Rate The Albums You've Played Today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MacPhistoPT

Rock n' Roll Doggie
so I'm copying this thread from the Coldplay board...

post the albums you've played today, and rate them (1-10)

try to post the respective covers :drool:

c'mon, keep this going...

appetite2.jpg
8/10
978.jpg
9.5/10
46.jpg
8/10
527757.jpg
9/10

This is an interesting thread.

R.E.M. - In Time, 7.5/10 (Love REM, but this Best Of could have been a lot better)

Peter Gabriel - Plays Live, 9/10
Chris Isaak - Heart-Shaped World, 8.5/10

Moooooore lists! But I'll give the reasons behind my ratings so as to make it not quite so list-like. I'll try not to ramble on, try being the key word.

closerjd.jpg

Joy Division - Closer (9/10)
My favourite Joy Division album. Brilliantly dark from start to finish. "Atrocity Exhibition" is almost evil-sounding and mechanic in terms of instrumentation, matching the feel of the lyrics completely. There are times when the music sounds a little dated ("Isolation" for instance, is typically 80s) but that doesn't detract from Ian Curtis' genius whatsoever. This album is littered with high points other than the opener, namely Colony, A Means To An End, Twenty Four Hours and The Eternal. Brilliant.

silentalarmbp.jpg

Bloc Party - Silent Alarm (7.9/10)
A very solid debut with a brilliant rhythm section. I think it suffers a little in the lyrics department, but the passion behind the singing carries the songs forward. High energy, straight-forward guitar rock.

animalspf.jpg

Pink Floyd - Animals (10/10)
My favourite album of all time. There isn't a bad song on this album. You'd think that any album having three songs that clock in at 17:08, 11:28 and 10:20 would be unlistenable. You'd think that. But there's such variation throughout that leaves me gripped from beginning until end. AND it comes with a thematic concept as well. How much better could it get? As I said, I don't think there's a single bad song but the highlights would definitely be Dogs and Sheep. Dogs being the perfect interplay between David Gilmour and Roger Waters, complete with some of my favourite Gilmour guitar work. Sheep being a brilliant take on those blinded by religion, containing some of Roger Waters' most cynical lyrics.

takksr.jpg

Sigur Rós - Takk... (8/10)
I've only had this album for a short while, but I've enjoyed it so much. The music is beautiful, the singing is beautiful...all of it is beautiful. I think that after a few more weeks, that rating could be higher. I'm quite addicted to Glósóli, Hoppípolla, Sæglópur, Gong and Andvari. Particularly Andvari. The ending is so simple, but so moving.

a piper at the gates of dawn-9/10
meddle-8/10
i might be wrong (live recordings)-9.5/10
bruce springsteen live at the main point-11/10

Hardcore DEVO Vol. 2 - 7/10
Thom Yorke - The Eraser - 9.5/10
My Bloody Valentine - John Peel Session 1988 - 10/10
My Bloody Valentine - Tremolo EP - 10/10

Sufjan Stevens - Illinoise (9.5/10)
9922024128a06dec858e4010.L.jpg

Feist - Let It Die (7.5/10)
feist-let_it_die.jpg

Most Serene Republic - Phages EP (10/10)
DPRO-007.jpg

Sleater-Kinney - The Woods (8/10)
sleater-kinney_woods.jpg

radiohead_hail_to_the_thief.jpg

Radiohead - Hail to the thief - 8/10 - my radiohead fanship is mainly because of the bends, ok computer and some tracks on kid a... I hadn't listened to this one for a long time, but today I realized I really enjoy this album :? maybe I'll have to give Amnesiac another chance too.

U2Unforgettablefire.jpg

U2 - The Unforgettable Fire - 9.5/10 - masterpiece. the precedent to Joshua Tree. one of my favourite albums, but does not deserve 10/10 because "Elvis Presley and America" really sucks. "A Sort of Homecoming", "The Unforgettable Fire", "Promenade" and "Bad" are the highlights, really really beautiful songs.

The Smiths - The Queen Is Dead 9.5/10

From the beauty of I Know It's Over to the novelty of Frankly Mr Shankly to the jangly pop of The Boy With The Thorn In His Side to the epicness of There Is A Light That Never Goes Out. I don't think there has ever been a finer British band than The Smiths (bar the beatles) and this is their finest hour. An Excellent rhythm section, beautiful and original guitar work and fabulous lyrics.

Well, I haven't been awake all too long, so I'll go for last 24 hours rather than just today ...

Wolverine - Still (9/10)
Excellent album, though the middle has a couple of dull moments. The first song and last three are exceptional.

Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures (9.5/10)
I don't know why people rate Closer over Unknown Pleasures, as I think Unknown Pleasures is better in almost every single way. I'd go as far to say that songs such as Disorder, New Dawn Fades, and She's Lost Control are each better than most of Closer combined.

Dream Theater - Cleaning Out The Closet: 1999 Fanclub CD (8.5/10)
For a collection of out-takes and rare material, this CD is absolutely exceptional. How songs like To Live Forever, Eve, Raise The Knife, and Speak To Me didn't make an album is beyond me. Some of my favourite Dream Theater material is on this disc.

Dream Theater - Falling Into Infinity (6/10 - 9/10)
Why are there two rankings? Well, this album is often blasted as DT's worst album, and if you play the complete thing, the crap songs drag it down to 6/10, but I've chucked them off iTunes (may You Not Me burn in the hell of deleted files forever and ever, amen), and the album now sounds fantastic. Songs such as New Millennium, Peruvian Skies, Hollow Years, Lines In The Sand, and Trial Of Tears are incredible.

Neal Morse - ? (9/10)
Former lead singer of Spock's Beard, now a Christian progressive rock artist, and he makes some of the only decent Christian music I've ever heard.

Back
Top Bottom