Rangers Reliever Throws Chair At Fans - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Old 09-15-2004, 03:14 PM   #16
love, blood, life
Local Time: 11:52 AM
Originally posted by Hewson
The most shocking aspect of this story is that it didn't take place at US Cellular Field(aka New Comiskey)
Its the fans who get unruly at "the Cell" - its the baseball players at Wrigley.

The Sox are in Minnesota this week while Florida and Montreal play at "the cell" - I am not sure if anyone in North America could get excited about a Marlins V. Expos match up! Or at least not excited enough to throw a chair.

Old 09-16-2004, 04:08 AM   #17
Blue Crack Addict
Local Time: 01:52 PM
I blame Bobby Knight

Old 09-17-2004, 10:16 AM   #18
Local Time: 12:52 PM
My opinion:

(1) It's never okay to throw a chair at someone, no matter what they say to you or yell at you. Once you throw a chair at someone, you deserve to be charged with assault, and you automatically lose all moral high ground in the situation. "S/he hurt my feelings, so I walloped him/her with a folding chair."? Um, no.

(2) It has nothing to do with how much he's getting paid. More money doesn't mean you have to take more guff in the workplace-- that's a pretty stupid notion. But it's the nature of his workplace that stupid people show up and get drunk and yell at him. He should be able to deal with it by now. But it's not a case of poor fans and evil money-hungry athletes who should be punished. Weren't these people season ticket holders? Those aren't exactly cheap. And IMO if you're going to pay a lot for tickets or cable packages, you lose all right to complain about the money these guys are making, because you're feeding into the system. Watch college ball or triple-a instead, if it bothers you that much.

(3) How'd this dude get to the majors without dealing with taunts before? I mean, seriously? When I was playing fracking highschool slow pitch softball in Rhode Island, people (often parents) used to heckle us. For some reason all sporting events ALWAYS attract losers who get off on making fun of players, whether it's little league parents taking thing way too seriously or these people. They're little people*, stupid people, drunk people, or some combination of the three. You deal with it by not paying attention because they're not worth it, and by knowing that if you're making them feel insecure enough that they're shouting at you, you've already won. At a major league level, why wouldn't you just think "Haha! Some moron actually PAID a lot of money to get in here to yell shit at me! Don't these dumbasses realize they're paying my salary? Thank you God for this athletic ability and for populating the Earth with suckers!" I mean, really, dude. It's not all that bad.

(4) The fans, the player, and ballpark security (if it was getting out of hand, or if the taunts were really provocative or graphic, why didn't they ask them to stop or at least glare at them sternly?) are all at fault here.

*metaphorically speaking. I didn't mean 'people with dwarfism' and I can't think of another way to put it. anyway...