back
Top Bottom