Rate R.E.M.'s albums

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

u2popmofo

Blue Meth Addict
Rate them in the order of your liking. Rate all of them or rate a few. Just do it.

1. Murmur
2. Reckoning
3. Automatic For the People
4. Document
5. New Adventures in HiFi
6. Life's Rich Pageant
7. Green
8. Out of Time
9. Up
10. Monster

1. Out Of Time
2. Up
3. Life's Rich Pageant
4. New Adventures in Hi-Fi
5. Automatic for the People
6. Monster
7. Fables of the Reconstruction
8. Green
9. Reckoning
10. Document
11. Murmur
12. Reveal
13. Around the Sun

Out of Time would be #1 if it were only a single of Country Feedback with Shiny Happy People as a b-side. that's how fucking good Country Feedback is.

I don't have them all, but I'll do my best.

1. Automatic
2. Murmur
3. Monster
4. Document
5. Reckoning
6. Up
7. Out Of Time
8. Life's Rich Pageant
9. New Adventures In Hi-Fi
10. Green

As low as I ranked Reveal and Around the Sun, it's still a testement to how strong the band is, when I still consider Around the Sun at least a "good" album in the spectrum of popular music.

They're not bad in the grand scheme of things, just bad for REM (which in some way makes them that much more disappointing for me)

I just realized I don't own Fables.....

Glad to see Up so high....up, Lance, and that you didn't slobber all over Automatic. Major points off for the low ranking of Document, however.

1. Lifes Rich Pageant (no apostrophe, guys, remember Stipe's typewriter was broken when he put down the title :nerd: )
2. New Adventures in Hi-Fi
3. Document
4. Murmur
5. Automatic for the People
6. Up
7. Out of Time (sorry, but Shiny Happy People IS bad enough to weigh this one down)
8. Monster
9. Fables of the Reconstruction
11. Dead Letter Office (w/ or w/o Chronic Town)
12. Reckoning
13. Green
14. Milk left in the refrigerator 3 weeks past the due date
15. A turd that didn't go down on the first flush
16. Reveal and Around the Sun (tie)

Last edited:
I don't have them all either. I'm missing Reckoning, Dead Letter Office, Reveal and Around The Sun. Anyway...

1. Automatic
2. Monster
3. Out Of Time
4. New Adventures
5. Lifes Rich Pageant
6. Document
7. Up
8. Murmur
9. Fables
10. Green

I think that's accurate. :hmm: And I stand by what I said. Up is fantastic but still at #7.

REM :love:

Lancemc said:
As low as I ranked Reveal and Around the Sun, it's still a testement to how strong the band is, when I still consider Around the Sun at least a "good" album in the spectrum of popular music.

36063293_e5c24ceace.jpg

That...is why you fail.

LemonMelon said:

:sad: I am a terrible fan.

Must re-listen now:

Begin the Begin
These Days
Fall on Me
Cuyahoga
Flowers of Guatemala
I Believe
Swan Swan H

I'm not sure if there's another R.E.M. album with this many phenomenal songs. All 7 of them are 4-star tracks.

This is really hard.

1. Life's Rich Pageant (screw Stipe's typewriter; I use apostrophes, dammit!)
2. Automatic For the People
3. New Adventures In Hi-Fi
4. Reckoning
5. Murmur
6. Monster
7. Out of Time
8. Fables of the Reconstruction
9. Document
10. Green
11. Up
12. Around the Sun
13. Reveal

I switched some of them around a bunch of times, and nothing looks right. There's too many of them that I like equally.

But Reveal is probably the only one I rarely listen to all the way through.

There's a typo in the video for Fall On Me, with the words on the screen. I'm not going to start typing that word incorrectly, either! :grumpy:

(I don't remember which word ... there was some MTV special back when Out of Time came out, and I remember Stipe pointing it out, and then they showed that frame from the video. Sure enough! Misspelled.)

1. Lifes Rich Pageant
2. New Adventures
3. Monster
4. Up
5. Automatic
6. Green
7. Out Of Time
8. LP14
9. Reveal
10. Murmur
11. Document
12. Around The Sun
13. Reckoning
14. Fables

corianderstem said:
There's a typo in the video for Fall On Me, with the words on the screen. I'm not going to start typing that word incorrectly, either! :grumpy:

(I don't remember which word ... there was some MTV special back when Out of Time came out, and I remember Stipe pointing it out, and then they showed that frame from the video. Sure enough! Misspelled.)

If I'm not mistaken, the wrong word was "foresight", probably spelled "forsight".

I'm surprised to see Reckoning so low. Granted I'm a major sucker for that very early REM sound, but I think it's incredibly solid and strong personally. Sometimes I even think I like it more than Murmur (which I ranked as #1 if you don't remember).

I only rated Reckoning and Fables so low because they are really the last two albums I got around to listening to, and maybe I just haven't listened to them enough to appreciate them yet..

That said, I really like that early REM sound, and I love Harborcoat, Pretty Persuasion, Maps and Legends, and Letter Never Sent.

The reason I rate the other albums so high, Monster through Up, might have to do more with the memories associated with these albums than the actual quality of music. Each of these albums takes me to a specific time in my life, and looking back now, they seem like some of the happiest.

Anyways, I love how large and diverse the REM catalog is.

Harborcoat is in my Top 5 R.E.M. songs. but the second half of the album gets a little weak in my opinion.

Fables suffers from the same problem. I know almost every pre-pathetic (read 2000-present) R.E.M. song by heart, save for the last few on that album. I couldn't hum Wendell Gee or Auctioneer if my life depended on it.

I'm only a casual REM fan, so I'll rank what I'm familiar with:

1. Automatic for the People
2. Life's Rich Pageant (I'm sorry but misplaced apostrophes on professional artwork irritate the heck out of me, :mad:)
3. Out of Time
4. Document
5. Reveal

I enjoyed the first four, but I took Reveal to the second-hand CD store during one of my collection purges. I found it really frustrating because many songs would start promisingly and then just wouldn't go anywhere.

Back
Top Bottom